Best option to improve the wi-fi in my house

Associate
Hi all,

The wife doesn't want me to mount anything on the wall or ceiling so I'm looking for something to improve the wi-fi in our house that is unobtrusive.

I assume I can't just get a unifi AP and sit it on the shelf where the other AV stuff lives... so what's my best option for an "attractive" yet decent unit?
(everything lives on an Ikea Kallax unit in the living room so it would live in one of the cubes)

It's more the volume of devices connected than the range I think, too many Echo/iPad/phones and so on.

Thanks. :)

Soldato
Unifi have non wall/ceiling mount unit called FlexHD which is a desktop type AP but personally I would try and make sure whatever you get is as central in the property if you are going for just one. I have a a small 3 bed semi and a single NanoHD mounted on the landing ceiling covers the whole properly fine, larger properties may be better off with an AP either end.

Soldato
... This begs the question, Unifi AP's are generally less visually obtrusive than a smoke alarm or light fitting, how much time does your wife spend looking up at the ceiling to be annoyed by an AP in a hallway or landing? I mean if you were putting it above her side of the bed, I would have questions, but this just seems odd.

Associate
OP
... This begs the question, Unifi AP's are generally less visually obtrusive than a smoke alarm or light fitting, how much time does your wife spend looking up at the ceiling to be annoyed by an AP in a hallway or landing? I mean if you were putting it above her side of the bed, I would have questions, but this just seems odd.

It's more the wiring than the actual unit, I'd need to channel the RJ45 through the wall and decorate just to improve the range. If I can find a none invasive solution it'll be more accepted. :)

She wasn't keen on me tacking a CAT lead around the skirting either to make the router more central to the house.

I might take a punt on a Unifi AP and see if it helps from it's current location at one side of the house.

Back
Top Bottom