Quest 2 Virtual Desktop Performance Thread

Associate
a Bit of testing before any one else is up, upped the boost clock and ran virtual desktop in the front room on the second disk.
Flawless experience beat saber,and pistol whip ran like they were wired to the pc. It could be the enabled boost, or the fact the network was clear. When i looked at the desktop it was displaying 27ms latency.
So now ive got a base setup that works well ill try it later when the network is being used by the rest of the house. At least then ill confirm its network traffic (I already know it is).

Soldato
I have been using three games to test latency, Half Life Alyx, Eleven Table Tennis and Asgard's Wrath.

But, out of interest I decided to test the same three games in Oculus link. I was expecting it to be terrible based on reading people's opinion on reddit and here, but, in these three games at least, the Link was better.

Which really surprised me, as most people say Virtual desktop is better than Link. Has anyone else here compared their Virtual desktop findings in games with the same games using the Link cable?

Developer said that should be the best option.

Cheers, I tried it, but, didn't seem to make any difference at all.

Soldato
I have been using three games to test latency, Half Life Alyx, Eleven Table Tennis and Asgard's Wrath.

But, out of interest I decided to test the same three games in Oculus link. I was expecting it to be terrible based on reading people's opinion on reddit and here, but, in these three games at least, the Link was better.

Which really surprised me, as most people say Virtual desktop is better than Link. Has anyone else here compared their Virtual desktop findings in games with the same games using the Link cable?

Cheers, I tried it, but, didn't seem to make any difference at all.

Yeah, I couldn't get StarWars Squadrons to run in VD so had to use link, and link was just as good as what I've been getting from VD, squadrons specific issues aside, so Link does work pretty well from what I can tell, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it for seated games as it's less faff and it charges the battery/stops it draining as fast

Soldato
I played a bit with the Official Link cable tonight, and it worked pretty flawlessly and I had no real issues using it. Lone Echo in particular looked and played amazingly well. Games like Skyrim and No Mans Sky do exhibit noticable compression fuzzyness on grass and foliage though.

Link seems to be the best way to ensure compatibility with Native Oculus games, as Virtual Desktop has issues with a few games like Stormlands. I just wish Virtual Desktop worked well enough in my Lounge, but I think the only way I could do that would be to lay network cable down from my router to there. I do have powerline adaptors but I don't think they work well for streaming games due to latency.

Soldato
I played a bit with the Official Link cable tonight, and it worked pretty flawlessly and I had no real issues using it. Lone Echo in particular looked and played amazingly well. Games like Skyrim and No Mans Sky do exhibit noticable compression fuzzyness on grass and foliage though.

Link seems to be the best way to ensure compatibility with Native Oculus games, as Virtual Desktop has issues with a few games like Stormlands. I just wish Virtual Desktop worked well enough in my Lounge, but I think the only way I could do that would be to lay network cable down from my router to there. I do have powerline adaptors but I don't think they work well for streaming games due to latency.
How do you find the resolution using link compared to other hmds?

Soldato

From what I've read (not yet experienced as my link is in the post) is that people regard VD as better because its completly wireless, which is a huge bonus and imo worth a slight quality dip.

Soldato
How do you find the resolution using link compared to other hmds?

It's definitely a softer image - softer than Virtual Desktop too. I overrode the default resolution settings in the OculusDebugTool and it looked great, though there were performance issues in a couple of games. It's the lack of SDE that really makes a difference though. I went back to my Index afterwards and was shocked by how much the SDE was apparent compared to the Quest 2. I'd never really noticed the Index's SDE much before as it was so much better than the Rift or Quest 1. Makes me wish the Index had higher resolution panels.

Lone Echo looked absolutely amazing, and with none of the performance issues I had when running it on the Index through Revive, so I'll be using the Quest 2 for Oculus exclusives now as it's better than the Index in most respects for those.

Associate
What is the latency actually a measure of? I've only really played Portal VR stories and it was perfectly playable and a lot better looking than I remember my CV1 looking but there was noticable latency, not much but but enough to slightly break emersion.

The ~30ms reported to me actually feels like more.

I'll edit the missing bits in later...

GPU/CPU: GTX 1060 3GB/ 6700K
Router: BT Hub6 business edition (5GHz)
Network Setup: Router wired to Gigabit switch. PC wired to switch. Quest on 5GHz
VD Reported Speed: 866 Mbps
VD Streaming Settings: ?
VD Codec: Auto
Other Settings: n/a
Desktop Latency:
Game Latency:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hoping that one of you can clarify something for me.
From what I’ve read, it sounds like if you want to play a VR PC title like IL2, Elite or Alyx, that it can be done using either the link cable or virtual desktop. Is that correct?

If so, how are the two options comparing for frame rate and visuals?

Associate
Both seem to work fine but I'm not good at estimating frame rate.

Is there a way to view frame rate whilst in game? I can see on virtual desktop when not minimised, or is this the main way?

Associate
OP
Both seem to work fine but I'm not good at estimating frame rate.

Is there a way to view frame rate whilst in game? I can see on virtual desktop when not minimised, or is this the main way?

Use this for FPS and more:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/

Also with regard to visuals, when it comes to resolution the following settings in VD correlate to resolution.

VR Graphics Quality - Render Resolution per eye

Quest 2
Low: 1728x1824
Medium: 2016x2112
High: 2496x2592

So if you're on the 'High' setting then SteamVR thinks your native resolution is 2496x2592. I.e. you're super-sampling.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Virtual Desktop update:

You can install this update through your library on your headset. If you don't see the (Sideloaded) mention next to the version number in VR, install the patch through SideQuest. The Streamer will auto-update itself when you connect to your computer. You'll need the Oculus Rift Software installed to play your VR games. Get it here: https://www.oculus.com/rift/setup/

• Added Extra Latency mode in Streaming tab which reduces occasional stutters but adds a bit of latency
• Re-added Increased video nominal range option in Streaming tab • Improved default values (slightly lower VR Bitrate and VR Framerate set to 72)
• Tweaked clock rates when streaming VR games (you no longer need to check the Boost clock rates option)
• Fixed issues with games being stuck at 60fps when G-Sync is enabled
• Fixed Center to play space option not remaining checked after a restart

Not all games will work, please check the compatibility list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uWaxMeFxjWjihKtRjFGpd-nFY/edit#gid=2101885392

Additional Notes You can launch games that aren't part of your Oculus or Steam library by right-clicking the Streamer icon in the system tray, selecting "Launch Game..." and locating the executable. Alternatively, you can inject games through a batch file (.bat) by using: "C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "[ExecutablePath]"

Soldato
Ok, I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to get Virtual Desktop to work right.

My issue was that in some games like Eleven Table Tennis, the game was unplayable. In other games, like Asgard's Wrath, it was stuttering a lot. Even though my latency was fine. Using the settings that some of you provided here in this thread seemed to increase the Latency which increased the stutter even more. The only thing I noticed was that I had to use a much lower VR Bitrate to get the same Latency as you guys were reporting.

In another thread I posted about my experiments with the Link cable. And to me Link cable was better in every way than Virtual desktop.

Something wasn't right.

So, I went back to the very basics of trouble shooting and swapped out the network cable going between the PC and Wifi 6 access point. And tried the games again.

WOW, what a difference!! Eleven table tennis, never went above 22ms latency, even at higher VR bitrates. It's playable now. Asgrad's Wrath, same latency as before, around 40ms, but so much smoother and the graphics looked much better.

After all the time I spent watching videos, changing settings and messing about with config files etc, the issue in the end was a faulty cable.

Associate
Just doing some testing around the house on my mesh wifi, this afternoon im installing a asus ax wifi 6 mesh network and will repeat the tests and see how good these new devices are. Impressed with the bt whole home though. You can play in the attic using the 3rd access point a floor below. giving 42ms latency at 50 stream setting. However this goes up the creek when you run 2 4k nas streamed films as well as normal netflix on the various tvs. bumps to 300ms to 500ms latency.
Also this was only on steam vr home, as my daughter was playing around with the items i could go down and view the latency.

Soldato
Wow that is surprising. What type of cable was the original and new, and what length? Did it have any visible kinks or twists?

I make my own cables, have a box of Cat5e cable. Nothing visible on the old cable, it's the cable I have been using between my computer and switch for the last couple of years.

It must be degraded or something, as the more I pushed the VR bitrate the worse the Latency got, far beyond what other people were reporting. But now that I think of it I was playing Elder Scrolls Online and I used to get latency spikes and disconnects occasionally, I put it down to the game, but, maybe it was the cable all along.

Just something to watch out for it you are having issues.

Soldato
Just doing some testing around the house on my mesh wifi, this afternoon im installing a asus ax wifi 6 mesh network and will repeat the tests and see how good these new devices are. Impressed with the bt whole home though. You can play in the attic using the 3rd access point a floor below. giving 42ms latency at 50 stream setting. However this goes up the creek when you run 2 4k nas streamed films as well as normal netflix on the various tvs. bumps to 300ms to 500ms latency.
Also this was only on steam vr home, as my daughter was playing around with the items i could go down and view the latency.

Will be interesting to see the results!! Good luck with the setup :)

Back
Top Bottom