• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That's rather like saying that Intel have really, really perfected the solid rubber tyre, so it's much better than the modern air-filled steel belted things that AMD want you to put on your wheels instead.

Intel win if 16 cores isn’t enough and 24 are too many. But they only win as you can’t buy an 18-22 core Ryzen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So help me here...

Is it still the case that for most games Intel is better?

The hype around the new AMD 5000's faster in games was 'ambitious'?

Ta.

Soldato
So help me here...

Ta.

We don’t know yet. It seems the 5000 series will beat Intel in games and destroy them in everything else. We don’t by how much or in what scenarios.

Associate
So help me here...

Ta.

At the top of the stack there's really no reason to go intel at all (barring any drastic price cuts to intels top end). If you're buying more at the mid tier or budget level, well then there can still be arguments made for either intel or ryzen 3K, depending on what your main workloads are (this is due to the small premium AMD has added to the 5K line).

Associate
You are correct, and I stand corrected. Same point though! Intel are stretched to the max on what they can do with their current tech, and are having to clutch at straws like shaving the die. I actually think it's a clever solution to a problem of their own making, but it doesn't fix the basic problem that Intel are at the end of the road with their endless refinement of 14nm. There's no more low or high hanging fruit left, they need something new. AMD were in the same situation and managed to sidestep the problem with chiplets, but Intel are dragging behind.
Makes you respect the Skylake design more and more. It lasted 5 full years almost without changes.

Yeah, they are so hot they ship in graphite boxes. They are 95 watt chips. For reference a 4970K is 88 watt.
105W TDP, up to 144W actual short term

Soldato
for the first time they are claiming they are on par with intel... that's a big thing

On Par? They claim to beat Intel at gaming with Zen 3. (They were already close with Zen 2.)

While I think it's a a big deal just because they haven't been ahead in gaming for over a decade, They don't seem to be much further ahead of Intel now then Intel was ahead of Zen 2. So the fact that they are ahead (If independent testing verifies the claim) is a big deal. The distance between them and Intel in gaming doesn't seem to be that big of a deal though.

I still plan on getting one, once the hype and prices come down, but I don't expect it to greatly change the gaming experience over my Zen 2 CPU.

Soldato
I think Intel wins in other areas - like chipsets / motherboards power consumption, optimising their 14nm++ CPUs to be very power efficient playing with fine tuning of the frequencies, better binning, etc, all the things that AMD is not so good with.

Gosh you type some drivel tbh with things like this. We are not in 2006 anymore where this was the case. And actually the CPU's are pretty well binned already to get maximum performance out the box for AMD right now which is why there isn't lots of OC headroom on their parts. Can you actually find any source where the motherboard power consumption is shown to compare? Further to that, chipset. You mean the one where Intel haven't done anything with their chipset in years tbh other than force upgrades by tweaking them with no real reason.

Soldato
17% faster than ZEN2 not intel

don't care about LOL and CS:GO
but Farcry is notorious for being faster on intel due to single core performance.. sooooo

Claiming more than 17% over Zen 2 I believe - they said IPC uplift alone as 19% over a suite of 25 tests, and then you have the clock bumps... so more like 25%

(edit - and if you average the uplifts on the games they showed in the chart comparing 3900x to 5900x it's just over 26% across their game selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom