The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Once you exchange you have a vested interest in the property so it will need insurance. Have you tried speaking to your current insurers?

I did... I subsequently found a More Than web page that explained the situation with needing buildings insurance in place on exchange, so rang them back and it was magically sorted after I pointed out the relevant info on their web page.

Soldato
I did... I subsequently found a More Than web page that explained the situation with needing buildings insurance in place on exchange, so rang them back and it was magically sorted after I pointed out the relevant info on their web page.

How much extra did it cost you? I assumed it was covered into completion and then your policy was changed to new property?

Soldato
Viewed a house, offered asking on the way home.
The EA didn't even pass our offer on to the seller as we don't have an offer on our house yet so not ready to proceed.
We found out because the seller did the viewing and my partner took her number so that she could message her directly.

Seller has been told by their EA to ignore our offer and proceed with another offer they have had for £5k less with someone who is ready to proceed.
They not happy with the EA not even telling them about our offer.
However they are not ready to proceed yet as their offer hasn't been formally accepted on the house they want.

the sellers have been in the house for 36 years and would much prefer it to go to us as we are local and they know we will be raising a family in it as they have.

Question, generally how quickly did you guys get viewings/offers on your houses ?
Houses in our area have been going fairly quickly, ours has been on the market for a week now and no interest so far.

Associate
Anyone else get electrical inspection done ??

What does it involve and what kind of cost is it?

Yes prior to completion, I just wanted to be sure all was okay prior to completion and not looking at an expensive rewire etc.

From memory, it was £200+ based on the size of the property. They should check the sockets, consumer units, issues with wiring, RCDs (e.g. if you went to touch something plugged in, you wont get a shock) and switches.

When I moved in I chose to replace with a new (larger) consumer unit. I didn't strictly have to; as it was an advisory C3 warning. They class warnings as C1 (Danger Present), C2 (Potential Danger) and C3 is the lower risk (Improvement Recommended). Best to be safe and to be honest, the new unit is much better as can isolate zones and peace of mind.

Soldato
Starting to feel a bit sick. Tuesday is the day we should be completing on and moving in on (hope so as I've booked things for installation in the coming days!)

Yet I just have a stirring feeling that something is going to go wrong at the last minute. Been a long old year!

Associate
@Junglist I had the very same feelings last year, its so close - wishing you the very best of luck and I'm sure it will be fine. I completed 12 months ago, bloody stressful but its worth it. Good luck for Tuesday. :)

Soldato
Starting to feel a bit sick. Tuesday is the day we should be completing on and moving in on (hope so as I've booked things for installation in the coming days!)

Yet I just have a stirring feeling that something is going to go wrong at the last minute. Been a long old year!

Good luck!

I have the excitement of finding out if I completed on Friday or not....pretty sure the answer is no, but solicitor didn't deign to tell me before signing off for the weekend.

Am in in for exchange and complete Monday? Exchange Monday, complete later in the week?

Has the seller gone into labour and called the whole thing off? Has someone in the chain got Covid and ended up hospitalised?

I can't wait for week 41 of trying to buy a house.....

Soldato
Good luck!

I have the excitement of finding out if I completed on Friday or not....pretty sure the answer is no, but solicitor didn't deign to tell me before signing off for the weekend.

Am in in for exchange and complete Monday? Exchange Monday, complete later in the week?

Has the seller gone into labour and called the whole thing off? Has someone in the chain got Covid and ended up hospitalised?

I can't wait for week 41 of trying to buy a house.....

This is absolutely mental mate.. I sold/bought and moved in the space of 4 weeks last july. One thing that Scotland does way better is house purchasing...

Soldato
@Junglist I had the very same feelings last year, its so close - wishing you the very best of luck and I'm sure it will be fine. I completed 12 months ago, bloody stressful but its worth it. Good luck for Tuesday. :)

We've just been told by the solicitor that they've received the money from our mortgage provider and are expecting keys to be handed over between 12-2pm.

God I hope it all goes through. It's been a wild 10, almost 11, months of constant waiting and worrying. Luckily this thread has kept me a bit sane knowing we all face the same problems.

Here's to, hopefully, the end of having knots in the stomach!

Soldato
This is absolutely mental mate.. I sold/bought and moved in the space of 4 weeks last july. One thing that Scotland does way better is house purchasing...

It's so easy to fix, that's the most annoying part.

I'm now supposed to be exchanging today, for completion tomorrow. Maybe this will finally be it...

Soldato
Chasing EA and Solicitor again now, pretty hard. Target is to complete on the 30th, whch means I need an exchange this week so I can move out on the weekend. Its infuriating thats its taking this long and trying to get updates from anybody is like trying to get blood from a stone. It's doing my head in how unbeleivably hard it is to get any information from anybody

- GP

Soldato
Cheers, just got the call saying we've exchanged. Complete tomorrow

Going to try and get everything moved by the weekend....going back to a life that isn't dominated by a bloody property transaction is going to be weird, but I cannot wait :E

Awesome! Hopefully I can say the same tomorrow. We're all boxed up and ready to start moving

Back
Top Bottom