Recommend some wheels or will a refurb do?

Soldato
My tyres are leaking air fairly rapidly, and always have done. Since my car has been "in use" (by which I mean sitting on the drive other than a few 10 mile journeys) it's lost 13psi (down to 22) in the front driver side and about 6 each in the rears, in 2 weeks. Refilling the air every 2 weeks is a pain in the bum and losing that much pressure in 2 weeks without much driving is a bit concerning! This has happened on the rears since I've had the car years ago, over multiple tyres, but the front is a new thing. Upon closer inspection there appear to be little cracks or fractures in the wheel, on all wheels. The car had a mega inspection last week were comments were made on the tread of the tyres and no mention was made of finding a nail or anything (and I can't see anything either). The wheels are in overall poor or very poor condition:

9jPiHYZh.jpg

Will a wheel refurb fix the leaky air issue and cracks?

If I get second hand replacement wheels do I run the risk of the same issues either now or somepoint down the line?

If the above are not options where are some good wheel shops online? Most of the aftermarket wheels I find look naff. A Google image search for "E46 aftermarket wheels" returns a depressing array of chavvy looking cars. I can't really think of any from a skim of a few shops that would look OK.

It's a 2003 BMW 330ci, with MV1's which are 18" x 8" and 18"x 8.5" at the front and rear respectively. I am not looking to for larger, or wider, or stanced or stretched wheels/tyres.

Associate
Your best bet is to take the wheels to a prospective refurb place (preferably reputable) and ask their opinion, I'd guess no one here can give you much of a reliable response without seeing the wheels or some very detailed pics of the defects.

Quite often a tyre can leak where it meets the rim which would likely be fixed via a refurb, and i'd think any actual cracks would be fixed also but they may also write off the wheel if they're particularly bad. I'd think though they could just be superficial cracks in the top coat or similar as any structural ones would likely mean they'd hold no air at all.

Short answer, speak to a pro!

Associate
Refurb should do the trick. Although sometimes you can get a good bargain on ebay too for a set in better condition. I went from MV1 to MV2 in better condition with 4 new tyres (not the best tyres mind but still) for around £200 and sold my MV1's for £80.

Man of Honour
It could even be the valve causing the leak. I had a similar problem on my old car which turned out to be loose Shrader valves. Once tightened up I had no more leaking but you need a special tool to tighten them. If you don't have one from a bicycle repair kit they are a couple of quid on Ebay.

Caporegime
I was regularly topping up the air on both rears when I had my e38, once the wheels were refurbished (powder coated) I didn’t need to add any more air although as Pastymuncher says your loss could easily be a dodgy valve which I’ve had with a few cars over the years.

Associate
It could even be the valve causing the leak. I had a similar problem on my old car which turned out to be loose Shrader valves. Once tightened up I had no more leaking but you need a special tool to tighten them. If you don't have one from a bicycle repair kit they are a couple of quid on Ebay.
Halfords sell this tool. You can also spray some soapy water around to see where the bubbles form as an indicator of where it is leaking from.

Soldato
I recently had some Alutec Drive wheels fitted to my 130i in 18x8 ET43. The wheels are OEM in style, are a reasonable weight (10.75kg) for the price of a little over £400.

New wheels could be worth considering instead of refurbishing.

Back
Top Bottom