• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
That VRR only applies to 1080/1440p and not 4K same as my TV (ru8000). At 4k we get 48-60.
PS5 doesn't support the freesync these TVs use only HDMI 2.1 VRR. Doesn't bother me as most console games are locked 30fps or 60fps with vsync and don't have tearing/stutter like PC games would have without VRR.

I've read that you can run 4K 120fps on the 2019 Samsung's with 4:2:0 Chroma and I think with HDR disabled (8bit colour), it's a HDMI bandwidth limitation rather than a panel limitation.

Soldato
I can see some of the games being full exclusives, but not the big hitters.

Timed exclusives imo.

Once they have secured a load of game pass/console sales from the Fallout/Elder Scrolls fans I can see them releasing the titles on ps5 12 months later to pick up some extra funds.

Soldato
While I am aiming at xbox first, I have decided to bypass any pc gaming updates entirely (for a while at least), and probably pick up a digital PS5 as soona s I can.

Though I am currently weighing up the £90 saving getting digital edition, vs savings being able to get games on disk.

Digital seems quite expensive most of the time, unless you happen to get a deal. As it's probably just the first party games I will pick up, seems likely will be paying full price for quite some time.

I'm not fussed about picking most up on release - have yet to get to LOU 2, Ghost of "something something", etc.

Unless there is anywhere to get digital releases at cheaper prices, think may as well get the full verson of console. (when ever that may be at this point in time. certainly no release)

Is there anywhere to get digital games cheaper for Sony?

Soldato
I can see some of the games being full exclusives, but not the big hitters.

Timed exclusives imo.

Once they have secured a load of game pass/console sales from the Fallout/Elder Scrolls fans I can see them releasing the titles on ps5 12 months later to pick up some extra funds.

I wouldn't go getting your hopes up.

By the time big games start landing, the cloud service will likely be available on a range of devices; smart TVs, STBs, PCs, tablets, etc. The streaming service will allow most people to play Xbox games without Xbox hardware, providing a means for PlayStation gamers to keep playing titles from Bethesda (alongside all of Microsoft's other first party studios). All you need is a compatible device, a £10.99/month (or possibly less, if there's a dedicated Cloud sub tier by then) subscription, and a compatible controller.

Releasing the games on PS5 detracts from that. It provides a disincentive to subscribe. The only way I can see it happening is if the cloud streaming idea fails and they want to recoup some costs.

Time may well prove me wrong. But odds on, I'd say expecting a PS5 port will result in disappointment. On the flip side, if the Game Pass cloud streaming service winds up being really good, that's great for those who bought a PS5 over a Series X.

Last edited:
Soldato
While I am aiming at xbox first, I have decided to bypass any pc gaming updates entirely (for a while at least), and probably pick up a digital PS5 as soona s I can.

Though I am currently weighing up the £90 saving getting digital edition, vs savings being able to get games on disk.

Digital seems quite expensive most of the time, unless you happen to get a deal. As it's probably just the first party games I will pick up, seems likely will be paying full price for quite some time.

I'm not fussed about picking most up on release - have yet to get to LOU 2, Ghost of "something something", etc.

Unless there is anywhere to get digital releases at cheaper prices, think may as well get the full verson of console. (when ever that may be at this point in time. certainly no release)

Is there anywhere to get digital games cheaper for Sony?

You can get get PSN topup cards for cheaper online. But even then I'd argue that digital still isn't worth it; I can get a game on disc for at least £10 cheaper than digital, sell when I'm done and get back some money. So games cost £30ish a time rather than £60. Over a year I'd easily make back the £100 saved going for the all digital console.

Soldato
Plus there's game rental services for £10 a month, at 1 game a month it's cheaper than buying new games then selling on - the disc version just gives more freedom, I see no reason to go for the digital version.

Soldato
Yeah, more i look at the key sites, more pointless it seems to get the digital only version. Especially as someone who hardly ever gets games on release.

I just wonder how long it will take to get one. Not in any rush though. Xbox going to be my primary platform this round

Caporegime
I'm assuming most of you will be playing the games at 4K 60Hz? I see it's capable of 4K 120Hz but surely they'd have to dial back the graphical settings by quite a bit in order to hit that? Just not sure if to go for a 120Hz TV or not...

Man of Honour
I'm assuming most of you will be playing the games at 4K 60Hz? I see it's capable of 4K 120Hz but surely they'd have to dial back the graphical settings by quite a bit in order to hit that? Just not sure if to go for a 120Hz TV or not...

1440p120 is a lot better experience than 4k60, and that's what I'll be playing given the option.

Soldato
...even then I'd argue that digital still isn't worth it; I can get a game on disc for at least £10 cheaper than digital, sell when I'm done and get back some money.

This +1. Buying the digital version is just locking yourself into Sony's online store and leaving yourself at the mercy of whatever they decide to charge. Which at the moment looks like £70 for a digital copy of a game :eek:

It's might be a decent saving but just be aware that it's only cheaper as it restricts your ability to shop around and sell games you no longer play.

Soldato
The only thing the digital version has going for it, is that it gives you more freedom to place the console somewhere out of the way - seeing as you don't need access to insert/remove discs :D

I'm gonna have issues putting mine somewhere on/under my desk where I can still get to the disk drive! :p

Soldato
Digital might make sense for some but I suspect most would be better served by the physical version. Especially if you already have a collection of PS4 games or want to have the option of buying them cheaply second hand.

Physical also means that I can sell my current PS4 whilst still being able to access my physical library. That alone more than covers the increased price of the digital version.

Caporegime
For me it’s quite simple. Frequently played annually released multiplayer type games like COD and FIFA, digital, as you are unlikely to sell them within a year, then they have very little resale value. Sporadically released SP story stuff that can be completed like Tomb Raiders, AC, Cyberpunk etc, physical, as you may want to trade it in once you’re done with it.

Caporegime
1440p120 is a lot better experience than 4k60, and that's what I'll be playing given the option.
Which TV do you have? Annoyingly my 3 year old LG OLED TV isn't HDMI 2.1 (wasn't expecting it) nor does it support 1440p120 (was a bit surprised), and I didn't manage to find many that do, although I didn't look very hard as it's really unlikely I'll buy a new one, but you never know!

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom