Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [16th-19th Oct 2020]

Soldato
They've always had back up strikers tbf, they've just been so useless that they were never used. Who knows whether this guy is any different.

edit: confirmed that VVD's done his ACL - we'll be lucky if he's back before the end of the season now.

100% that's his season done. Looks like we will need to drop our defensive line a little. Maybe play a 4231 with Thaigo and Henderson as the 2 with Fab dropping to CB.

Get Billy Koumetio some minutes in the cup games please. Lads a unit

Caporegime
What I don't understand is why Liverpool haven't signed better depth. They've been lucky on injuries for several years, it was never going to last. Why do you have such a crap backup keeper? Why do you only have 3 senior CBs? Does Klopp not want to spend or is it the owners stopping him spending?

Caporegime
What I don't understand is why Liverpool haven't signed better depth. They've been lucky on injuries for several years, it was never going to last. Why do you have such a crap backup keeper? Why do you only have 3 senior CBs? Does Klopp not want to spend or is it the owners stopping him spending?
TBF, our backup keeper's no worse than your first choice keeper, certainly on current form, and I'd take Gomez, Matip and Alan Hansen (even now) over any of your CBs. Fabinho is a very good deputy so even though it's a massive loss we can cope without another one picking up a major injury.

Soldato
I think that's a tad ott. It's not like you look around the PL and see rock solid back 4's all over the place and in Trent, Robertson & Alisson we've got comfortably the best players in their positions still. If Matip can stay fit then he's as good as anybody outside VVD too.

Thankfully it's only a little over 2 months until the transfer window opens. We're very well stocked in midfield and Fabinho's shown he can slot in at CB without too much issues.

I wouldn't bet against us playing 3 at the back at times too. When we had a CB shortage a couple of seasons back we done that with Gini and Can playing either side of Lovren. Gini, Fabinho, Henderson and Robertson could all play either side of one of Matip or Gomez and it'll give Trent more freedom down the right too.
Yeah it's obviously not over but it's a massive problem. I don't rate Gomez as highly as some do, and we're an injury to Matip away from moving the next CDM in the league...

Ffs sod that conversation, what a goal!!! :D

Caporegime
TBF, our backup keeper's no worse than your first choice keeper and I'd take Gomez, Matip and Alan Hansen (even now) over any of your CBs.

Come on don't be silly. We literally have 3 keepers better than Adrian. It's a serious question though, is it Klopp or the owners? it's just so weird how you've got into such a great position and then stopped strengthening the squad.

Caporegime
Has Bale's 'never played in a winning Spurs team' reset itself?

Come on don't be silly. We literally have 3 keepers better than Adrian. It's a serious question though, is it Klopp or the owners? it's just so weird how you've got into such a great position and then stopped strengthening the squad.
No idea. He showed with Alisson and VVD that he's prepared to wait until there's a player he really wants to sign so it could be either. Going in to the summer, we needed cover for our front three, at LB, CB and in goal and we got two of the four. I've no doubt Thiago was a player we signed because he became available and he was just too good to miss out on. Signing him meant Fabinho could drop back if needed so it's only really the keeper that you could argue we messed up on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom