NP: The now playing thread

Associate
This is what I'm listening to right now. On order for two months, arrived this afternoon and now I'm like a kid at Christmas. No visual material, so I'll throw out one of their underrated tracks for sake of the thread!

Associate
Tom Morello's new 5-track EP 'Comandante' is juicy.

Opens with a take on Hendrix's Voodoo Child straight from his Rage-era box of syncopated tricks. The second track, Interstate 80, is a duel with Slash over a rap vocal, leading into Secretariat, a brief instrumental tribute to Eddie Van Halen. Suburban Guerilla brings more of a funk groove, accented by his trademark guitar squiddling. The closer, Cato Stedman & Neptune Frost, is quite a heavy blues-based track. Overall, very good indeed. Limiting the vocal to one track also works well and gives Morello the chance to fully showcase his not insignificant array of talents.

The fifth album by The Slow Readers Club - 91 Days in Isolation.

There's just a hint in the musicianship and Aaron Starkie's vocal of a band I have a huge amount of appreciation for, version one of The Mayan Factor during the era of their deceased former singer, Ray Schuler. Starkie doesn't have the same ragged edge or darkness to his vocal as Schuler, but there's a similar tone and he can really uplift. And this is an outstanding track:

Back
Top Bottom