PS4/PSN hacked?

Soldato
Last night I was playing the PS4 then all of a sudden a message popped up said something along the lines of 'Signing you out of PSN as you are logged in on another device' then 'Signed out of PSN'
Immediately went go log back in and couldn't, so reset the password and enabled 2FA (don't know why I hadn't done this already I thought I did)

Woke up this morning and found a Sony verification code around 5am, so someone is obviously trying to gain access, logged into PSN on my PC and checked for any login history, attempted login and couldnt see anything, is there anything to see what and when the account has been accessed?

I've also just found that my PS4 isn't the 'Primary' device and I cannot change this, or deactivate any other devices??

Anyone had any experiences with this?

Soldato
The usual cause of this is that you've used the same e-mail address and password across multiple services and one of them has had a data breach. Using a strong unique password and 2FA should stop it happening again in future. Make sure you have 2FA enabled on your e-mail account as well.

It's a bit unusual that you had a verification code come through after you changed the password - as that would imply they also know the new password. I don't think there is anyway to see login history for the account.

You will probably need to contact Sony about the Primary device activation. There is an option on the Sony account web site which lets you deactivate all devices but you can only use this once every 6 months - most likely whoever was accessing your account already used this. Otherwise you need physical access to the console to be able to deactivate it. But if you contact Sony's support to explain what has happened they should be able to do an investigation and confirm someone attempted to take over your account, and reset the activations for you.

Soldato
I had a look on my account and couldn't find anything regarding who has logged in and when. As above though, as you seem to have changed your password and they knew this one as well (you only get a notification AFAIK if the password / user combination is correct), I would install and run Malwarebytes and an anti-virus program on your PC to make sure it's not infected.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys - I will try and get hold of Sony and see what they say.

I would install and run Malwarebytes and an anti-virus program on your PC to make sure it's not infected.

Yeah I have run AV scans and Malwarebytes scans a few times lol, all clear it seems.

Something I have found, not sure if it's the Sony PSN site doing it's thing but after a while (even while being logged in) it will ask to re-enter my password - does anyone elses do that? Or is that normal

Soldato
Thanks guys - I will try and get hold of Sony and see what they say.

Yeah I have run AV scans and Malwarebytes scans a few times lol, all clear it seems.

Something I have found, not sure if it's the Sony PSN site doing it's thing but after a while (even while being logged in) it will ask to re-enter my password - does anyone elses do that? Or is that normal

Yes, this is pretty new. It didn't used to reset as quickly as it does now. I don't mind it as with 2FA on it's at least safer than it was.

Soldato
Sounds to me like it hasn't been caused at your end then. Likely a data breach somewhere has led to your password being used, especially if it's something that is used across accounts. 2FA is active on most of my accounts now and it's certainly useful for preventing this in future. (And has done a couple of times!)

Back
Top Bottom