*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
Weighed myself today and was 98kg, presume yesterdays was mainly water weight from being on the plane etc. Either way i'm looking forward to getting back to being healthier and exercising more. I'm aiming to make a real push towards 90kg i think.

Soldato
OP
I have two days of management meetings and kind of team builds, so yesterday we filled up on snacks, chocolates, pizza and more. I'm maintained my weight for some good time now, so I went a little crazy and ate everything. I was actually almost in pain when I went to bed! I definitely won't weigh myself for at least 3 days! Today is a being a 'good food' day. Tomorrow is my first 10k run!

Caporegime
I mentioned that September had been a write off for me. The first few days and the last two weeks, I was scoffing way above 3000kcals. On the last day, I managed to break all records - 550g carbs from biscuits, crisps, sweets, cakes, donuts, caramel and 5000kcals. Remarkably, I pretty much escaped unscathed - the net gain for the whole month was only 0.3kg. I call that a miracle.

This time last year, I began <50g carb keto and managed to keep it up til Christmas Day when I had my family dinner and pud. Wonder if I can repeat the same feat this year.

Caporegime
Another milestone crossed today. It's about 12 months since I started this lark. And this morning, I crossed from 80kg to 79 (BMI 26.3). So that's a total of 70lbs or 5 stone lost. I'm going to keep going until 69kg and see what I look like then. I still have a paunch and moobs. They are stubborn buggers and will probably turn into loose skin, I'm thinking.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Amazing weight loss :) Well done!

Interesting article on what I suspected - https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/weight-loss/problem-intermittent-fasting

To be honest, I've not read it, I listen to their podcast though, where it was explained.

Simply restricting food intake to a shorter window did not seem to change the rate at which humans burn calories or store fat. It did sometimes lead to modest weight loss but this was due to the fact that people following this schedule simply ended up eating fewer calories. No metabolic magic there.

As always, it's whatever works for you though, right?

Caporegime
As always, it's whatever works for you though, right?

Exactly. As someone on here said, the method doesn’t matter, it’s simply calories in versus calories out with a routine that you can follow pretty much for the rest of your life. For me, that’s 130g or so of carbs and eating between 10am and 6pm.

Soldato
I’m still floundering. Have had a moderately healthy weekend though so far so hoping tomorrow won’t involve the usual weekend jump from the scales.

My weight graph is very jumpy for the last 3 weeks compared to a pretty level line for the previous 6 months.

Hoping a run later on will help too!

Caporegime
I’m still floundering. Have had a moderately healthy weekend though so far so hoping tomorrow won’t involve the usual weekend jump from the scales.

I'm trying my best to keep on track until Christmas because I know I will put a shedload back on over that week, what with mince pies and roast dinners and Lindt Lindor... :D Just taking one day at a time and trying not to eat when I get bored.

Soldato
I'm trying my best to keep on track until Christmas because I know I will put a shedload back on over that week, what with mince pies and roast dinners and Lindt Lindor... :D Just taking one day at a time and trying not to eat when I get bored.

well my mother in law has just dropped off a salted caramel and toffee apple sponge pudding which feeds 4. I imagine that I’ll end up eating around 70% of it later today :D

Soldato
Naughty week for me too, schedule changed pretty big time few weeks ago which threw the diet out the window a bit.

As far as intermittent fasting goes I never thought or did it for any metabolism magic or such. Just a mental way way of stopping overeating which works for me. One of my big issues always been eating late and consuming most calories towards evening. Now no matter how hungry I get, once it's past 10pm it's tough poop as far as my mind is concerned, no food until 2pm the next day.

Soldato
OP
Just a mental way way of stopping overeating which works for me. One of my big issues always been eating late and consuming most calories towards evening. Now no matter how hungry I get, once it's past 10pm it's tough poop as far as my mind is concerned, no food until 2pm the next day.

I do wish I could do this. I don't think I sleep well on an empty stomach, so I almost try and limit myself more during the day, so I can eat more around 9pm, so I can have a good nights sleep. I'm sure it's a psychological thing that I could likely break out of if I really tried...

Soldato
I do wish I could do this. I don't think I sleep well on an empty stomach, so I almost try and limit myself more during the day, so I can eat more around 9pm, so I can have a good nights sleep. I'm sure it's a psychological thing that I could likely break out of if I really tried...

Failed first few weeks to be fair, what I found best is moving all my low calorie but high fibre veggies and fruits to 9pm meal.

Spinach, broccoli, celery, carrots, tomato, cucumber, beets, radishes, etc etc. Normally have close to half a kilo of that in some kind of variety and then finish it with a mixed berry smoothie with some Skyr at 10pm. No big insulin spike from it but definitely fills me up enough to get me to sleep without the kind of cravings that would keep me up.

Need to undo some damage from last week but still looking on track to hit 100kg or below by 1st of November here.

Soldato
Have you tried 5-2 diet? Not going to lie, first couple of weeks suck on the 2 days but structure your eating so half of your calories are the evening meal and provided it's a decent veg-heavy meal you should be ok going to bed. It makes the mornings harder but gives you something to look forward to and keep you going.

Caporegime
Have you tried 5-2 diet? Not going to lie, first couple of weeks suck on the 2 days but structure your eating so half of your calories are the evening meal and provided it's a decent veg-heavy meal you should be ok going to bed. It makes the mornings harder but gives you something to look forward to and keep you going.

I'm doing this at the moment and after only eating 880 kcals yesterday, I put weight on this morning! I don't want to reduce calories by more than half only to gain weight. Have to see what happens on the next low cal day, Wednesday.

Soldato
At my top I was about 18.5st (or 117kg) and was in my mid to late 30s. I've never been the most healthy of eaters so had always been a bigger boy. I decided I had to do something but didn't want to fad and try and get it off quick (too many horror stories about bouncing back), so decided to try and be more sensible with myself. I started walking more, working in London it was too easy to jump on the tube to a client, when they are only a mile or so away and I stopped driving into work as my car pooler retired so that meant more steps automatically and started having smaller portions of more or less the same foods. I knew I would never be able to remove the treat food completely, but now I get things like biscuit multipacks instead of proper packs, and can treat with a bag of say 5 mini maryland cookies, rather than a full packet that has to be eaten otherwise it will go off.

I was doing pretty well and in March of this year I had dropped to just about 14st (about 89kg). Then lockdown hit and I was working from home and so not walking to the station or to the office or to clients and so the weight started to creep back on and I was annoyed with myself. I started doing little 2 mile walks at lunchtime to get out and get some movement. This slowly turned into 4,5,6 or more mile walks in the evenings and sometimes even more on weekends (my longest individual walk was just about 10 miles one lovely Sunday morning in Margate). I have now also added in an exercise bike to my "regime", so have been doing 45 mins on that every lunchtime for the past 6 weeks or so.

Last night I hit the magical point of 12st 13.8lb on my scales (about 82kg) which I believe is the lightest I have been in my adult life.

That is from a 44" trouser to 36" trousers no being a little loose.

Gotta admit its going to be harder to motivate to do walks in dark evenings, but as long as I get out for an hour it will still be better than nothing.

7JglMTEm.png.jpg

Soldato
I'm doing this at the moment and after only eating 880 kcals yesterday, I put weight on this morning! I don't want to reduce calories by more than half only to gain weight. Have to see what happens on the next low cal day, Wednesday.

how long have you been doing it? It takes a little while to start to see the trend. I go for 600 calories on my 2 days. 100, 150, 350 split over the day. I was doing well until I stopped for lockdown, a lot of the good work has been undone but going back onto it again. I also needed to do a weekly workout session though to really see any benefit. As they say, dieting is only part of the solution.

Caporegime
At my top I was about 18.5st (or 117kg) and was in my mid to late 30s.
Last night I hit the magical point of 12st 13.8lb on my scales (about 82kg) which I believe is the lightest I have been in my adult life.

Congratulations on your success - it's uncanny as the amount lost is pretty much the same as me and we even look similar now - no hair, glasses and a beard. :D

how long have you been doing it? It takes a little while to start to see the trend.

I only started the beginning of the month and this is the first time I got a gain but I'm wondering whether I'm not eating enough on my non-fast days. To be honest, I don't know why I'm even bothering doing it - I lost weight this year without doing these low calorie days. I just kind of want to speed up the loss a bit before Christmas.

Don
Has anyone been in a position where they just don’t shift weight no matter what you do?
I’m 6’3, weigh currently around 17.7 stone. I haven’t eaten chocolate for over two months (I ate far to much of it)
I strictly walk 7k steps mon-fri and 10k a day on the weekend. Without fail.
I weigh myself every Friday morning and nothing shifts.
I need around 3000 cals to maintain my weight but on average eat around 2100 daily, probably a bit more on the weekend but equally burning 400 odd cals in exercise.
I’ve dabbled in having no breakfast to intermittently fast but it’s achieved nothing. I don’t change things regularly so a bit confused truth be told.
What gives?!

Back
Top Bottom