Get Secure With NordVPN? Review and Discount

Capodecina
Soldato
Is NordVPN still considered to be the best available?
I have read some good reports about UltraVPN and TunnelBear.
The former seems to be considered to be more secure / private than NordVPN and the latter is free.

Soldato
I can recommend SurfShark,

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.

I'm using Wireguard protocol on my Windows 10 download box and get around 230Mbps/120Mbps D/U I am on a 920/120 connection with BT.
That's connected to a server based in London at present. and is CPU limited in testing as that machine only gets around 450Mpbs/120Mbps D/U when not on the VPN.

I get the slightly faster speeds connected to Surfsharks servers in New York 260Mbps/120Mbps D/U I have been happy with the connection and how its been.
The desktop app is great, minimalist, offers the usual kill switch, auto detect fastest server and so on options.

As above if you want more info feel free to drop me a line.

Soldato
I can recommend SurfShark,

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.

I'm using Wireguard protocol on my Windows 10 download box and get around 230Mbps/120Mbps D/U I am on a 920/120 connection with BT.
That's connected to a server based in London at present. and is CPU limited in testing as that machine only gets around 450Mpbs/120Mbps D/U when not on the VPN.

I get the slightly faster speeds connected to Surfsharks servers in New York 260Mbps/120Mbps D/U I have been happy with the connection and how its been.
The desktop app is great, minimalist, offers the usual kill switch, auto detect fastest server and so on options.

As above if you want more info feel free to drop me a line.

Interesting to see such level of split tunnelling in their Windows app. I have only been aware of Express VPN who also do the same thing. It seems that you can do that by IP, but that can be done by policy routing,by actual app or by website - if I have understood it correctly.

I read a favourable review....

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/surfshark

and the only criticism that concerned me was....

A kill switch is on hand to block your internet connection if the VPN drops. It works, too, but not quite as well as we'd like.

Our first issue is that it's only available in the most extreme form, where the kill switch prevents you accessing the internet at all, ever, unless you're connected to Surfshark. We prefer the more standard approach where the kill switch is only active if the connection drops within a VPN session, and you still have the option to close the app and use your regular internet connection, instead.

In another complication, although the kill switch successfully blocked our internet traffic when we forcibly closed the VPN, it didn't display any notification to alert the user. If you're browsing and the VPN drops, all you'll see is your internet connection fails with no obvious reason why. This may only last for a few seconds, until the app auto-reconnects, but it's still potentially annoying.

If you don't have the kill switch active, the problem gets worse. If the VPN drops, not only will your connection remain active, but the client won't warn you. And as we found the app occasionally failed to reconnect, again without warning the user, your identity and data could be exposed for some time.

Surfshark's Windows client needs some work, then, but it's generally easy to use and there's a lot of functionality to explore.

seems cheap enough as well.

Soldato
@Vimes Hmmm I'll be honest I haven't tried the kill switch, but certainly does seem extreme!!

I moved over from ExpressVPN as it was expensive, their kill switch worked as you'd expect the only time i used it.

Also I wonder what version of SurfShark they tried?

I think you can get a free trial to see if it would meet your needs.

Drop me a DM if you decide to go for it, I can refer you and we'd both get a month free.

Soldato
Recently dumped Nord and moved over to Surfshark. Have it installed on my Android phone, iPad and Windows desktop and using the Chrome browser extension on my work laptop.
Seems much more stable than Nord which would constantly just disconnect and the browser extension often just plain refused to let me log in.

Not a had single disconnect or log in issue yet and am able to max out my VM 500mb connection though I've only test the actual speed a couple of times.

nam

nam

Soldato
Thank you just signed up for Surfshark too :)

Recently dumped Nord and moved over to Surfshark. Have it installed on my Android phone, iPad and Windows desktop and using the Chrome browser extension on my work laptop.
Seems much more stable than Nord which would constantly just disconnect and the browser extension often just plain refused to let me log in.

Not a had single disconnect or log in issue yet and am able to max out my VM 500mb connection though I've only test the actual speed a couple of times.

Soldato
Thank you just signed up for Surfshark too :)

Just having a quick look and am I right in thinking that their Windows app supports split tunneling.? Where you can select what apps that you would wish to run through the VPN tunnel and the rest through your WAN connection.?

If so have you tried it?

Thanks

Capodecina
Soldato
What is the current favourite / most economical commercial end-user VPN? I have been asked by someone who wants to appear to be inths USA to recommend one and as I have no need for or experience of any end-user VPN I am at a loss.

I have looked at ExpressVPN (allegedly the best), NordVPN, SurfShark (seemingly the cheapest) and the Mozilla one but don't feel able to advise which one is best. I know that some of them offer a free 30 day trial but am not sure how I would evaluate them anyhow.

Associate
What is the current favourite / most economical commercial end-user VPN? I have been asked by someone who wants to appear to be inths USA to recommend one and as I have no need for or experience of any end-user VPN I am at a loss.

I have looked at ExpressVPN (allegedly the best), NordVPN, SurfShark (seemingly the cheapest) and the Mozilla one but don't feel able to advise which one is best. I know that some of them offer a free 30 day trial but am not sure how I would evaluate them anyhow.
https://twitter.com/snowden/status/1438291654239215619?lang=en

AirVPN and Mullvad are both good. The Mozilla one uses Mullvad servers so there's no point choosing it over Mullvad directly; it's more expensive, can't pay with crypto, and has to be tied to a working email address. AirVPN usually has a sale around Halloween and Black Friday, if you buy the 3 year subscription during the sale it's a lot cheaper than Mullvad.

Soldato
I've used ExpressVPN for years but it's no good for streaming Netflix or anything and no port forwarding for games. It is expensive though.

I'm contemplating jumping to Surfshark but am not sure which to choose to be honest.

Man of Honour
I use Cyberghost.
I normally get 390mbps download but this amount with VPN on.

speedamsterdam.png

Soldato
So ended up switching to Surfshark... They had an 80% off for the 2 year plan, coupled with an 80% cash back offer on TopCashback. Means a 2 year deal cost me £8.43, much better than the £12.99 a month I was paying before lol

Soldato
I've got 3 days of Nordvpn left.. Not used in a while but just tried to log in... What an ass... Endless loop of trying to open app.. needing to login, Login successful but app still wants me to log in.
Bye bye then
Cyberghost looks good and has a deal

Man of Honour
I've got 3 days of Nordvpn left.. Not used in a while but just tried to log in... What an ass... Endless loop of trying to open app.. needing to login, Login successful but app still wants me to log in.
Bye bye then
Cyberghost looks good and has a deal

I had Cyberghost earlier this year.
I normally have a 390 download but still get around 350 with VPN on.
I'll be honest though, how I use my PC and devices I don't need that power and my £15 lifetime FastestVPN is good enough.

Soldato
Privateinternetaccess is the best I've used, so polished, ace app, I'm actually trying google vpn at the moment but it has absolutely no options and messes with my home network, hopefully it improves with updates

Associate
I am on my second 2 year NordVPN subscription now, and find the service very reliable and have seen few speed issues. That said, I am finding that more websites are flagging some of the IP addresses as spam (I tend to use London based servers).

I have always purchased a subscription when an offer was on - see the price has been ok.

Back
Top Bottom