Can I have it all - probably not. 430d / 640d?

Soldato
Defeats the object of an economical car no?
Just pouring soot out the back for nothing, you try driving faster than 100mph for any length of time in the U.K. so what’s the point?

All this electric vehicle nonsense could be avoided with a bit of common sense.

Sort of yes but it's a fairly boring view too. It's not just about doing 100mph, most cars will do that. It's about how it reacts when you put your foot down.

My GFs gla 220 does basically nothing, my 123d reacts like someone is trying to kill it. A 335d would be even more so and much bigger to boot.

In the meantime they can still pull 40mpg+ when you're driving like you suggest everyone does all the time. You can just go like your hair is on fire if you want to too.

Soldato
I reckon I will be getting high 40s /50 mpg

will a 430d do that at 80 mph?

edit Civics nothing like 4000rpm at 80mph, Top speeds around 128mph, it will hit that in 5th not 6th. Redline is only 5500rpm.

It's slowing down and accelerating back to speed that uses the most fuel cruising at a steady speed the 3L is very economical. I've done 81mph right down to the south of France in a 535d and it did 45 mpg, I've done a fairly long run at 90mph and still manged 40-41mpg and sitting at 70mph it would do 52-54mpg. I got very similar figures from a 335d even with it being x-drive. The 3 litre diesels at 2k are doing 90mph I find once you go over that (which is pointless in the UK) mpg plummets an extended run across Germany flat out at every opportunity on the 155 limiter and the run was somewhere around 28-30mpg.

Ignoring the performance difference the main benefit of the 3L diesels is the refinement over the 2L diesels, the x35d also has a superb low down power band from tick over it doesn't have the annoying delay low down in the power delivery of the single turbo 3L engine.

Caporegime
Defeats the object of an economical car no?
Just pouring soot out the back for nothing, you try driving faster than 100mph for any length of time in the U.K. so what’s the point?

All this electric vehicle nonsense could be avoided with a bit of common sense.

I got better fuel efficiency from my 640d than I do my 2ltr Toyota...

Soldato
They've been fitted with particulate filters for ages, you don't get smoke out of the back of a serviceable Euro 6 diesel.

Mine is quick and efficient.

And totally unnecessary
You don’t need a 3 litre turbo charged engine to propel a family saloon.
Enjoy your electric vehicle that will be coming to you soon.

It's time to face facts, the vehicles we are used to are over, large diesels are the biggest offenders.
You can't tell me that a diesel particulate filter is totally effective, especially on shorter stop start journeys.
The electric vehicle propaganda is a total scam.
We could clean the air with immediate effect buy reducing top speed and limiting engine sizes of vehicles sold (as well as limiting maximum power outputs).

All diesel was is a tax dodge, who in the right mind would want a diesel car?
BMW make some fine petrol engines, in fact some of the best, but even those are/where totally over sized for the type of vehicle the where designed to power.

Driving a car/vehicle isn't a God given right, it's a privelage. One that future generations probably wont be able to enjoy like we have.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
He appears to have a BMW Z4. What an absolute waste of resources such a car is, all of the harm of a large petrol engine but it can only seat 2 people! Nobody needs a 2 seater roadster.

Soldato
What a very strange philosophical rant :p even if you ultimately have a point around the future of cars why does this guy need to be the first to buy an annual bus pass when he wants a 640d?

Soldato
OP
I think someone's lost the plot.

I didn't imagine my car search would hit such a nerve. Sincere apologies to all for mentioning the D word :D

What a very strange philosophical rant :p even if you ultimately have a point around the future of cars why does this guy need to be the first to buy an annual bus pass when he wants a 640d?

Forget the bus pass I'm now going to buy a good pair of walking shoes, none leather of course I don't want the animal rights guys on me too.

Soldato
And totally unnecessary
You don’t need a 3 litre turbo charged engine to propel a family saloon.
Enjoy your electric vehicle that will be coming to you soon.

It's time to face facts, the vehicles we are used to are over, large diesels are the biggest offenders.
You can't tell me that a diesel particulate filter is totally effective, especially on shorter stop start journeys.
The electric vehicle propaganda is a total scam.
We could clean the air with immediate effect buy reducing top speed and limiting engine sizes of vehicles sold (as well as limiting maximum power outputs).

You do realise some trucks have 16 litre Diesel engines? Even if 3 litre diesels were an issue, how many of them are around compared to 2 litres? They must be outnumbered on the roads massively, by ratios of 50-1 or similar.

Smaller engines aren’t always better for emissions and fuel consumption.

Soldato
IMO 3l 6 cylinder diesels mated with a decent auto box are what makes diesels bearable to drive. You get reasonable power and smoothness and the ability to drive for large distances without having to fill up. I had 3 different cars which were 3l 6 cylinder diesels and thought they were fantastic engine wise.

I’m no fan of BMWs despite having had a 640d M Sport GC but I would have a 6 series over a 3 series any day of the week. The Gran coupe sorts out the cramped rear problem if that’s an issue, I tried a normal coupe and could barely fit in it with my head touching the roof but the Gran coupe sorts that.

Soldato
OP
I have put a deposit down on a 640d I went to see yesterday. Best car I've drove so far but there were a few superficial little bits I wanted the garage to correct before I put the big bucks down. I should hopefully have by the end of the week and will post some pictures. I'll obviously have to clean the back of the car first as it will be full of soot!

Soldato
Diesel engines are fantastic.
They don’t have spark plugs, compression ignition so there is basically no limit on the size we can make them.
There’s a good reason ships, and trains and HGVs have large Diesel engines - petrol engines are just not suitable.
This is where they should have stayed however some bright spark decided they where cleaner.
Mechanics for years & years have known from first hand experience that they aren’t.
‘Dirty diesel’ you cop a lung full of diesel soot you know about it, the particles are so tiny they make it through the lungs and into the blood stream, this is a proven trigger for heart attack & stroke.

We can make changes now to the way we use our motor vehicles, there is no need for a green initiative somewhere in the distant future. A date that someone has chosen at random (knowing they will have retired by then and it will be someone else’s problem).
Electric vehicles are a total non starter, there isn’t in the infrastructure in place nevermind the resources for everyone to own one - don’t get me wrong they are ok whilst only a few have them.
We could clean the air with instant effect using the technology we already have, without the need to spend billions.
I’m pretty sure a few years back many Americans would never have thought they would be driving compact cars like Toyota & Honda with much smaller 4 cylinder engines.
I do agree that the BMW diesel powered cars are impressive, but can you imagine what the large car manufacturers could produce if economy was paramount? I’m pretty sure 100mpg would be easily achieve able already.

Man of Honour
I do agree that the BMW diesel powered cars are impressive, but can you imagine what the large car manufacturers could produce if economy was paramount? I’m pretty sure 100mpg would be easily achieve able already.

Economy was paramount - that's how you ended up with a 400bhp BMW 5 Series that could do 50mpg. The drive to reduce co2 emissions led to fuel efficiency being the number one priority.

Petrol is better but one thing a petrol engine does do is use more fuel - this means more co2 emissions.

I have done long journeys in both a 540i and a 540d and the experience was largely the same. Except one car used considerably less fuel.

Soldato
Performance was paramount.
There’s really no need for the crazy top speeds modern cars a capable of.
If I could I would happily buy a new MK1 Golf, that’s all I really need for personal transport
(I use a van for work however)

An ultra eco diesel could be an option with ad blue & DPF etc.
But we only need around 1500cc displacement and that’s generous.

Back
Top Bottom