Does anyone here play games on Linux?

Soldato
I'm just wondering what the best advice is for playing games on Linux is at the moment. I've played some games from Steam which have a Linux version, but I'd like to play games like World of Warcraft and other games that don't have a proper Linux port.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm running the latest Nvidia proprietry drivers on a 1080Ti in OpenSUSE LEAP 15.2.

Soldato
OP
Check out Lutris, if you haven't already.

Blimey. That looks good. I was looking at the instructions for getting World of Warcraft working and while it seemed pretty easy and had good support on Linux it seems that using Lutris would just make it as easy as install and play. I'll have to check it out when I have some free time. Thanks for the info.

Soldato
OP
OK. I installed Lutris and the latest wine-staging which is what was said you should install if you are using proprietary drivers. I'll have a play around with it tomorrow and see if I can get anything working with it. I really want to play Supreme Commander again. I used to love that game.

Soldato
OP
I had a chance to open Lutris and joined the Discord server and the IRC channels for Lutris, Wine and Wine Staging but I have no idea what I am doing :D. I think I'm going to have to watch some YouTube tutorials. I couldn't get my Steam games to show up even though the runner was installed.

Soldato
Ubuntu 20.04 user here, I mainly use Proton for gaming which works quite well and protondb helps if I need to tweak. Generally as long as it doesn't use some stupid DRM, anti-cheat or third party spyware you'll be absolutely fine. Just research any titles on there before you buy them and it should give you a good idea on if they work or not.

Beyond Steam I run battle.net using Lutris to manage it's wine profile and settings and the retail client seems fine, i'm getting uneven performance with the WoW beta though, but that's always the case with new expansions.

Soldato
OP
Ubuntu 20.04 user here, I mainly use Proton for gaming which works quite well and protondb helps if I need to tweak. Generally as long as it doesn't use some stupid DRM, anti-cheat or third party spyware you'll be absolutely fine. Just research any titles on there before you buy them and it should give you a good idea on if they work or not.

Beyond Steam I run battle.net using Lutris to manage it's wine profile and settings and the retail client seems fine, i'm getting uneven performance with the WoW beta though, but that's always the case with new expansions.

I'm actually very impressed with gaming on Linux. Before I moved to Linux full time I kind of imagined I'd be playing at 30fps or something but Total War: Warhammer 2 which is a pretty demanding game works great and the Paradox grand strategy games have no problems either even though they say they require Ubuntu and I'm on OpenSUSE LEAP. This whole Wine and Lutris thing though is somewhat confusing as a new user. I'm going to have to do some reading. Like Supreme Commander is rated as Gold on ProtonDB which is great but users are saying you need to set some settings to make it work and I have no idea where you do that.

Soldato
OP
I got my Steam and GOG games imported into Lutris. So I'm halfway there. Just need to figure out what options are required for each game to play well. Not sure if I'll be able to play any of my Twitch games though. There doesn't seem to be support for that.

Soldato
I had a chance to open Lutris and joined the Discord server and the IRC channels for Lutris, Wine and Wine Staging but I have no idea what I am doing :D. I think I'm going to have to watch some YouTube tutorials. I couldn't get my Steam games to show up even though the runner was installed.

You need to make your Steam profile public, then connect your Steam account on your Lutris profile. For what it's worth, I've been playing WoW in Lutris for the last three or four years. Apart from the occasional issue when Blizzard update the game and it breaks Wine compatibility, it runs just as well as on Windows, as do most of the Blizzard games and many others.

Add Steam Proton to the mix and the gaming pool gets better and better. It's still not perfect and you may have to fiddle around here and there, but overall Linux gaming is a pretty good experience these days.

Soldato
OP
You need to make your Steam profile public, then connect your Steam account on your Lutris profile. For what it's worth, I've been playing WoW in Lutris for the last three or four years. Apart from the occasional issue when Blizzard update the game and it breaks Wine compatibility, it runs just as well as on Windows, as do most of the Blizzard games and many others.

