New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
Noticed one of Mourns race there as well, bald as well though in ds9 that was meant to be due to the latium he had in one of his stomachs.

Looks like "Michael" will be there a few years storyline wise til Discovery makes an appearance, going by her hair in this episode vs the trailer where its in dreadlocks.
I thought the exact same. Waiting a year or two. I'm sire the next episode is all about Disco and the crew and then ep3 is when they will meet up.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
and the problem will be that instead of taking most of a season for Discovery to arrive, I bet it will turn up in ep 2 or 3.

This is the unfortunate thing. Story-wise, it would be brilliant if the Discoball didn't arrive before the second half of the season. To emphasise how alone and far from everything she knows our 'hero' is. Trouble is, you then have at least half a season of just 'Commander Mary Sue Bonehead, Galactic Idiot™' with only David Ajala's Booker and a cat to play against...and so far, the cat appears to be the brains of the business.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Thought this was an amusing and quite sense-making comment on a review site:

Mal on Jammer's Reviews said:
Have you ever had your friends tells you - oh so proudly - how brilliant their kids are because they are amazing at using the iPad? I do everything I can to not laugh, cause you really should not make fun of your friends for being impressed with their kids' stupid ****.

Star Trek: Discovery strikes me as a future where all these people have super fancy 23rd century versions of iPad-like technology that allows people to do amazing things, even if they are only of average intelligence. That's why they are so ******* impressed with the power of math, people.

And I think that makes sense. Lorca was from the mirror universe. He wasn't looking for the best and the brightest. Quite the opposite. Anyone of decent intelligence might have seen through him. Discovered his secret. Just as Admiral Kat did the first time she visited the ship.

Nope, Lorca wanted cowards (ganglianic Saru), convicts (Michael), moral monsters Lieutenant Landry (I think someone once said that Rekha Sharma had the dubious distinction of playing someone awful in both universes. When you add in nBSG, you start to wonder about the actress herself...), naifs (the whole lot of the rest of the clueless bridge officers), and generally Lorca wanted total non-starfleet types (Stamets, Mr. "I used to do real research before Lorca and the war").

Is it any wonder that this motley crew is so ridiculously ill suited to the job. Lorca chose them. Their mediocrity is by design!

Data would take one look at these morons and request a transfer. Julian would be out of there faster than you can say preganglionic fibers. Harry Kim's mom would be so disappointed if this was the best posting he could get.

Friends don't let friends serve on Discovery.

That's what made the first episode pretty decent. The crew was nowhere to be seen. More like this, please.

The crew of the Discoball are crap because Mirror Lorca needed them to be crap in order to fly under the radar. There's no way that the showrunners meant it like this of course, but my God does it fit...

:)

Soldato
Well it IS Star Trek whether you see it as such or not. We are so far in the future that there is no existence of how things should be. So really they can do what ever they want.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Well it IS Star Trek whether you see it as such or not. We are so far in the future that there is no existence of how things should be. So really they can do what ever they want.

A more than fair point, now that they're so far into the (mostly) unseen future in-universe. I will therefore freely admit that it would be more proper to say that in two seasons so far it has barely ever felt like Star Trek, has on many occasions seemed to deliberately set out to be a kind of anti-Trek, and has been all the worse for it.

Much obliged to you for your correction :)

Soldato
I think it was the shows head at the time the show was greenlit that is to blame. He tried too hard to make it more like the JJ Trek whilst aiming to keep the show firmly in the Prime universe. That was a mistake in itself. If you are going prime then it has to look and feel like the Trek we all grew up with.

If that had set it in the JJverse and they acknowledged that then im sure we'd all be far happier.

Yes I am enjoying the show but I am aware it doesn't feel or look like ToS, TNG, DS9, VOY or Ent.

Thats my main plus about Lower Decks. It stuck itself firmly in the TNG era and has many references and ships etc that look and sound like everything we know. No bridge windows, proper shuttles and ships that look similar to everything TNG created. It even managed to show and reference TOS and the way it looked and sounded. That shows the production team care about what they made.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Thats my main plus about Lower Decks. It stuck itself firmly in the TNG era and has many references and ships etc that look and sound like everything we know. No bridge windows, proper shuttles and ships that look similar to everything TNG created. It even managed to show and reference TOS and the way it looked and sounded. That shows the production team care about what they made.

I've got to say, as someone who was very against Lower Decks following the trailers and the extended episode 1 teaser they have at least had a reverence for canon that has been completely absent from STD.

I'm still not sold on the humour (too much like Rick and Morty IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!! for my tastes). And several of the characters leave me variously cold or with a hatred that burns like the heat of a thousand stars. But credit where it's due, the makers of it very clearly care about Trek. They've certainly paid rather more attention to detail than the team who made that animated Short Trek about the tardigrade leaving eggs in the Enterprise NCC-1701 engine room...that one was a complete ****-show with both continuity and sanity :rolleyes:

Soldato
Lower Decks first few episodes were high on the silly humor. However I felt like it was toned down by the finale.
The appearance of River Troy and the Titan was very well used and really hammered home how much Discovery and Picardy faced on the Canon. I mean they even had correct uniforms and a visit to DS9, although in flashback.

Back
Top Bottom