Any Mini (2000 onwards) owners about?

Soldato
It was actually. I should turn that off as I have other options there. Thing is last year the car only did 2500 between MOTs!

Wow, only a £24 penalty over my policy. I assume that the mileage makes no difference to the price if it's under 60k.

The B48 engine does seem to be bombproof from all of the research I've done.

Soldato
I’ve just got a quote. Tempting now with turbo, wheel bearings and high pressure fuel pump probably getting ready to upset me. Particularly as I’ve just mentioned on a thread, car is now likely to be cursed with failures. :p
Where are you getting that quote as when I put the reg of my one in it's saying £80 odd a month?

Man of Honour
I think it would help if I clarified some of the ways in which the pricing works, built up from my understanding and having had these policies for years. It is, of course, just my view ;)

The pricing policy is very fixed - it only differs based on the following factors:

New policy or renewal - if you are already under cover, a renewal policy is cheaper than a new quote. Typically this has been as much as 20%.

Model of car - the policy is priced per model. Generally, it doesn't matter what spec or engine it is, the price is always the same for that model with the exception of special models.

Mileage of car - there is a price for sub 60k miles and a price for over 60k miles

Level of cover and excess.

That's it - there is no variation on price outside of these factors. Note that historically the Cooper S appears to have been considered a 'Special Model' hence attracted a much higher price. This doesn't seem to be the case now. For BMW, which is the same, special models were only M Power cars, hence why the differential for the Cooper S did seem rather unjust. So, in principle, it mattered not whether you drove a 316i with a manual gearbox or a 335d XDrive with every available option, the price was the same.

For the Mini, it is likely that Hatch/Convertible/Clubman are one model and Countryman a different one. That would explain the price difference Johnny has.

Man of Honour
Thanks. Ah OK thanks for that. I'm collecting it on Saturday hopefully so will have to ask about it then

They won't have a clue. Dealers have no involvement with the insured warranty product beyond seeking authorisation for claims. If you want to know, you should ring Mini warranty. They are generally very helpful and are happy to provide you with pricing based on factors you give them (ie, if i renew, what would it cost, etc).

Our Cooper is 3 years old in January so interesting to see what the pricing looks like for me.

Soldato
Comprehensive with 250 excess. £404 per year.

That is a lot cheaper than it was a couple of years ago the Countryman Cooper S and JCW was almost £900 with £100 excess if you let the warranty lapse, they offered a substantial discount (unlike other cars) if you continued the warranty our old Countryman JCW was £520 odd with £100 excess and recovery.

When I checked before buying our old Countryman the Cooper S and JCW were around £100 more than the other models.

The Clubman & Countryman have the same warranty costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve just got a quote. Tempting now with turbo, wheel bearings and high pressure fuel pump probably getting ready to upset me. Particularly as I’ve just mentioned on a thread, car is now likely to be cursed with failures. :p

Our old Countryman went through wheel bearings at a crazy rate all of them were replaced twice by the time we sold it around 45k

Soldato
Wow :eek: Are wheel bearings covered by the extended warranty?

Yes the tech at the garage said it was really bad on the JCW model as the suspension was all beefed up but ran the same bearings as the rest of the range. The turn in/front end on it was superb better than the F56 JCW Hatch I suspect this put a lot of load on the wheel bearings.

The layout of our drive also meant when reversing out it's normal spot it would lift the rear drivers wheel which would put a high load on the front passenger side.

Soldato
Yes the tech at the garage said it was really bad on the JCW model as the suspension was all beefed up but ran the same bearings as the rest of the range. The turn in/front end on it was superb better than the F56 JCW Hatch I suspect this put a lot of load on the wheel bearings.

That's good to know, thanks.

I really struggle to think of anything I don't like about the F5x range. I'd prefer it if the HUD used the windscreen instead of the silly little plastic pop-up screen, but that's minor and I'm grateful it even has a HUD. The Cooper S would benefit from a limited-slip diff, but it's only really a problem if you're driving like a dumbass in the wet. The suspension is quite firm, but not awful.

I'm astounded how well they are built every time I get in it, and the throttle mapping in Comfort mode is absolutely perfect. There really is no need to ever put it in Sport mode.

I could wax lyrical about it all day <3

Man of Honour
I have the hybrid countryman and love it. Replaced an X5 with a decent spec. It's more engaging to drive, comfortable and feel less of a **** in it. 217hp equivalent with electric and petrol feels spirtited enough. All nearby pottering around joueneys are done in electric mode so rarely fill up.

Back
Top Bottom