What watch do you wear?

Soldato
First time I've ever heard Rotary and Seiko in the same sentence.

I've always dismissed Rotary as when you look at them in shop windows they look like very middle of the road boring, and also the sort where the watches look like they'd be labelled 'Rotary' in one shop, and then 'Swiss Elegance' in the next.

Be interested to find out what the head-to-head results in given the SKX line has such a strong following (or at least did, before they hiked the prices so much).

Man of Honour
Same here, I'm a big fan of Oris and what they do in the watch industry.

More technical details here: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/oris-new-in-house-caliber-400

Good to see some decent movement (hehe) in this area. Hopefully over the next couple of years the upper end models from off the shelf movements from Miyota, STP etc start to move to more than 45hrs power reserve too and anti-magnetic features.

I received a message reply from Baltic yesterday too that they are looking into anti-magnetic for their future watches which is intriguing. Marloe did this with an anti-magnetic plate in the caseback so wonder if Baltic will do similar? Considering only a handful of watches use silicone hairsprings to avoid magnetism, this is still a thing that affects +90% of mechanical watches on the market I guess and these days more of an issue as we are surrounded by magnetic fields everywhere.

Although you can buy dmagnetisers off Amazon for £12 so not a huge deal I guess.

Soldato
Back to Grand Seiko for the first time in a while; I've missed this one:

20201015-223932.jpg

Associate
Cheers fella! Nice pile o' Casios too :D

Is that a date window I see there hidden at 3 :p Regardless of what many on the internet think about Bremont, I like their watches, even if they did falsely claim in-house on a model not too long ago and got globally rinsed for that!

Cheers @Rikki I have been watching a view of the channel vids and talks, all good stuff and will put some words together over coming days :cool:

I got a new watch today, nothing fancy, a £16 Casio W-86 which I just had to have to complete my F-91W transition collection. The A168 is the more modern transition from F91 I guess whilst this is the beefier, chunkier brother. I also didn't realise but the colours are inverted to my Cognit Schema which is quite cool. Love the pure matte case and the strap design is quite tool/sporty as well which fits the aesthetic. For £16 it's a bargain and feels 2x more substantial than an F=91W in every way and the buttons are bigger and softer to to press as well. F=91W still sells for £11...

lgZDhtt.jpg

And just for laughs...

C80P8mO.jpg

Associate
I was just looking at that when they announced it, really nice have to say but the battery compartment bulge at the back put me off I have to say!

Its of the era I think, my 1967 Accutron 214 has the same bump but you cant feel it.

You can feel the hairs being withdrawn from your arms though.

Soldato
Was looking through my Retro Watches book that i bought a couple of months back and spotted something on eBay that I'm keeping an eye on just now but while i had the book out i had a casual flick through and spotted the Tissot Astrolon aka IDEA 2001. https://www.watchonista.com/articles/technology/tissot-astrolon-synthetic-revolution

AP4Ghm9.jpg

Oddly enough i found one of these on eBay as well but its over a grand so decided against bidding on it :o

The sales noted on that website didn't do the watch justice in my opinion
Tissot sold only 15,000 pieces per year until 1976 and even had to dispose of a stock of 500,000 unsold pieces.
so a bit of a rare watch.

Man of Honour
I do like Tissot, they have a whole range of retro watches that could do with a re-release similar to what Timex have been doing recently. Hell Longines have given it a go too.

On note of straps, the Joesph Bonnie should hopefully arrive later today and I've been looking at more integrated deployment clasps and came across this:
https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/pr...-style-deployment-clasp?variant=2105297666057

I like the Omega style of deployment and how it fits flush between both strap ends so if I like this I'll keep otherwise return to watchobsession.

Back
Top Bottom