**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Yeah 7t is still a fairly recent phone. Unless you need a better camera or high refresh screen your good for now.

It's a solid performer. I was upgrading yearly for a while there but I just can't convince myself that anything on offer this year is worth switching to.

I've been really impressed with OnePlus so will keep an eye out for the 9 series next year. Having come from the Pixel I just don't see what's special about stock Android compared to the 7T experience. The one compromise is the camera, but I don't even have a social media account so camera use is limited to holidays that we no longer have!

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I pulled the trigger yesterday on the silver one. Coming Saturday.

Well I caved and ordered the 8GB version from John Lewis, collection available tomorrow so I shall see how I get on! Buyer's remorse may set in and it goes back, not sure yet.
Did you both get it? How is it?

Was soo close to doing the same, but I'm not 100% convinced its a big enough upgrade from 6T. Really want it though hmm someone convince me :p

Soldato

Was soo close to doing the same, but I'm not 100% convinced its a big enough upgrade from 6T. Really want it though hmm someone convince me :p

Like it so far. Its very quick, no lagging whereas with my note you get that. I would say unfortunately the camera on the note 9 is better but I didn't buy it for a camera.

No issues with the display - that I can see - yet.

bJN

bJN

Soldato

Now that I've had a good few hours playing with it, I do like it. I'm far from a power-user or such; main uses for me are for driving (Waze) and internet browsing. Rarely ever game or anything like that; though the camera upgrade is welcome over the OP 5.

The battery isn't lasting as long as I thought it might when using it so far, but I do have the screen set to 120hz still because it's just so lovely to use. The warp charge is LOLquick too. 9% to 100% in roughly half an hour is awesome.

Screen seems nice to use, I'm not as nitpicky as others might be over uniformity or such, but so far I haven't got any complaints about it. Weight is definitely more noticeable than the 5, but that's to be expected as it is a bigger phone - wasn't expecting it to be as thick as it is mind you, not that it matters much.

Haven't used the camera at all outside of a couple of "oooo what does this mode do" playing around shots last night inside.

Phone is definitely snappy though, swapping between apps without skipping a beat. Does make me think did I really need to upgrade at all, especially for £550, but the 5 won't be getting any more updates really, was stuck on Android 9, battery was getting slowly worse and the cracked screen, whilst not prohibitive, was annoying.

Only thing now is to sort a car mount for it. Used Brodit for every phone I've ever had whilst driving and doesn't seem there's anything available yet (or even the 8 and 8 Pro...) So I'm all ears if anyone has some recommendations.

Also forced the upgrade itch on the wife who's now ordered the Pixel 5 so I'll get a play with that too :D

Soldato
^^^ I still have my OP5 lying around. it's still a usable speed wise which is nice for a 3 year old phone. It got the android 10 update a good few months back too. Funnily enough battery life is better on the OP5 than the pixel 3 which replaced it.

Soldato
though the camera upgrade is welcome over the OP 5.
Still using my OP5. Thinking I can/should/need to upgrade. I was holding out for the 8 Pro or the 8T Pro as I was expecting but as I've been WFH for a while now I didn't need to then and the Android 10 update was still due for the OP5 earlier this year. Can't decide whether to get the 8T now or in the new year.

The warp charge is LOLquick too. 9% to 100% in roughly half an hour is awesome.
I think this term, "LOLquick" should be used as a status indicator of how fast a phone can charge from now on. :D

but the 5 won't be getting any more updates really, was stuck on Android 9, battery was getting slowly worse
Yep, Oneplust have dillied and dallied so much on Android 10 for the OP5 that I'm assuming with the Nord and 8T coming out recently there will be no stable Android 10 release for the OP5 now.
^^^ I still have my OP5 lying around. it's still a usable speed wise which is nice for a 3 year old phone. It got the android 10 update a good few months back too. Funnily enough battery life is better on the OP5 than the pixel 3 which replaced it.
The Android 10 update I believe was really quite buggy and had been rushed. It was retracted as an update pretty quick and people wanting to risk it had to use an app to download the update package. The original 10.0.0 update is showing on the Oneplus site but my phone never prompts me to download and install it so I'm keeping it at a long distance from my OP5. How is your OP5 doing with the Android 10 update then? If its stable you must be about the only person on the planet with a stable OP5. :D

Soldato
Oh really? Ha Yeah it's stable no issues running 10 on the OP5. My mate still has his OP5 so I'll ask him too. Used it for a long sat nav journey too no problems. It's got my work sim in it and I use it now and then but not extensively. no issues over the last few months.

Soldato
Yep, issues ranging from camera app crashing I think and call recording not being available. General system instability. 475 pages on the thread for the Oneplus 5's Android 10 update and 9,500 posts.

Soldato

It is very fast, the 120Hz and 240 hz touch response is very good. Very pleased with screen too I like the flat screen for a change.

Having the high refresh rate on the screen for me is a game changer.

Still not sure about the battery, it seems to run down quite quick but then it's a new battery and I'm using it quite a lot...

For anyone wanting a fast quick phone with very good screen quality and not fussed about the camera quality (it's ok) I 100% recommend it. Definitely over an older oneplus .If you want a good camera then unfortunately don't get this, I do feel let down a bit and thought the camera would have been better. But then oneplus are synonymous with not very good cameras.

I already have a note, I like to keep phones two years that is just over a year so might send back.

Anyone trying gcam on this?

Not yet mate. Maybe if I keep the phone.

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys. You've convinced me it's not worth getting a 8T coming from a 6T, will wait to see what the 9 offers.

Back
Top Bottom