Flat Ethernet Port (RJ-45)

Associate
Hi, can someone please link me to a flat Ethernet Port (RJ-45) plug for my sons laptop.
I'm coming from the router but his laptop has a different socket.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
All RJ45 ports are the same, RJ11 is smaller (think modem/base station end of a conventional phone cable), are you sure his laptop (make/model?) has an RJ45 port? You can get USB or Lightening to RJ45 adapters which look flatter, but obviously you would recognise they aren't anything like an RJ45 port.

Soldato
Definitely not. I’ve been into IT for over 40 years and I’ve never seen an RJ45 like that one. Very neat.

Majority of new laptops these days have folding ports. I guess as they've made laptops thinner, the physical size of the port was restricting the thinness, and they've had to modify the design.

Caporegime
A lot of USB adaptors are awful though, at least a proper port built into the machine has a decent chance of providing a decent link.

Caporegime
It's also unfortunately one of those product categories where it's sometimes just not possible to buy a quality option. Pages of Amazon results for Anker and Ugreen USB-C gigabit adaptors and they all overheat and suffer performance degradation when you push them hard, and have high failure rates.

Soldato
Should bring a usb-c to rj45 adaptor and just bank usb-c on everything

EDIT: You can actually buy a usb-c to RJ45 another thing I didn't know as I haven't moved over to USB-C yet. ha!

I believe pretty much everything can go through usb-c these days. - I'm sure I've seen a GPU that can be connected with usb-c. My work laptop has a thunderbolt dock which connects all peripherals (monitors/mouse/keyboard/headset/ethernet) and connects them to the laptop through a single USB-c port.

Permabanned
I believe pretty much everything can go through usb-c these days. - I'm sure I've seen a GPU that can be connected with usb-c. My work laptop has a thunderbolt dock which connects all peripherals (monitors/mouse/keyboard/headset/ethernet) and connects them to the laptop through a single USB-c port.

I think all gadgets should use the same ports. It would be easier to get a hold of cables required then. Companies should stop making proprietary ones.

Soldato
It's also unfortunately one of those product categories where it's sometimes just not possible to buy a quality option. Pages of Amazon results for Anker and Ugreen USB-C gigabit adaptors and they all overheat and suffer performance degradation when you push them hard, and have high failure rates.

Been using USB-C to ethernet adapters for over a year now, never had an issue with performance.

Back
Top Bottom