• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Un-Official Offical Queue Email Thread

Associate
So, I asked OC support if they could clarify if the 3090 Strix non-OC was even in production as I heard rumors it wasn't. OC came back and said they couldn't help and go to the forums. Now, I get that Nvidia and their AIB's stock levels are outside the control of resellers like OC. However, if OC are taking money for a product that isn't even being made yet and not telling their customers, that's bad practice and that could hit OC hard. I have since found this https://WWWdotFACEBOOKdotCOM/groups/ASUSPCDIY/permalink/3453015311448198/ (REMOVE THE dots) which I believe to be reputable. I think OCUK owe us a statement on what they know about the actual existence (or not) of cards they're selling and earning interest on.

Associate
Well, anyone who was 112+ in the queue for a 3090 Strix non-OC has gone down by 1. I've cancelled. I'm as certain as I can be that these are not being made at present and there's no timescale for Asus to begin. Every month that goes by, I'm just paying OCUK money in lost interest. It's a strange situation where resellers are earning thousands and not shipping. The question is, are the resellers having to use the money to reserve stock or are they just profiteering?

Associate
It was all planned in advance by NV and retailers to get as much money from consumers as possible for the mimimum actual delivery of product.

You aren't making much sense. The retailers have not planned this in advance. That's just a plainly stupid thing to say.

Retailers don't make money for products they can't deliver. OCUK would much rather have plenty of stock delivered so they can ship out to customers and actually book profit. Instead they've got millions in pre-orders which are getting whittled down every day as people cancel their orders. Not only that, the whole thing is costing them a load in customer support effort as everyone ringing up chasing up queue positions etc.-..

For me personally a pre-order makes sense when there is no stock, my order is in a queue and I'll get it delivered when stock arrives.

Some strange people have an emotional aversion to giving money to a retailer without immediately receiving a product. Strange people indeed.

Soldato
The question is for OCUK and other resellers; did they know that they were taking money for products that apparently aren't even being manufactured and if so, why didn't they tell their customers?

I remember the good old days when a retailer had stock which was then purchased until there was no longer stock... Not this lottery/placeholder buying scenario.

Permabanned
So, I asked OC support if they could clarify if the 3090 Strix non-OC was even in production as I heard rumors it wasn't. OC came back and said they couldn't help and go to the forums. Now, I get that Nvidia and their AIB's stock levels are outside the control of resellers like OC. However, if OC are taking money for a product that isn't even being made yet and not telling their customers, that's bad practice and that could hit OC hard.

It's very frustrating, but these cards all have pre-order on the page.

Associate
I remember the good old days when a retailer had stock which was then purchased until there was no longer stock... Not this lottery/placeholder buying scenario.

Oh there's plenty of retailers that are doing that (none of which we can mention here) but if what you want is a place that is not doing pre order and only selling stock they have then you can happily not get your card with them while you wait for stock to come in. Good luck with that :D

Associate
Well you can believe what you want but selling more than your allocation is basically just a cash grab. Especially when the number of sales/pre-sales far out weighs what is coming in.

Totally deluded unfortunately. If Nvidia and the board partners actually delivered stock to OCUK then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

OCUK have decided to allow pre-orders so people like me can put their money down and wait patiently in a queue for it to be delivered.

I guess some deluded people would rather sit there refreshing the website for 6 weeks in the hopes of ordering one of the 5 cards which they are getting delivered per week.

Soldato
Totally deluded unfortunately. If Nvidia and the board partners actually delivered stock to OCUK then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

OCUK have decided to allow pre-orders so people like me can put their money down and wait patiently in a queue for it to be delivered.

I guess some deluded people would rather sit there refreshing the website for 6 weeks in the hopes of ordering one of the 5 cards which they are getting delivered per week.

If you want to be part of the problem that’s up to you but let’s be honest, this was a full on paper launch and they had no intention of bringing any decent amount of stock to the party and we’re happy to let people just queue up knowing full well they are locked in by fear of missing out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if most people only start to get them because they are actually being produced in bigger numbers rather than the pitiful amount made for the ‘launch’ and the dribs and drabs after. They are taking the ****. All because they had to one up AMD.

