Ebay - emailed a software code to avoid postage

Associate
I've sold a copy of McAfee Total Protection on ebay and the buyer is asking if I could email the code to him rather than post the card, to avoid having to pay the postage I guess. I think (maybe someone here knows?) selling digital codes is limited to certain types of seller that have exceptions to sell such items and I should strictly speaking just post it?

I said in the listing I could email the code, but didn't specify 'instead of...' posting it. I suppose I'm happy to email it, but it's a risk they could claim they've been hacked or something, didn't receive the code and get their money back?

Soldato
I've sold a copy of McAfee Total Protection on ebay and the buyer is asking if I could email the code to him rather than post the card, to avoid having to pay the postage I guess. I think (maybe someone here knows?) selling digital codes is limited to certain types of seller that have exceptions to sell such items and I should strictly speaking just post it?

I said in the listing I could email the code, but didn't specify 'instead of...' posting it. I suppose I'm happy to email it, but it's a risk they could claim they've been hacked or something, didn't receive the code and get their money back?

if you have postage listed in the advertisement the buyer can simply open a item not received case against you and you will have to provide ebay a tracking number. As you won't be able to he will wi and get a full refund.

Soldato
You probably sold it for such little value, it's worth doing.

If it was of any real value then I wouldn't.

As you posted, you would be breaking ebay rules. As you can't sell digital only items.

Also there is nothing preventing you from posting as well, the buyer shouldn't care. That will cover your back but you are likely just wasting money.

Soldato
Especially McAfee virus "protection" :p

We had a virus outbreak at work while using McAfee. McAfee completely ignored it and itself got infected :\

Back
Top Bottom