** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
looks like my issues with scanlines go away in PIP mode but I can't be 100% sure because it doesn't allow me to use 240hz on PIP mode. also, when using PIP mode DSC seems to be always OFF. which would reinforce the theories that this may be an issue related to DSC (and possible the firmware).

how you did you downgraded to 1005.4? I tried to downgrade from 1006.2 but it didn't allow me.

Associate
Looks like a new firmware it's coming, just saw a picture in reddit (user Levious93).

https://ibb.co/nbn3NXR
nbn3NXR

Associate
I have my first attempt on the G9 in the post. I'm hoping like a lot of people this latest batch have ironed out some of the earlier issues. I noticed on Samsung Swedish website they have a disclaimer clearly stating that G-sync at 240Hz will require the very latest Nvidia 30 series cards in order to work, didn't see any of that on Samsung UK. Here's the link, https://www.samsung.com/se/monitors/odyssey-g9/

Associate
So I had a June G9, it had no dead pixels and no major flicker issues (it had the odd rare flicker on dark loading screens but didn't flicker in game) but it did have a few other issues:

1) bezel light leak - I could have lived with it, it was about 1.5cm wide but faint
2) The bottom 1/2 cm of the screen faded to grey across the whole width (possibly mis-aligned LED's) - the 1st real reason why I returned it
3) The back popped like crazy as it warmed up - annoying but I'd have still kept it
4) Windows wouldn't notice it half the time - the 2nd reason why I returned it

So, it went back. Today, I got an N8 (august) model, but unfortunately it has:

1) A cluster of two adjacent completely dead pixels (that means I'm covered by ISO 13406-2, so I can send it back)
2) It has major flicker issues on dark loading screens, I've also noticed bad flicker on cut scenes and the odd rare flicker in game
3) bottom 1/2cm of the screen fades to grey but it is a lot less apparent than the previous one that I sent back - to be honest, I could live with the fading on this one since it is so slight.

Unfortunately, I'll be returning it for attempt 3. Feelling really disappointed. I must admit, before I got this one, I figured the amount of flicker was probably directly related to the spec of the hardware driving the monitor, but the G9 that arrived to day showed me that isn't the case - unless GPU suddenly isn't feeling well... only on loading screens and cut scenes lol.

Associate
I've got my 4th attempt arriving tomorrow direct from Samsung. I now have 3 G9's on my credit cards, waiting for refunds for 2 monitors lol :D

Happy to say it was an N8 that turned up today direct from manufacturer. Fired it up and no issues so far - haven't heard any popping noises yet either. Early days again though, here goes another 28 days of testing this thing out but so far so good..

Associate
So I had a June G9, it had no dead pixels and no major flicker issues (it had the odd rare flicker on dark loading screens but didn't flicker in game) but it did have a few other issues:

1) bezel light leak - I could have lived with it, it was about 1.5cm wide but faint
2) The bottom 1/2 cm of the screen faded to grey across the whole width (possibly mis-aligned LED's) - the 1st real reason why I returned it
3) The back popped like crazy as it warmed up - annoying but I'd have still kept it
4) Windows wouldn't notice it half the time - the 2nd reason why I returned it

So, it went back. Today, I got an N8 (august) model, but unfortunately it has:

1) A cluster of two adjacent completely dead pixels (that means I'm covered by ISO 13406-2, so I can send it back)
2) It has major flicker issues on dark loading screens, I've also noticed bad flicker on cut scenes and the odd rare flicker in game
3) bottom 1/2cm of the screen fades to grey but it is a lot less apparent than the previous one that I sent back - to be honest, I could live with the fading on this one since it is so slight.

Unfortunately, I'll be returning it for attempt 3. Feelling really disappointed. I must admit, before I got this one, I figured the amount of flicker was probably directly related to the spec of the hardware driving the monitor, but the G9 that arrived to day showed me that isn't the case - unless GPU suddenly isn't feeling well... only on loading screens and cut scenes lol.

re. Flicker: Interesting...

Any chance for a video to understand exactly the flickering degree?

Associate
So, I've been checking the Samsung website often to see if the G9 is back in stock and it hasn't been. But today, I clicked on the Samsung page through Google's shopping tab and it comes up as in stock. If I manually search on the website though, it still says "Get stock alert".

I've now just realised that the one I was able to order says LC49G93TSSUXEN but the one out of stock is LC49G95TSSUXEN. Anyone know what the difference is?

My payment still says pending so I'm not sure if I just encountered a glitch that allowed me to place an order.

Edit: Order now says it has been placed. You really have to scroll to the bottom of the monitor page to find the 93 version, so definitely not a glitch. Hopefully it's a more recent version, I really want to order directly though Samsung so I can get the discount.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom