Weird network socket running from BT master socket

X3T

X3T

Associate
There is an RJ45 type socket in one of the bedrooms in my apartment which looks to have been put in by the previous owners (but I could be wrong).

While the socket itself is RJ45, the cable running out of it looks like standard telephone cable, and interestingly it runs into the BT master phone socket.

The master socket has the telephone connector, RJ11 connector for internet and this other cable runs into the bottom of the socket box directly with no connector.

Does anybody know what this is?

Soldato
Probably just been used as an extension socket if the cable is RJ11, so the router could be situated elsewhere. Just the faceplate is misleading I guess.

X3T

X3T

Associate
OP
Probably just been used as an extension socket if the cable is RJ11, so the router could be situated elsewhere. Just the faceplate is misleading I guess.
Yeah seems likely, however why did they put a CAT5/RJ45 connector on it? How would that even be wired up?

Soldato
You can run an RJ45 to RJ11 from that box if you have the right cable. This might have been an ADSL extension. I know this because it's how I run mine. :)

Same, took a normal extension cable from the filtered connection on the master socket and wired it into the middle pins of an rj45 socket, then i just use a normal rj11 cable terminated to rj45 (I think rj11 works directly in an rj45 socket also). That way I can have the router away from the master socket.
Of course after this I went FTTP

Permabanned
Same, took a normal extension cable from the filtered connection on the master socket and wired it into the middle pins of an rj45 socket, then i just use a normal rj11 cable terminated to rj45 (I think rj11 works directly in an rj45 socket also). That way I can have the router away from the master socket.
Of course after this I went FTTP

I made my own, ran about 20 meters with no sync loss at all. I still got full speeds. Worked a treat. Right next to where the incoming box is I added another box and looped over from BT Box RJ11 to RJ45 > RJ45 Box > Ethernet Cable Run > RJ45 Box > RJ45 to RJ11 > Router

X3T

X3T

Associate
OP
Thanks all! I was secretly hoping it would be an extension, as I want to hook my PC up to the router by cable which would have meant running another cable through the wall. I'll give that linked cable a go and see if it works, and if there is any speed loss.

Soldato
Thanks all! I was secretly hoping it would be an extension, as I want to hook my PC up to the router by cable which would have meant running another cable through the wall. I'll give that linked cable a go and see if it works, and if there is any speed loss.

Depending on the number of pairs in the cable, its quality/construction and the speed you require, you may still be able to, you can run 100Mbit over 2 pairs though its not commonly used now.

Permabanned
I made my own, ran about 20 meters with no sync loss at all. I still got full speeds. Worked a treat. Right next to where the incoming box is I added another box and looped over from BT Box RJ11 to RJ45 > RJ45 Box > Ethernet Cable Run > RJ45 Box > RJ45 to RJ11 > Router

This is a good plan. An Ethernet cable is twisted pair so it's better than an ordinary extension cable.

Back
Top Bottom