• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
But yet, for many years that's what Xbox users have had to deal with and Sony fanboys rub it in at every chance they get. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, all of a sudden what's good for the goose isn't for the gander eh? Prior to the acquisition of Bethesda, the fanboys were harping on about how the Xbox Series X and S are rubbish with no exclusives and that the PlayStation is a far superior console just for that, and now faced with the prospect of losing some big titles, they're crying. It's hilarious, yet I'm a hypocrite for saying I want Microsoft to succeed given that the value in the Xbox is far greater for us as consumers with Game Pass, backward compatibility, support for existing peripherals, PC cross-platform saves and game access to name a few.

As an, I'm assuming, adult, why do you even care about what 'fanboys' say about a bloody games console? Your rhetoric is definitely along the lines of the 'fanboys' you purport to not be a part of. Just take a breather and try to get your point across in a coherent way and we'll all have a better time. If someone told me my car is rubbish I'm not going to get riled up about it, it's no different to a console. If your mental health is being affected by online talk about video games it's really not healthy.

Soldato
As an, I'm assuming, adult, why do you even care about what 'fanboys' say about a bloody games console? Your rhetoric is definitely along the lines of the 'fanboys' you purport to not be a part of. Just take a breather and try to get your point across in a coherent way and we'll all have a better time. If someone told me my car is rubbish I'm not going to get riled up about it, it's no different to a console. If your mental health is being affected by online talk about video games it's really not healthy.
this .

Soldato

I'm hardly riled up. I've said I think it's amusing that the attitude has changed now that things are different. I'm also not sure what's not coherent in my posts. But clearly you have an axe to grind. I'm done with this anyway. It's a rather pointless debate now.

Soldato
The cost is getting Monthly Active Users into the Microsoft ecosystem.

That's not the cost, the cost is every sale they won't get on other platforms if full exclusivity is the route they go down. I'm sure they're no stranger to those economics given it's something that's been done with individual titles or other studios in the past, but with the shift to subscriptions and seemingly the end to people on Xbox playing £50+ for a Bethesda game, I'm curious to know how that $100m or $300m or whatever figure actually gets divided out.

I know it's not necessarily the same thing but with Spotify (and other services) in the spotlight recently for how much they actually contribute to artists, I do wonder whether it's representative of the wider subscription model across other aspects of media/entertainment too:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54551342

Associate
On the plus side they can now concentrate coding exclusively for Direct X and not have to share time and resources to PS5, this can only be good and they could make use of series s/x specific features

Soldato
Just a thought, if I buy DLC (highly unlikely but beside the point) for a game on GP and then that game gets removed, I take it I'm effectively locked out of it unless I buy the game?

Caporegime
OP
On the plus side they can now concentrate coding exclusively for Direct X and not have to share time and resources to PS5, this can only be good and they could make use of series s/x specific features

Not only GNM(X) for PS5 but they won't have to arse about with Vulkan and Linux for Google Stadia either.

Associate
That's not the cost, the cost is every sale they won't get on other platforms if full exclusivity is the route they go down. I'm sure they're no stranger to those economics given it's something that's been done with individual titles or other studios in the past, but with the shift to subscriptions and seemingly the end to people on Xbox playing £50+ for a Bethesda game, I'm curious to know how that $100m or $300m or whatever figure actually gets divided out.

I know it's not necessarily the same thing but with Spotify (and other services) in the spotlight recently for how much they actually contribute to artists, I do wonder whether it's representative of the wider subscription model across other aspects of media/entertainment too:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54551342

I don't think they care about the lost sales to Sony. They would lose a 30% cut to them anyway, enticing people into Game Pass is way more important for Xbox.
Regarding dividing the subs out again does it matter? If they are making $500million a month constantly from subs it all goes into the same pot and this will only grow over time.

Game Pass and Xcloud will be on Consoles,PCs,Tablets,Phones,laptops, they have a partnership with Samsung and soon other TV manufactures.They even got it working streaming games to a fridge! They need regular content monthly and big blockbuster games to make a splash and get people onboard. Thats why they purchased Bethesda, I see no reason why the games will be on competing platforms unless its via Game pass.

Caporegime
OP
I really hope Uplay+ comes to Xbox and maybe as part of Game Pass as well. I don't understand why Ubisoft haven't introduced their equivalent to EA Play on consoles already. Unless it's because they always planned to side with Amazon Luna. They have a Ubisoft channel on there with a lot of games. What a bummer.

Soldato
No me neither. If the Gears games, for example, would ever get removed from Game Pass, I'd have to snap them up.

Speaking of, although I don't think it's my kind of game I'll try it. I see on PC I have a choice of Gears Ultimate which I assume is the original updated, 4 and 5 ultimate and the spin off. Is this a series where if you don't care about the story too much you can still enjoy it? I have no way to play 2 or 3 at the moment which is why I ask as I'd rather just play the 'best' ones.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Does anyone know what happens if you output a Series X at 1440p? Downscale 4k to 1440p, 1440p with more frames?

I would assume it would downscale like the One X does from 4k when you connect it to a 1080p display

edit - unless a game has a specific option to output at a lower resolution in its own options

Associate
Speaking of, although I don't think it's my kind of game I'll try it. I see on PC I have a choice of Gears Ultimate which I assume is the original updated, 4 and 5 ultimate and the spin off. Is this a series where if you don't care about the story too much you can still enjoy it? I have no way to play 2 or 3 at the moment which is why I ask as I'd rather just play the 'best' ones.

Gears 4 was kind of a soft reboot anyway and start of a new trilogy. You could start with 4 and play 5 :)

Soldato
I don't think they care about the lost sales to Sony. They would lose a 30% cut to them anyway, enticing people into Game Pass is way more important for Xbox.

I'm sure they do care because it's money and they can't entice anyone onto GamePass on a platform where it doesn't exist. I'm more curious to know how that's factored into any decision they make in future regarding these titles.

Regarding dividing the subs out again does it matter? If they are making $500million a month constantly from subs it all goes into the same pot and this will only grow over time.

It won't go into one pot though, because they have a mix of games from first-party devs and third-party devs, and even the first-party ones will have their own budget allocation and expect the subsequent amount of revenue in return for their most popular games. When you're dealing with unit sales that's easy, but with a subscription model it must surely be more complicated.

I see no reason why the games will be on competing platforms unless its via Game pass.

All their current games are available to buy individually, why would that change? Plenty of people don't want to tie themselves into a subscription.

Back
Top Bottom