Associate
If you want to be part of the problem that’s up to you but let’s be honest, this was a full on paper launch and they had no intention of bringing any decent amount of stock to the party and we’re happy to let people just queue up knowing full well they are locked in by fear of missing out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if most people only start to get them because they are actually being produced in bigger numbers rather than the pitiful amount made for the ‘launch’ and the dribs and drabs after. They are taking the ****. All because they had to one up AMD.
100% this. Look at all the facts. The stupendously small amount of cards available for launch. The incredibly slow rate these cards are going out to consumers. This was a paper launch through and through, designed to try and hit AMD where it hurts before they become a threat. AMD are becoming a threat for the first time in a very long time, and nVidia is desperately worried about loosing market share.

Associate

You're constantly confusing the retailers and manufacturer tbh....

I think we agree that it was a shambolic launch by Nvidia and that there simply wasn't enough silicon to go around, hence why we have pathetic levels of stock from Nvidia and the board partners.

OCUK were simply trying to respond to a crappy situation which was entirely created by Nvidia. None of the retailers were being transparent on stock numbers which suggests this was a tactic employed by Nvidia to keep the true stock situation under wraps.

By allowing pre-orders, people like me are in the queue for a card and will get one ...... eventually.

So yeah blame Nvidia but pretending like this was planned by OCUK is just hilarious wrong.

Associate
I find it "deluded" that some people are happy giving money to a company without any hope of getting their purchased product anytime soon.....

Yes preorders have existed a long time but the vast majority are based on a firm release date when you know you are going to get your product. Not - "give us your £800-£1600 and we will get back to you sometime"

Soldato
I find it "deluded" that some people are happy giving money to a company without any hope of getting their purchased product anytime soon.....

Yes preorders have existed a long time but the vast majority are based on a firm release date when you know you are going to get your product. Not - "give us your £800-£1600 and we will get back to you sometime"

It’s nuts. But people seem good with it for some reason..

Soldato
You aren't making much sense. The retailers have not planned this in advance. That's just a plainly stupid thing to say.

Retailers don't make money for products they can't deliver. OCUK would much rather have plenty of stock delivered so they can ship out to customers and actually book profit. Instead they've got millions in pre-orders which are getting whittled down every day as people cancel their orders. Not only that, the whole thing is costing them a load in customer support effort as everyone ringing up chasing up queue positions etc.-..

For me personally a pre-order makes sense when there is no stock, my order is in a queue and I'll get it delivered when stock arrives.

Some strange people have an emotional aversion to giving money to a retailer without immediately receiving a product. Strange people indeed.

It makes perfect sense. Retailers have planned this in advance they have taken money for orders they knowlingly can't fulfill until doomsday ie OCUK. What's the worst that can happen for a retailer? a cancelled sale for an order they can't fulfuill anyway, with no doubt plenty of more mugs lining up for the privelege of handing £750+ to join a queue waiting for a product with no delivery date...OCUK etc must be p*ssing themselves...

"Costing them a load in customer support" - Don't make me laugh...:D

Some gullible and easily indoctrinated people will hand over good money in advance with no prospect of seeing their purchase, for months on end in many cases, and that think that's a perfectly usual and satisfactory transaction - very strange IMO.

I think I probably have a strange aversion to being a "rube". I know how it's difficult for people who have an "emotional" connection to a retailer/manufacturer or purchase etc to defend that purchase to the hilt, I use the world "purchase" in the loosest possible sense obviously...

;)

How's that song go?..."...for a pocketfull of mumbles, such are promises..."

Or something like that...

:D

Associate
Some gullible and easily indoctrinated people will hand over good money in advance with no prospect of seeing their purchase, for months on end in many cases, and that think that's a perfectly usual and satisfactory transaction - very strange IMO

Lots of things in this world operate this way.

When you buy a new car you pay the dealer several thousand pounds and don't even know when the car will turn up. Some weeks later you get a provisional build slot, some times those allocations get shifted around. 3-6 months later the car arrives.

If you need a new sliding door, you pay £2k in deposit and wait 2-3 months for it to be manufactured and delivered before you pay the rest.

If you buy any sort of custom furniture you go into the shop and pick out the colours and then hand over another £2k, then it arrives "when it's done". When you go and get a kitchen designed, oh wait you need to pay another deposit.

Deposits/pre-orders/handing over money before the product is ready to be delivered is normal.

You still haven't come up with a better system have you? I guess your solution is to have people sitting around pressing F5 every day hoping for new stock to arrive. Whereas people like me would rather pay £800 on Day 1 knowing that our position in the queue is saved for when the stock arrives.

Just ranting about something you don't like because you're uncomfortable paying for something unless it's in your hand next day.

Back
Top Bottom