help and advice needed

Associate
I hope there is somebody on here who can help. I have virgin Broadband (which whilst very good ) and two wifi Boosters around the house but m y signal often drops out or is very week. The issue I have is that I am having a log cabin installed next month for use as a home office so need to ensure that I can get a good wifi signal down there for computers and TV etc. I know very little about the world of routers wifi extenders etc so could somebody explain to me in the dumbest of terms how I can improve the signal down to the cabin which is about 60 feet from the rear of my house.

We have a lot of devices ( 20+ ) which run off of the Wifi and despite having the 200mps package we suffer from Buffering . any help would be appreciated

Soldato
I'd install network cables in ducting so they can be replaced if needs be. Is there a trench to get the mains out there? If so you can follow the same route.

Fibre would be the preferred option, but copper would do.

Man of Honour
Ethernet cables are best.

If that's not possible then powerline ethernet may work. This bridges an ethernet signal over your electrical wiring. You plug one daapter into an electrical socket in the house (then connect it to an ethernet port on your router) and a second adapter into an electrical socket in your garden shed (with ethernet connected to your laptop/PC).

If that's not possible then wireless is your only option. But you could look at directional yaggi antennas for a stronger signal.

Caporegime
As above, I'd go with Powerline adapters (if every device has an Ethernet port that is)...
You'll get much better throughput and wont suffer from any dropouts or contention issues.

Setup :-

In the house, connect 1 Ethernet cable to 1 Powerline adapter (gigabit ones are preferable). Connect the ethernet cable to both your Virgin router and a single powerline adapter. Then plug the adapter into a power socket.

In the cabin, do the above with the other powerline adapter, but this time after plugging it into a power socket connect the Ethernet cable between it and a network switch (with enough ports on it for all your devices). Now connect ethernet cables from the switch to all your devices. Hey presto, they're all wired into your home network.

Example Powerline adapter(s) : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-l...line-starter-kit-tl-pa7017-kit-nw-21y-tp.html
Example 8 port switch : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-link-8-port-gigabit-desktop-switch-tl-sg1008d-v8-nw-175-tp.html

Can't type for toffee
Don
I hope there is somebody on here who can help. I have virgin Broadband (which whilst very good ) and two wifi Boosters around the house but m y signal often drops out or is very week. The issue I have is that I am having a log cabin installed next month for use as a home office so need to ensure that I can get a good wifi signal down there for computers and TV etc. I know very little about the world of routers wifi extenders etc so could somebody explain to me in the dumbest of terms how I can improve the signal down to the cabin which is about 60 feet from the rear of my house.

We have a lot of devices ( 20+ ) which run off of the Wifi and despite having the 200mps package we suffer from Buffering . any help would be appreciated

If yer BB has been tested by VM and no fault found and your confident that speeds@router with ethernet are fine then its ya wireless to blame.
I'd not bother with PLA's to the cabin, you'll be laying power/ducting anyway just install ethernet at the same time.
PLA's also rely on yer mains earth wire and if thats poor then your speeds would be as well.
I'd overspec the ducting and make sure to install a pull cord

Ethernet from Cabin>House>Router
Then in the cabin you can connect a switch and whatever device you need by Ethernet.
Alternatively a small wifi AP in the cabin if you are 100% needing wifi

Also for the main house load up InSSIDer or similar and see whats happening on the wifi around you.
Amend settings as needed, you may even find that avoiding the congested channels you may not even need the boosters.

Back
Top Bottom