I don't have a VPN. Do I need one?

Associate
If you have to ask then you definitely don't need one for security purposes. The only other purpose would be to access region locked services, which is up to you.

Associate
Some people also think because they are using a VPN everything is anonymous. Your data is still stored somewhere, just instead of with your ISP it is to another provider.

Only way you would need it would be for example if you are on a shared Wifi connection like in a hotel.

Soldato
Why use a VPN? Generally privacy - No ISP DNS blocking, bypass region blocking, prevent the ever increasing access to browsing data to pretty much man+dog thanks to the IPA, access to deals/services not normally available or priced differently in another region (Brazil Xbox Live codes are under half price, Steam games are similar), obviously your linux ISO P2P sharing etc. or if you have others sharing the connection, prevent 'speculative invoicing' from 3rd party rights holders.

I know of multiple examples where my local police force has treated any accusation - even ones with no link to online/mobile usage as an excuse to pull browsing history from any linked accounts, a mate had a great conversation about what I presume is some sort of former pet hamster appreciation site and I have been asked to explain why I have 6 mobile accounts (I pay for my own/wife/kids/parents phones) and explain the browsing on them. Privacy used to be assumed 'unless you have done something wrong', now unless you choose to protect your privacy, it simply doesn't exist.

Some people also think because they are using a VPN everything is anonymous. Your data is still stored somewhere, just instead of with your ISP it is to another provider.

Only way you would need it would be for example if you are on a shared Wifi connection like in a hotel.

While the theory is valid, literally no VPN provider worth using does this or has been shown to.

Permabanned
Using a VPN means that your messages are encrypted so your internet provider has no idea what you are doing. That has many benefits. However, you need to choose a VPN that is not hosted in a country that fails to respect your privacy ( like the UK! ) or you are no further forward.

Soldato
The UK based servers keep only the bare minimum afaik, so logs which are only really useful for debugging and can't be used to cross-reference the user to the history. The law doesn't say they have to be useful logs :D

But a VPN is a good idea these days. You stop your own ISP spying on you and they can't shape/throttle your traffic, or block sites. Also useful for buying cheap and tax free games from the Ukraine ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The UK based servers keep only the bare minimum afaik, so logs which are only really useful for debugging and can't be used to cross-reference the user to the history. The law doesn't say they have to be useful logs :D

But a VPN is a good idea these days. You stop your own ISP spying on you and they can't shape/throttle your traffic, or block sites. Also useful for buying cheap and tax free games from the Ukraine ;)

It depends on the VPN provider as to what they log, your ISP can still shape/throttle traffic, but you may avoid direct throttling of specific traffic protocols/ports that would otherwise be throttled (not that any major UK fixed line ISP actually throttles anymore).

Permabanned
you dont need one. its all just a scam.
i have never have one and had zero problems, i do all the normal internet type stuff ;)

only very bad people need them. and this is why i think they need banning

Permabanned
you dont need one. its all just a scam.
i have never have one and had zero problems, i do all the normal internet type stuff ;)

only very bad people need them. and this is why i think they need banning

You are wrong. A VPN can also be used to remote into a work place. when it comes to networking you can have services inside of a network. A member of staff (lets say a technician) can remote into the work place to do their duties without compromising security.

Permabanned
You are wrong. A VPN can also be used to remote into a work place. when it comes to networking you can have services inside of a network. A member of staff (lets say a technician) can remote into the work place to do their duties without compromising security.

yes but why dose "JO Public" need one.

for downloading filmes ? NO
for shopping ? NO

you see where this is going... there is lots of things that are available to people that need them for work but not normal person on the street, this should be the same.

it would be a lot easier to find scammers, pedo's and so on.

Soldato

for shopping ? NO

you see where this is going... there is lots of things that are available to people that need them for work but not normal person on the street, this should be the same.

On the flip side, why do private companies need to know where I am (IP geolocation), or who my ISP is?

Connect to public WiFi? What's to stop Starbucks logging everything you do, every site you visit?

Why are you giving up your privacy so readily?

Permabanned

for shopping ? NO

While I understand that what do you suggest? You can't have it both ways... or can you? ;)

Develop an app that's transparent yet secure then get rid of all the nasty ones. Maybe they could just rename VPN's that is used for work to something else and add some new features.

Then make it illegal to use a non work VPN. ;) What's your suggestions?

Permabanned

for shopping ? NO

In my opinion people have a right to some privacy. I don't believe it is healthy when the government has access to everything we do and think. That's the sort of thing that happens in North Korea, not Northampton. The government can find criminals without monitoring the entire population 24/7.

Permabanned
In my opinion people have a right to some privacy. I don't believe it is healthy when the government has access to everything we do and think. That's the sort of thing that happens in North Korea, not Northampton. The government can find criminals without monitoring the entire population 24/7.

I agree, but why would you need a vpn?

this should be down to the ISP not handing over info to the government. i do all the normal naughty stuff you can do online and nothing every happened.
I feet you only need a VPN to hide BAD ****.

or do we condone the real bad stuff by having a right to hide things
OR lol should the vpn point out very bad this to the police

banning vpn's would stop a lot of bad things

Soldato
You can't really stop people using them anyway, even China cant. You can disguise them as other traffic and use ports which can't be blocked without breaking the whole internet.

A VPN on the modern intenet is pretty much mandatory if you want privacy and good security. Some of the VPN services also block a lot of other crap for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom