Bought car with FSH, dealer not forwarding it on

Soldato
Hello all, looking for a bit of advice please.

On 26 September we bought a used Kia advertised with full service history from a small independent dealer.

At the time we were told they didn't have the booklet to hand as it was still on route to them for some reason with the second key. They also told us the service history could be obtained from a Kia dealer. Naively we believed them on both points and took the car away that day.

On the way home the oil sensor light has been coming on and off an amber warning and has continued to do so. 99% sure this is the pressure sensor as all levels etc are fine.

So we got home and firstly rang the local Kia dealer to ask about a. Getting the vehicles history and b. Getting the sensor replaced on warranty.

They informed us that they cannot provide any service history for their vehicles and they do not keep a central database. Another kia dealers phone system also confirmed this.
Also the earliest they can look at the car is I think Nov 11th which seems mad.

So we got on the phone to where it came from and they have spent the last 3 weeks giving every excuse under the sun as to why we haven't got the history from them yet. It boils down to they are chasing it from where they bought the car themselves but can't give a timeframe.

To their benefit they are offering to come and pick the car up (90 mins each way for us), fix the oil sensor issue and give it a service, but they can't give a definitive answer on the previous history.

What would you do? Are our rights on a 30 day timeline from the day we bought the car?

Is not providing the advertised history grounds to return and reject the car and if so what deadline should I give them?

Obviously I feel a bit of a plonker for not leaving the car with them until they had all documentation but hoping there's something we can do at least.

Cheers all

Soldato
I'd be handing it back.
To show what service should be like, we literally just got a almost new Mazda 3, service history is held digitally but they printed it out for us.
On driving the car home discovered the auto fold drivers mirror didn't fold phoned them up at 6:45pm and told them they said bring it back the next day and they'd fix it. They fitted a new motor in the mirror took 40mins.

You shouldn't have to jump through hoops a good dealer should just take care of it all.

Caporegime
Echo the “reject it” comments.

Put your rejection statement in writing as well as inform the dealer of the statement verbally. You have given them ample opportunity to resolve, which they have not (and likely can not) done.

The big bit though, DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE after you have decided to reject it.

Soldato
Echo the “reject it” comments.

Put your rejection statement in writing as well as inform the dealer of the statement verbally. You have given them ample opportunity to resolve, which they have not (and likely can not) done.

The big bit though, DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE after you have decided to reject it.
He might struggle to get it back to the dealers though.

Soldato
I bought my Hyundai with no service book, only service receipts from 2 years previous. I was able to recover all previous service records by contacting the Hyundai dealership, they sent scans of the invoices over with the owner details and costs blanked out. I don’t see why Kia can’t do this, especially as they’re the sister company to Hyundai?

You could track down service records by checking online where the cars MOTs were done. Chances are it was serviced at the same time or by the same garage :). You’ll need the V5 number to get the MOT garage details to show up via the online GOV checker.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yip - hindsight is a wonderful thing but log book and no 2nd key would have been a huge red flag for me.

As above - verbally tell them you are rejecting the car and also then follow up immediately with written confirmation. As others have said - Don't then drive the car after this.

Soldato
OP
Have formally rejected the vehicle in writing which they have responded to and said they understand no problem which hopefully means it's not going to be too awkward to arrange collection.

Back
Top Bottom