• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth upgrading from a 9900k yet?

Soldato
OC your 9900k and max out your mem. There's a lot of potential there: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51796968 look at the cpu score.
I concur. With the 9900K one is leaving a lot of potential performance on the table if you don't overclock it or leave memory at stock. @Vidar, you have one of the best Z390 overclocking motherboards with the Aorus Master. If you post a thread in the overclocking forum and PM me a link to it I can post up screen shots of the relevant bios pages from mine to get you started and give you a good chance of getting a stable O/C.

Associate
It sounds like, in your use case, the gains would be pretty marginal.

I think waiting for a DDR5 platform would give you a more meaningful change, but the threshold for wanting an upgrade is always a personal thing.

Associate
Depends what your use case is, and if it's gaming, what resolution.

CPU seems to become less and less important as resolution increases, see the recent video from Hardware Unboxed.

Associate
I only upgraded a 9900K recently from a 9600K as I feel it will last the whole console generation ports and getting a superior new Ryzen 8 core coming out would have cost me more overall as I already had a good MB and 32GB ram.

Still a great CPU IMO, I'll now focus on GPU and storage upgrades for the next few years.

Also having top chip in board eliminates upgradeitis for me, but understandable if you've already had it a few years.

Soldato
OP
OC your 9900k and max out your mem. There's a lot of potential there: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51796968 look at the cpu score.

Just found a decent YouTube video that got me to a quick 5Ghz that actually seems stable. Not bad for a first attempt and that's just with xmp enabled. Max temp was pushing 85c under load which is a lot warmer than I normally like but then I'm currently only using a single rad cpu loop. Haven't touched the memory yet, need to find my timings without pulling a stick.

Time-Spy5-Ghz-OC.jpg

I concur. With the 9900K one is leaving a lot of potential performance on the table if you don't overclock it or leave memory at stock. @Vidar, you have one of the best Z390 overclocking motherboards with the Aorus Master. If you post a thread in the overclocking forum and PM me a link to it I can post up screen shots of the relevant bios pages from mine to get you started and give you a good chance of getting a stable O/C.

Think I'll take you up on that pal, thank you.

Soldato
I'm just wondering what the general consensus is currently...

I don't do anything other than gaming these days and was lucky enough to grab a 3080 on launch day so I'm wondering if it's worth getting a 5900X and support for Pcie gen 4 to get the most out of it?
keep what you have

Back
Top Bottom