Official Home Gym Building Thread

Man of Honour
My gym/garage has radiators as last owner of the hosue was a music producer and had it set up as a home studio (don't imagine it was cool, it was done in the 80s and was rotting off the walls)

Associate
First deadlift workout today for entirely too long and the first using my new Mirafit trap bar.
My entire experience of trapbars has been one 3 rep set about a year ago so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I was able to lift.
(I am of course aware that the high handles have aided with the higher than expected weight)
Didn't need the new heater but my hands still suffered - the knurling on the bar while small is pretty aggressive and my layoff from deadlifts has my hands completely devoid of calluses.
I'll definitely keep the trap bar on the schedule - planning to use it exclusively for a month then bring back in regular deadlifts too.

The width of my garage is a pita for deadlifting with a 7ft bar though - my garage is 7ft 11 wide and loading the bar is a bitch. Plus it's 30mm thick and I prefer a thinner bar for deadlifting.
My 6ft oly bar has sleeves too short for my regular deadlifting, especially if I continue to use the ridiculously thick York bumpers on the inside.
I'm not sure if I have any other options though -what I ideally need is a 6.5 ft bar 28mm diameter, and they don't seem to be produced.
Some "women's" bars seem to be the right length but only 25mm diameter, and I'm not sure I'd like that.
First world problems and all that.

Associate
... Can't you stand so that you're holding the bar pointing down the length of the garage instead of the width?
Possibly in theory but the garage is only 12ft total length and I have my motorcycle in there. For deadlifting normally cross-ways I can do it without having to move the bike - just pull right at the edge of the power cage. I leave the bar permanently set up with my starting weight and it doesn't get in the way. (Until today, at least. I had to move the bike out to set up the trap bar and the 7ft bar is currently propped up in a corner)

Even moving the bike out there's still clutter making it pretty tight so it becomes a tetris game of moving stuff so it's not in the way to deadlift then moving it back when the bike has to go back in.

Soldato
This was my thought too...

I remember someone posting similar here, but I can’t remember their reason for not doing this. I have to do similar in my home gym.

Probably me. Garage is just wide enough for OHP so tried going sideways but have an extra shelf which limits room in that direction.

By turning the rack that 90 degrees it makes it insanely hard to get the bench in and out instead. Can't win either way. Started doing seated OHP instead.

Soldato
Cabin built and loaded up, need to finish weather boarding and skirting. Can anyone see issues with having everything all in a line?

BB2kzkQ.jpg

Photos a 0.5 magnification so looks odd

Associate
Morning all - decided to use a spare room for some weights, as opposed to the garage. It's a ground floor room with a concrete base, but also has the usual underlay/carpet over the top.

Any special considerations for laying rubber mats over the top of the carpet? Any particular flooring recommendations as well?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Morning all - decided to use a spare room for some weights, as opposed to the garage. It's a ground floor room with a concrete base, but also has the usual underlay/carpet over the top.

Any special considerations for laying rubber mats over the top of the carpet? Any particular flooring recommendations as well?

I use an equipment mat since the carpet already provides some cushioning. If you wanted to beef it up you could put some thick mats either side for deadlifts.

DSCF8991.jpg

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Any reccomendations for a leg press? Bulldog gear do a nice one at £2000, just wondering if there are any other options that offer better value for money before buying?

If you want an alternative to squatting that removes the axial loading, there are a number of belt squat DIY options that cost peanuts; all you need is a decent dip belt and a few bits to make a lever arm that attaches to your rack, e.g.

Obviously if you have the space and money then look at leg presses but IMO more often than not they lack the adjustability to create the right angles for a decent ROM and shorter ROM usually means you can eat up plates making it heavy enough.

Soldato
Been looking for a while to get some gym equipment for the garage but everywhere is out of stock!

I got a treadmill last year and now want to get some weights.

I saw this
https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.u...er-olympic-weight-kit-and-bodymax-cf430-bench

But it hasn't been in stock for months and no idea when it will be

I have about 1k to spend so this looked great.

Can anyone reccomend anywhere else to buy from?

I did have a cheaper bar and bench a couple of years ago when I lived in a flat but my son was born and had to get rid to get a baby room. Now we have moved and settled i now have a garage for some home gym equipment!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Been looking for a while to get some gym equipment for the garage but everywhere is out of stock!

I got a treadmill last year and now want to get some weights.

I saw this
https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.u...er-olympic-weight-kit-and-bodymax-cf430-bench

But it hasn't been in stock for months and no idea when it will be

I have about 1k to spend so this looked great.

Can anyone reccomend anywhere else to buy from?

I did have a cheaper bar and bench a couple of years ago when I lived in a flat but my son was born and had to get rid to get a baby room. Now we have moved and settled i now have a garage for some home gym equipment!

You'll likely have to shop about, and stick your email in to notified when things come in stock.

For plates, these bumpers are decent:
https://www.bulldoggear.eu/collections/bumpers/products/training-plates?variant=33369750601816
OR
https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-black-olympic-rubber-bumper-plates-choice-of-size.html

Rubber coated are ideal for gyms to prevent issues with rust in colder weather.

For a bar, I'd go with this one it's really good for the money, just need to wait for it to come in stock - https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-m3-7ft-20kg-olympic-barbell-silver-black.html

Man of Honour
@LiE a wealth of gym info as ever :)

I’d definitely recommend a dehumidifier if you want to maintain your home gym equipment. No rust so far. I haven’t even retreated the bare metal areas in months. Humidity always below 40% unless I’m actively working out, even then I’ve noticed that if I override the humidity control and switch the unit on it keeps the humidity below 50-60% and it comes down quickly there after. Result. This is in my gazebo gym too, so a garage or shed should have even better results.

Soldato
I actually bought a cheap sensor on amazon to stick in my garage now that I have a bit of equipment in there... flooring is still slowly going down hopefully have it done soon...

But the initial results from the sensor - last night it reckoned 14 degrees and 70% RH which seems a little high (though not actually too bad given the temperature). Will keep monitoring it, but I do have a portable dehumidifier I can put out there if needs be

Man of Honour
Bought an EZ curl and tricep bar recently (mirafit). Tricep one particularly I wish i had bought ages ago. So much better than dumbells.

Back
Top Bottom