• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Not clear from their post but interesting whether that is 16Kx16K tiles with streaming or 16Kx16K images being streamed in to the virtual tiles. That is so beyond what is useful even on a super high res game though - you don't really gain anything beyond 8K tiles and 4K assets for gaming purposes - even when people have higher than UHD resolution displays (if done properly).

Sounds like 16K textures because streaming shouldn't cause crashes.

Each 16K texture (uncompressed) requires ~1GB VRAM so it's not surprising he maxed it out quickly.

http://vterrain.org/LargeTextures/

I get the feeling it's for a professional app because for games you'd create landscapes with Unreal's terrain tools and paint grass on to it and it's very efficient in regards to VRAM rather than using your own images.

Permabanned
In what way?

Hi, It's just what we can see in new gen reviews like for the 3080, If you go through as an example Guru3d's Zotac RTX 3080 trinity review and use it to compare the 1080ti to other similar cards you can see a clear position shift when looking at new games compared to old games. I'll use Witcher 3 as an old game & here the 1080ti sits just under the 2080 & well ahead of cards like the Radeon VII & 5700XT etc, but when you look at newer releases like F1 2020, Red Dead Redemption 2, Death Stranding, Metro Exodus & SOTTR we see the 1080ti only offering 5700xt performance, sometimes less.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_rtx_3080_trinity_review,11.html

Now the 1080ti's performance has started dropping in new game releases it will become the norm as time moves on.
We can also use the above review to see how the 980ti fares today, In BRV it can't even match an RX470 and it's not because it only has 6gb's of memory compared to the 470's 8gb's, The 6gb 1060 sits above them all, as does the 4gb 5500xt, It's also inconspicuous in that it isn't even included in a lot of the tests, notably Red Dead Redemption 2 where I'd expect it to do particulary bad due to it using the Vulkan API..

Associate
Sounds like 16K textures because streaming shouldn't cause crashes.

Each 16K texture (uncompressed) requires ~1GB VRAM so it's not surprising he maxed it out quickly.

http://vterrain.org/LargeTextures/

I get the feeling it's for a professional app because for games you'd create landscapes with Unreal's terrain tools and paint grass on to it and it's very efficient in regards to VRAM rather than using your own images.

Yup it is for high definition rendering
I was just fooling around.. :D
And you shouldnt be really buying Quadros unless you need certified drivers, but then it all boils down to your specific requirements and budget (which imo will be wasted if you're using Quadros for non engineering apps like Linus does)

Man of Honour
We can also use the above review to see how the 980ti fares today, In BRV it can't even match an RX470 and it's not because it only has 6gb's of memory compared to the 470's 8gb's, The 6gb 1060 sits above them all, as does the 4gb 5500xt, It's also inconspicuous in that it isn't even included in a lot of the tests, notably Red Dead Redemption 2 where I'd expect it to do particulary bad due to it using the Vulkan API..

Seems a bit weird but I haven't tried BF V - a friend of mine has a 980ti I actually built the system for him - and in most cases it isn't far behind my 1070 and largely matches it with overclocking.

Soldato
If RE3 is anything like RE2 it's incredibly well optimized (from seeing footage of how the RE2 AI works you can see the insane amount of Occlusion Culling they used), but then again it could simply be cached, be interesting to see what happens if you tried the same test on a 3080.

RE2/3 runs great, especially 2. My 2080ti was getting 90-100fps at 4k in RE2, so a RTX3090 should be able to do 8k 60fps in that game

Associate
Does a game that uses only 6GB of Vram always give more FPS then a game that uses 8GB of Vram

More vram doesn't make a game run faster, and less vram doesn't make it run slower (assuming same GPU, same bandwidth etc). But, not having enough vram can tank the performance as stuttering may occur when assets need to be switched out.

Soldato
Yep. There is not a single game that needs more than 10gb from what I have seen.

Of course there are games that needs more than 10GB from what I have seen.

Red Dead Redemption 2 refused to run at 4K maximum graphics settings on RTX 2080 8GB as it need 11GB so it will also refused to run on RTX 3080 10GB too.

aeiO2Ye.png

I tried to run Wolfenstein 2 but it crashed before reached main menu.

CEYJogH.jpg

Ran it again to take screenshot splash screen worked fine.

lU3yFGB.png

I spend 2 days figured out why Wolfenstein crashed found RTSS was caused it, I used latest MSI Afterburner and RTSS beta version and found the solution surprised RTSS hated Wolfenstein 2's Motion Blur and I turned it off exited the game then launched MSI Afterburner and Wolfenstein 2 finally ran without crashed. Strange!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/612880/discussions/0/1643164649203403634/

Wolfenstein 2 at 1440p and 4K with graphics maxed out excepted Motion Blur & used 16K textures used 20.4GB total GPU memory (7882MB GPU dedicated memory and 12616MB GPU shared memory). Tried to take screenshot with MSI Afterburner hotkey but ended up with black screenshot so I take a picture on my phone instead.

DqBpbwp.jpg

I am concern 10GB is not enough with next gen games used DirectStorage/RTX I/O will not able to access system RAM for GPU memory shared so it will completely bypass CPU and system RAM and GPU will have direct access to SSD. If games modders will able to use DirectStorage/RTX I/O in current modded games with HD textures such as GTA V, Skyrim etc will need 20GB VRAM mean it will no longer use system RAM as shared GPU memory.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Of course there are games that needs more than 10GB from what I have seen.
How do all reviewers manage to run them? Why has no reviewer made such observations in this climate where the 10gb is not enough would have generated a lot of interest and clicks?

I recommend you look into the difference between cached and actually used vram. There really is a big difference.

I agree 10gb is not ideal, I would have liked to have seen more, but not at the expense of paying more. By the time next gen games start to regularly come out I will be on a next gen card. Right now every games runs fine on 10gb with a 3080. If this was not the case there are a few here who would have a field day showing us evidence to the contrary.

End of the day if 10gb is a concern people have the option of going AMD with 16gb GDDR6 or waiting and going 20gb 3080 and likely paying £900+ for it. For me it just is not worth it as I plan on upgrading to Hopper/Arcturus anyway. I am not saying it is not worth it for anyone, depends on your use case.

I am concern 10GB is not enough with next gen games used DirectStorage/RTX I/O will not able to access system RAM for GPU memory shared so it will completely bypass CPU and system RAM and GPU will have direct access to SSD. If games modders will able to use DirectStorage/RTX I/O in current modded games with HD textures such as GTA V, Skyrim etc will need 20GB VRAM mean it will no longer use system RAM as shared GPU memory
That tech is not exactly round the corner. How many games that you will want to play do you seriously think will come out using it before Hopper is out? My prediction for myself is la handful or less. Hence my position. I mean end of the day if money was not an issue or one wanted to go YOLO and not worry, then you would just get a 3090 no? :)

Soldato
Interesting to see there are games like RDR2 that will refuse to run if it thinks you don't have the VRAM required, its also interesting that the 10gb 3080 runs into this problem of not enough VRAM in that game

Soldato
Direct IO is cute, but by the time we get games for it - hopper will be just around the corner - Direct IO is currently 6 months away, then another 1-2 months for any games to use it

Caporegime
Interesting to see there are games like RDR2 that will refuse to run if it thinks you don't have the VRAM required, its also interesting that the 10gb 3080 runs into this problem of not enough VRAM in that game
Very interesting if true, I hadn't seen that before. Would like ot see it confirmed by someone else.

Also interesting is seeing some members are now switching their posts from a repeatedly shrieking the defence that "10GB is perfectly fine, Nvidia know what they are doing and no more will be needed for the generation", to: "10GB isn't ideal, but..."

LOL... :D

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
4 posts up
Lol. Seems you have not learned yet. You cannot just come up stuff like that based on one random guys experience mate. Using some common sense, do you not ask yourself how is all the reviewers managing it but he cannot?

Before you take a random posters experience and run with it like it is a fact, go double, triple check that others have the same issue.

Very, I hadn't seen that before. Would like ot see it confirmed by someone else.

Interesting some members are now switching their posts from a repeatedly shrieking the defence that '10GB is perfectly fine, Nvidia know what they are doing and no more will be needed for the generation', to: "10GB isn't ideal, but..."

LOL... :D
Nice try at a strawman :rolleyes:

I have always said 10gb runs fine every game and by the time it become an issue on more than a handful of games I will likely be on Hopper.

Associate
Wolfenstein 2 at 1440p and 4K with graphics maxed out excepted Motion Blur & used 16K textures used 20.4GB total GPU memory (7882MB GPU dedicated memory and 12616MB GPU shared memory). Tried to take screenshot with MSI Afterburner hotkey but ended up with black screenshot so I take a picture on my phone instead.

I am concern 10GB is not enough with next gen games used DirectStorage/RTX I/O will not able to access system RAM for GPU memory shared so it will completely bypass CPU and system RAM and GPU will have direct access to SSD. If games modders will able to use DirectStorage/RTX I/O in current modded games with HD textures such as GTA V, Skyrim etc will need 20GB VRAM mean it will no longer use system RAM as shared GPU memory.

First of all, how do you get these 16k textures? All the links I've seen so far link back to a steam page which now lists an error, and I can't find any alternate sources, so am unable to test.

Second of all, with the new MSI Afterburner you don't want to use "GPU dedicated mem" or "GPU shared mem" to find what the game is really using, you want to use "GPU dedicated mem / process" (per process). If that is not appearing as an option in the MSI OSD options then it's because you don't have the latest version of Afterburner. I had this exact same issue myself, the beta on the MSI download page is out of date there's a newer build linked from guru3d here https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html (note the version numbers are the same, but the build numbers are different)

If anyone knows how to get a hold of the 16k textures and I can grab them, I'll test and post this. I did a test with Wolf 2 the other day in 4k everything maxed on my 1080 and was getting like 5.4Gb of vRAM used, so when people start talking about 20Gb used I'm skeptical.

Soldato
Hangon...Nvidia are saying via here that RDR2 uses up to 6GB of VRAM at max settings 4k.

"
Why only 10 GB of memory for RTX 3080? How was that determined to be a sufficient number, when it is stagnant from the previous generation?

[Justin Walker] We’re constantly analyzing memory requirements of the latest games and regularly review with game developers to understand their memory needs for current and upcoming games. The goal of 3080 is to give you great performance at up to 4k resolution with all the settings maxed out at the best possible price.

In order to do this, you need a very powerful GPU with high speed memory and enough memory to meet the needs of the games. A few examples - if you look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears of War 5, Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a 3080 at 4k with Max settings (including any applicable high res texture packs) and RTX On, when the game supports it, you get in the range of 60-100fps and use anywhere from 4GB to 6GB of memory.

"

Also just do a quick YouTube search for RDR2 4k 3080 and you will find hundreds of people running it.

This guy is running it 4k ultra and it seems to be using 6.5GB VRAM.

Last edited:
Associate
Its certainly possible to push RDR2 to refuse to apply settings because of insufficient VRAM, on my 32:9 1440p screen (as resolution affects things) i managed to get it to demand 35ish GB if i cranked every setting (clearly this isn't a sensible thing to do).

That it's possible to push settings beyond what a card can do doesn't mean you cant get something working on that card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom