Dont touch that phone!

Soldato
And you think they are causing deaths?

I don't believe this law was actually created to tackle that anyway. Although will by default. It is being introduced to stop people playing games or taking videos whilst not stationary. It was a loophole some used when caught.

Ah you're naive enough to believe they put it down when they start moving.... They don't! And it was brought in for "texting while driving" naff all to do with gaming or taking videos.

Man of Honour
And it was brought in for "texting while driving" naff all to do with gaming or taking videos.

No it wasn't, sending a text message whilst driving has been clearly covered by the original legislation from 2003 since it's introduction. The changes are to cover use of a phone for functions which do not involve interactive communication. The specific catalyst was someone who was videoing whilst driving.

Texting whilst driving a car has been clearly illegal for 17 years.

Soldato
another thing that will fix this problem are the in-car driver facing cameras (not yet in m3 no ? hence steering wheel method ?)
in conjunction with eu mandated telematics on the car which capture what eyes were doing at least 250ms before the accident,
(this is really the direction where black box based car insurance for youngsters should take.)

there was some publicity on lorry driver camera monitoring software being updated to work with masks; presumably, in those lorries, you can proove you were not guilty of inattention.
Do you have that scania

Man of Honour
another thing that will fix this problem are the in-car driver facing cameras (not yet in m3 no ? hence steering wheel method ?)
in conjunction with eu mandated telematics on the car which capture what eyes were doing at least 250ms before the accident,
(this is really the direction where black box based car insurance for youngsters should take.)

Just wow.

What has happened to everyone? Why do we all want this constant surveillance of everything all the time?

Soldato
So M3 does have the camera it is just not enabled ... perhaps they were afraid of the driver, touch screen, behaviour, it might reveal - head in the sand.

Man of Honour
M3 does have the camera it is just not enabled .

All BMW 3 series with Driver Assistance Plus have a camera but it doesn't record things not was it intended to.

Edit: I wish people would stop abbreviating Model 3 to M3 :rolleyes: Do you also call a Ford Mondeo a Mdeo?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah you're naive enough to believe they put it down when they start moving.... They don't! And it was brought in for "texting while driving" naff all to do with gaming or taking videos.

Stop talking about stuff you clearly know nothing about.

Why are you posting in a thread without even reading the OP, making stuff up as you go along.

Man of Honour
This new law does four things:

- removes any ambiguity in the law where people may have wriggled out of situations in the past

I'd argue that nobody 'wriggled' out of prosecutions and the law wasn't ambiguous, indeed, the law was really quite specific in it's intent. The media has portrayed this as a loophole but in my view it just took a while for a case to go to a high enough court to be binding for a quite obvious judgement. Ultimately, this isn't a case of having ambiguity or a loophole but that technology and it's uses have changed much more quickly than the law. When the original legislation was enacted most phones didn't even have cameras.

Soldato
Stop talking about stuff you clearly know nothing about.

Why are you posting in a thread without even reading the OP, making stuff up as you go along.

My bad, I did read the OP but skimmed the article, but the same still applies, they are doing it anyway with almost none getting caught because there simply isn't the traffic police presence anymore. I drive for 8 hours a day in a large vehicle and I have to accommodate dozens of these morons everyday who just aren't getting caught.

Soldato
Cameras watching the driver is too much tbh. Id disable that immediately.

Funnily enough, I'm considering a triple-camera dashcam precisely so it has a view of me so I can prove my actions should the need arise. Like being accused of using my phone when I wasn't or not wearing a seatbelt.

Man of Honour
I'm considering a triple-camera dashcam precisely so it has a view of me so I can prove my actions should the need arise. Like being accused of using my phone when I wasn't or not wearing a seatbelt.

Does this happen to you often? You want to video yourself constantly when driving just in case you ever get falsely accused of not wearing a seatbelt?

Soldato
Does this happen to you often? You want to video yourself constantly when driving just in case you ever get falsely accused of not wearing a seatbelt?

I've never had occasion myself to use dashcam footage for insurance or in court; I still have one. It's insurance. Crash for cash was a thing up here.

Man of Honour
I've never had occasion myself to use dashcam footage for insurance or in court; I still have one. It's insurance. Crash for cash was a thing up here.

Insurance is insurance. Driving around with 3 different cameras recording everything you do is just weird. Do you have a head cam incase you get falsely accused of theft at the supermarket?

You have car insurance to protect you from risks you may encounter on the road.

Back
Top Bottom