taayrj 2004 Leon Cupra R - Project Log

Associate
Emocion Red Seat Leon Cupra R
Acquired on the 10th October 2020
85,500 miles. Pretty much completely stock except a couple of Forge intake hoses. Noticed water in the foot wells so will be doing the door seals at some point too. Not sure what else I’d like to do at the minute, so not rushing anything... But the aim is to get it on track and have some fun with it.

tX72OFj.jpg
10QVgdq.jpg
sk4rAvZ.jpg

Caporegime
100% fit a baffled sump. I was only around 15 minutes into a session at Donington when the big end seized on my 53 plate LCR, oil starvation was 100% the cause.

My car was only ~5 years old at the time and had under 60,000 miles on it.

Baffled sump is a quick fit when doing an oil change.

Also you want to do the n249 bypass as well as fit a better recirc valve.

Caporegime
This was the first relatively quick car I ever had back around 2003. I had the model with 210BHP

Loved it. Faster and better looking than the boxy Golf MKIV it was based on, and it handled better as well.

And it came with everything you might want on a early 2000's hot hatch

Edit - Found a photo
Leon_CR01.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
This was the first relatively quick car I ever had back around 2003. I had the model with 210BHP

Loved it. Faster and better looking than the boxy Golf MKIV it was based on, and it handled better as well.

And it came with everything you might want on a early 2000's hot hatch

Indeed. Mine was a 225, but still, far better proposition than the MK4 Golf, and the interior was the one from the A3 as well, which was nice.

The brakes were easily the best thing about the car though, they were absolutely sublime.

Soldato
My uncle had the non "R" Cupra, and a quick spin in that ended up with me getting an S3 (pretty much same car but with haldex and crapper brakes) I would definitely have another mk1 S3 again, loved that car.

Associate
OP
Sorted my leaky inner door carriers last weekend, carpets are finally dry and no misty windows! Except the passenger one but read that could be the pollen filter... so another job on the list.

7yPDDfZ.jpg
Ordered some new brake discs and DS2500 pads too as my light has come on the dash, so will get some high temp fluid too while I’m at it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The pollen filter seems to be a common issue on VAG cars of this period. Back in the day I picked up a 53 plate Passat Highline 2.8 4motion to use as a winter hack. I didn’t think anything of the steamy windows when I went to view it, the previous owner had just washed it. It was a week or so before I realised the carpets were soaking. Luckily I traced the cause to the pollen filter quickly, a killer for these as the ecu and all the electrics are in a box under the passenger seat carpet. Once this gets submerged in water, you’d be forever chasing electrical gremlins.

Btw I really like this shape LCR, especially in yellow.

Back
Top Bottom