Z490 USB-C power

Soldato
I have a Z490 Aorus Master which has USB-C ports front and rear.

Now I know the official specs for USB-C connections are up to 100W power but I don't think that means all USB-C ports have to provide that, does it?

How on earth do I find out how much power my ports will provide? The website and manual, both for my board and pretty much all Z490 boards, has zero information on this. Gigabyte provide a utility to configure power levels for USB-A connections but nothing for the USB-C ports.

Associate
So I had the same problem finding any info on my board. Looking at the manual for yours, it does have gigabytes' 'USB Turbo Charger' which supports apple fast charge or qualcomm's QC3.0. It supports up to 18W for QC3 and 10-15w for Apple, depending on the device being charged. I think it's all at 5v, but I'm not sure. It also supports some other battery charging spec i've not heard of before, but that's limited to 1.5A/7.5w. It's also 18W across all connectors, not each port.

However, this only applies to the front USB headers, once you've installed the software for it. It's also not for any of the ports on the back, and not the USB C one either. The manual says the usb-c ports don't support the turbo charge tech, and as far as I can tell, they are 5v only, and most likely 1A or lower, so 5w max. They don't support usb power delivery or anything like that. I think it's still really hard to find any mobo that supports it to be honest.

Also, with the QC3.0 stuff, whatever you are charging has to support the same tech. If it doesn't, then it's limited to 5v/1A, so 5w.

Back
Top Bottom