NAS and surveillance advice

Soldato
I think I’d pull the box in at least 1cm from the edge because the system won’t be able to see anything crossing the line if the line is right in the edge of the image. Remember it’s looking at the picture and saying ‘there’s a person, and they’ve crossed that line’. If you don’t have the cross option available then you’re relying on Appear and Appear is a weaker rule than Cross.

And LDC is a bit marmite. Lens curvature REALLY annoys some people. Did you get the 3.6mm or the 2.8mm?

And yes, definitely untick Smart Motion Detection.

And yes, that looks fine for the schedule.

And the two schedules are (top option) when the IVS rule is running and (bottom option) when you want the siren and/or flashing lights active.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@WJA96

Noted, I've pulled the box in about 1cm all around!

I bought the 3.6mm version (box says 3.6mm too). I hadn't noticed the curve until you mentioned it :D

Something is not right, the alarm is going off when I go outside even with the schedule set. I am clicking save literally after I do any single change on all the things we've discussed. Could there be something else I have missed?

What is the 'alarm' menu below the IVS menu for? That is currently unticked.

Soldato
OP
Ah I think I have cracked it! Under 'Video Detection', there are two more period 'Setting' options. I've set both the same as the the two period 'setting' in the IVS menu and that seems to have fixed it.

Soldato
There are a huge number of options and because these are ‘sold only through surveillance installers’ there are no manuals or training available to end users. These are not supposed to be a retail consumer product.

Soldato
OP
@WJA96. I forgot to say, thanks again for all your help earlier!

I've been pressure washing outside and the camera has not been alarming due to the schedule I set. I popped out at 8 and it went off (I forgot to set the audible alarm, but the red/blue lights flashed at me). However, I also noticed that it was alarming when bugs were flying around the camera. I had another look in the options and spotted the 'Video Detection' menu. I have now disabled that setting and so far I haven't seen the alarm going off. Was this something else I should have also had unchecked when using IVS?

P.S with that setting disabled, the alarm still goes off when I go outside.

Soldato
You shouldn’t need to touch anything in the menus apart from the Time, IP address, Smart Plan and IVS menus. Most other options are already optimum. Once you get your storage, then we can talk streaming resolutions, frame and bit rates.

Soldato
Oh, and Time is remarkably easy to mess up too. Enable DST, last Sunday in March at 02:00, last Sunday in October at 01:00 and enable Internet Time Server and change the update frequency to 4 minutes. Done!

Soldato
Have you turned off Motion Detection and SMD+ notifications in the App?

And I bet you enabled Disarming under Event->Disarming? Switch that to Close. That will shut it up.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can't see the motion detection and SMD+ options in the mobile app. I will google where to find it in a bit.

I am at work atm so will double check the other settings you mention when I get home later ;)

P.S the alarm didn't go off last night which was good :D

Soldato
OP
@WJA96

I had a look at the settings and the disarming option is set to 'close'. I couldn't find any settings in the phone app re motion detection and SMD+.

Going back to the front camera to mainly cover my garage and gate, you suggested before I could mount a large bracket to the side of the garage and have the camera essentially above the gate type location. I've had a thought...

Rather than mount a huge bracket to the side of the garage, what about if I remove this piece of timber from my fence and replace it with a bulkier taller piece (maybe 300-400mm taller so its out of reach). I could then mount the camera (and similar bracket to the rear) to that and it would be right at the edge of my property to hopefully give me good coverage of the whole front of the house?

JnOdIgah.jpg.png

Zoomed out pic for reference:
9uSG1MRh.jpg.png

I am going to be running a cable where the gravel is on the left of the pic below anyway, I could remove the two smaller slabs and run the cable under that (in oval conduit) and up the fence to the camera (I will figure out a way so the cable was not exposed - conduit/slot in the timber etc).
iyUcc5sh.jpg.png

Soldato
It’s notifications in the app. Make sure they’re both off.

Because I sell cameras and hate digging in your scenario I would fit 5 cameras. Left and right at the back of the house. One on the gate wall at the back of the house to get anyone coming through the gate, one on the house side of the garage to cover the garage and anyone looking at the gate and one on the front of the house near the garage corner to cove the front door and windows. I know that doesn’t cover the little L-bit at the bottom of the garden but it’s a huge amount of hassle to get a camera down there for very little benefit unless you’re storing something valuable down there.

[edit]actually, you could probably justify a 6th camera to the right of the front door to cover the door and the front of the property.[/edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hah, yeah installing 5 camera's would be great but I am not keen on having all the brackets and cables everywhere (plus the expense of 5 cameras). I saw a house down the road from me and they have 5 camera's, a bit like as you have suggested (it was done quite neat from what i can tell).

I am not a fan of digging either, but removing the gravel shouldn't be too bad. It's not like I am going to be sticking a spade down there so I wont worry about digging it too deep - probably 40mm and put the gravel back on top. I was toying with the ideal of trying to put it in 20mm oval conduit.

With regards to the little L bit of the garden, I have thought of a plan for this too. A bit like my suggestion re installing a bigger bit of timber to the fence by the gate, I could do the same thing at the corner of my garden so I could mount a camera on that which would look in to the little L bit. That way I would only need 3 camera's. I would only do that if I installed a home office in the little L bit though.

My plan will be to run 3 network cables, 2 to the gate area; one going in to the garage in case I ever want a network point in there, one for the gate camera, and finally a third cable along my fence up to the end of the garden for the possible third camera.

I think I've just convinced myself to get one with it this weekend now, at least remove the gravel to see if running a cable like that will work.

*edit* been reading up on conduit in the ground. Yeah, I am not going to bother with putting it in that after all. Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pay day is approaching...@WJA96

What are your thoughts on the dahua dome camera's? I am thinking It would be worth me trying one under the eaves on my garage (as close to the side gate as possible without being blocked by the gutter down pipe). This is the one I am looking at, which has the star light tech: Dahua DH-IPC-HDBW3441E-AS Lite.

P.S I managed to remove the stones around the house/garage in preparation for laying the cable, and install a small section of conduit up the side of the garage for the cable entry. I am just really waiting on some more 400mm masonry drills as I only have a 6mm and 22mm (I've bought 10, 14 and 18mm). Once they arrive I can enlarge the 6mm hole to 14mm for the two cables entering the garage.

Soldato
Pay day is approaching...@WJA96

What are your thoughts on the dahua dome camera's? I am thinking It would be worth me trying one under the eaves on my garage (as close to the side gate as possible without being blocked by the gutter down pipe). This is the one I am looking at, which has the star light tech: Dahua DH-IPC-HDBW3441E-AS Lite.

P.S I managed to remove the stones around the house/garage in preparation for laying the cable, and install a small section of conduit up the side of the garage for the cable entry. I am just really waiting on some more 400mm masonry drills as I only have a 6mm and 22mm (I've bought 10, 14 and 18mm). Once they arrive I can enlarge the 6mm hole to 14mm for the two cables entering the garage.

Ironically, I’ve just put a couple of cameras in MM. That camera looks pretty ordinary for the money. You should be able to get a 4K camera for that sort of money.

Soldato
OP
Which 4k one would you recommend @WJA96?

As I am not sure if it's going to work out ok, I will give your 2MP dome one a try and see how it looks. A cheaper way to have a play without committing to a much more expensive camera. I've messaged in your thread but forgot to tag you.

Soldato
If you mount the dome in the same general area as your 5 MP TiOC that will throw enough light to give you a colour image at night. They’re designed to work with street lights so if you have that level of light you get an excellent picture.

In terms of a decent 8K camera the IPC-HDW2831TMP-AS-280-S2 should be about £100+VAT or the IPC-HDW2831TMP-ZAS-S2 is the same sensor with a zoom lens which is fantastic for framing your image is about £130+VAT.

Soldato
OP
Street lighting is something I have out the front, there is even one about 4m from my front door.

I will have a look at those 4k camera's in a bit more detail tomorrow. My only concern (unless the images that come up online are incorrect) is they don't have the protective dome on them? My garage eaves are only about 2.4m high so could potentially be hit.

Back
Top Bottom