• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Suggested cooling for the 5900x?

Soldato
Thank you! Very clear post. Think I'm leaning towards the dark rock pro 4 or assassin 3 for my next build (probably 10700K, as I don't think the 5800X will deliver performance worth a £70 premium). By replacing thermal paste, do you mean that some coolers come with thermal paste already, but it's better to buy your own superior stuff?

Be careful of side panel case clearance if you are raising the front cpu fan for ram clearance on the bigger coolers. Some of them are already close to the side panel with the fan at default position. Worth checking case and cooler spec as well as ram height.

Man of Honour
Thank you! Very clear post. Think I'm leaning towards the dark rock pro 4 or assassin 3 for my next build (probably 10700K, as I don't think the 5800X will deliver performance worth a £70 premium). By replacing thermal paste, do you mean that some coolers come with thermal paste already, but it's better to buy your own superior stuff?

Yeah, for example, I was previously running my Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black on Thermalright TF8 paste and after a re-install of the Noctua I used the thermal paste that comes with the cooler.

I was getting better (lower) temps with the Thermalright TF8, when I next need to remove the Noctua cooler I'll use the TF8 again but the supplied paste is good stuff and well regarded but there was a difference for me :)

Associate
im in the same situation looking at getting a 5800x and wondering if i buy a Wraith Prism RGB for 20 quid as its rated 105w tdp then use thermal grizzly kryonaut. i wont be overclocking the CPU as im using for gaming

Associate
Be careful of side panel case clearance if you are raising the front cpu fan for ram clearance on the bigger coolers. Some of them are already close to the side panel with the fan at default position. Worth checking case and cooler spec as well as ram height.
Yes, I've had this problem in SFX cases.

Yeah, for example, I was previously running my Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black on Thermalright TF8 paste and after a re-install of the Noctua I used the thermal paste that comes with the cooler.

I was getting better (lower) temps with the Thermalright TF8, when I next need to remove the Noctua cooler I'll use the TF8 again but the supplied paste is good stuff and well regarded but there was a difference for me :)
Thanks for clarifying, good to know. I may as well buy some better paste do begin with, as it's only around £10 I think.

Associate
Well, here's what I'm planning to do:

At the moment I have a 2700X using the "stock" Waith LED cooler that came with it. However I'm now toying with the idea of fitting my Noctua NH-D14 (with newer fan) that I used for my 970BE for the 2700X (the TDP is lower on the 2700X than on the 970 which I have just found out). The cooling by the Noctua D14 was pretty good on the 970: I seem to recall I plugged the fans into the CPU header and sys_fan1 header of the board I was using and set the fans speed to 1200RPM: it was mostly silent (at the time, I was also using a CoolerMaster HAF, and I'm sure I had more noise from that than the CPU cooler).

Link to the D14: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noct...8UvZvm2_ylIEpL-LLJwCwH3Ms_gudIXoaAjnJEALw_wcB With this said, I suspect that the D15 may do even better. I would say both Noctua coolers are more mid to high end CPU coolers. The D14 also quite big so please double check your CPU cooler clearance before even thinking about hitting that "buy" button, and therefore I would also urge caution with the D15 as well.

i have a 2700x, check for thermal throttling / max boost, got a two fan aio and will never go back. e.g. 4350 MHz never thermally throttles at 100% cpu usage...

Soldato
Anyone worried about AIOs, I've run them for a combined 20 years and no issues. I think the leak stories are overstated given the very large number that are sold. Makes it a lot easier changing/buying RAM.

Soldato
Any decent cooler will be fine. Dark Rock Pro, Noctua DH 14 or 15. Scythe Fuma. Etc etc.
Yeah, I guess any decent £40-70 air cooler will be just fine. Is there a water cooler in that kind of price bracket that cools better, is quite and can be expected to run trouble free for 5 years?

Associate
Dark Rock Pro 4 here, no regrets giving up on watercooling.
Airflow is king. As long as you get a case optimized for airflow, and some decent fans, you're fine.
Using the Lian Li O11 XL, barely can hear the fans at 40-45% (BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 2.000rpm), EVGA RTX2080 (at 30% idle, so no heat around the NVME/X570).
During gaming, still quiet.
3 intake bottom, 3 intake side, 3 exhaust top 1 exhaust back. Quite a lot of fans if you ask me, but the constant airflow keeps all nice and cool.
And unless running synthetic tests, I can't tell you any difference from the whole system watercooled.
Tried the previously mentioned Noctua, all black, lovely. But the second fan won't fit, as it is installed offset.

Anyone worried about AIOs, I've run them for a combined 20 years and no issues. I think the leak stories are overstated given the very large number that are sold. Makes it a lot easier changing/buying RAM.
Building my first pc soon, still way too paranoid about leaks to go with AIO. If it leaks over my mobo and GPU, would the AIO manufacturer pay for those to be replaced, or just the AIO? Sod that, Noctua NH-D15 will do nicely.

Dark Rock Pro 4 here, no regrets giving up on watercooling.
Airflow is king. As long as you get a case optimized for airflow, and some decent fans, you're fine.
Using the Lian Li O11 XL, barely can hear the fans at 40-45% (BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 2.000rpm), EVGA RTX2080 (at 30% idle, so no heat around the NVME/X570).
During gaming, still quiet.
3 intake bottom, 3 intake side, 3 exhaust top 1 exhaust back. Quite a lot of fans if you ask me, but the constant airflow keeps all nice and cool.
And unless running synthetic tests, I can't tell you any difference from the whole system watercooled.
Tried the previously mentioned Noctua, all black, lovely. But the second fan won't fit, as it is installed offset.
Are all your fans PWM? New pc builder here, just trying to get up to speed on all the fan knowledge, haha.

Associate
Yeah, I guess any decent £40-70 air cooler will be just fine. Is there a water cooler in that kind of price bracket that cools better, is quite and can be expected to run trouble free for 5 years?
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm. There's a 120mm as well but it's not worth the saving imo.

Back
Top Bottom