Add Steam Proton to the mix and the gaming pool gets better and better. It's still not perfect and you may have to fiddle around here and there, but overall Linux gaming is a pretty good experience these days.

Yeah. Now I have Steam and GOG it is time to play around with World of Warcraft. I'm getting the hang of this but because I'm not a hardcore gamer it isn't at the top of my priority list. I also can't afford the subscription this month so I'll have to wait until November.

Capodecina
Soldato
My main machine runs Ubuntu 20.04 and I play games [mostly Skyrim/Left4dead/Witcher 1] through Steam using Proton 4.11, apart from Quake 1 which I use quakespasm for, whereas Wolfenstein 3D is played through ecwolf.

I used to run Slackware, then Debian on my main machine, but as it increasingly got more hardware bolted on, and then started being used for games, Ubuntu was really the only way to go since the graphics stack is more up to date and adding hard drives is a breeze. I think for any modern Linux system and gaming, Ubuntu is a great way to go.

ProtonDB, as cited earlier in the thread, is an extremely useful website for Linux gamers to check out prior to making a purchase.

Associate
Have been playing wow on Ubuntu for more than a year now, there have only been a few minor issues which you can sort out with a quick google. I guess it is highly compatible since they make a Mac version. There is also an addon helper called wowmatrix that has a native linux version. The TradeSkillMaster desktop application runs without a hint of a problem.

Associate
Pop!_OS (despite having a silly name) is also a great distribution for games. It's based on Ubuntu but maintained by System76. I use it with KDE rather than GNOME which comes as default.

Lutris and Steam are perfect for Linux gaming. In addition, there's a great person out there that goes by the name GloriousEggroll (GE for short) that modifies Proton builds which increase compatibility with lots of games. These modified Proton builds can be downloaded and placed into your Steam compatibility directory and then used in Steam with SteamPlay. I've written a few scripts that will automatically download and place these ready for use if you're interested. Sometimes that was the only way I could get some games to work (and not only that, I was impressed with their performance!).

I managed to get Supreme Commander Forged Alliance working with the popular Forged Alliance Forever unofficial addon which worked great, and it was nice to play it with friends again. If you can read and follow basic instructions, you can get pretty much any game to run in Linux these days.

Soldato
OP
Pop!_OS (despite having a silly name) is also a great distribution for games. It's based on Ubuntu but maintained by System76. I use it with KDE rather than GNOME which comes as default.

Lutris and Steam are perfect for Linux gaming. In addition, there's a great person out there that goes by the name GloriousEggroll (GE for short) that modifies Proton builds which increase compatibility with lots of games. These modified Proton builds can be downloaded and placed into your Steam compatibility directory and then used in Steam with SteamPlay. I've written a few scripts that will automatically download and place these ready for use if you're interested. Sometimes that was the only way I could get some games to work (and not only that, I was impressed with their performance!).

I managed to get Supreme Commander Forged Alliance working with the popular Forged Alliance Forever unofficial addon which worked great, and it was nice to play it with friends again. If you can read and follow basic instructions, you can get pretty much any game to run in Linux these days.

Thanks for your reply. I'll certainly see if I can SupCom working in that case. As for distribution I'd much rather stick to OpenSUSE LEAP. It is the best distribution I have ever used and I've used quite a few of them. No need to worry about the scripts although I appreciate the offer.

Associate
I've just ditched from Windows10 to Linux Mint.
Installed Steam, added in Wine, Lutris, Proton dependencies, then installed Wine and Lutris.

Chris Titus Tech - youtube channel has great linux videos and this article for which I follow.
Automated most of the things in the terminal.
https://christitus.com/ultimate-linux-gaming-guide/

Great article containing Linux gaming tricks and tips.
Only thing I didn't do from that list is bleeding edge kernal.

Back
Top Bottom