*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Man of Honour
I guess there's lots of "hype", but like films, perfumes and coffee machines, games sell on hype. But there's also so much scrutiny of the hype- predictions that people will be disappointed. You could call it meta-hype :D

Personally I don't care how others will receive it, and will get no joy from seeing them delighted or disappointed. It's my own reaction to the game that matters to me, and I am.... excited. Not hyped.

I'll be buying it on day one, to paraphrase your post there... I am... interested.

I'm interested to see exactly what the game is, despite watching some videos I'm actually really still not sure what sort of game it actually IS. I'm interested to see the size of the gameworld and how interactive it is/isnt , how breathing it is/isnt, how in depth the story and missions are/arent...maybe interested isnt even the right word, maybe Curious is the right word.

There are two big (for me at least) titles coming in November, AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk. With AC Valhalla, like it or loathe it, I know what I am going to get, with Cyberpunk I'm still not really understanding of what it is I will be getting.

Associate
and will get no joy from seeing them delighted or disappointed.
I've seen so many people who are really getting off to how much they think people will be disappointed. /v/, cesspit as it is at the best of times, has daily threads about how much of a flop it's going to be and it's such a circlejerk of bitter *********

Soldato
Not gonna be a day 1 purchase for me, probably wont even get round to getting it next year either as i want to upgrade my pc and also wait for all the expansions and dlc to come out for it as i dont tend to go back and play rpgs multiple times as i dont get a lot of game time. Now if this was witcher 4 i would have preordered it already and book a week off work and have a shower an hour before the game goes live.

Soldato
I've seen so many people who are really getting off to how much they think people will be disappointed. /v/, cesspit as it is at the best of times, has daily threads about how much of a flop it's going to be and it's such a circlejerk of bitter *********

I know what you mean... I would say actually a lot of my own comments and thoughts on it fall into that camp... Attempting to dig into it I think it's probably partly jealousy; I would love to be able to be that excited for the launch of a new game but having seen so many games have problems and fail to deliver I never could be... Even as I write this and read the comment above - taking a week off work?! My instinctual reaction to that is that it's ridiculous to do that for a game... and not something I would ever do (but maybe deep down I wish I could?)

Then it's also partly irritation, because I know that the same people having the game logo tattooed on their forehead and splooging over every message board on the internet about every leak and trailer now will be the exact same ones crying and complaining about every little thing that didn't meet their expectations... So the more moderate amongst us who are trying to discuss the game and enjoy it will be constantly derailed and interrupted by their negativity (doesn't matter that much, but it is irritating)

Associate
taking a week off work?! My instinctual reaction to that is that it's ridiculous to do that for a game... and not something I would ever do
Haha yeah same I totally haven't booked that week off haha

It's no more ridiculous than any other reason. I usually take time off for no reason other than to spend a week not at work and will do absolutely nothing with that time and I LOVE it

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have spare annual leave to take so just took the Thursday/Friday off as then I get a 4 day weekend to play.

It's quite surprising Porsche signed off on this collab where all vehicles are fully destructible and a game where adult content and violence take centre stage.

Not complaining :D

Associate
I know what you mean... I would say actually a lot of my own comments and thoughts on it fall into that camp... Attempting to dig into it I think it's probably partly jealousy; I would love to be able to be that excited for the launch of a new game but having seen so many games have problems and fail to deliver I never could be... Even as I write this and read the comment above - taking a week off work?! My instinctual reaction to that is that it's ridiculous to do that for a game... and not something I would ever do (but maybe deep down I wish I could?)

Then it's also partly irritation, because I know that the same people having the game logo tattooed on their forehead and splooging over every message board on the internet about every leak and trailer now will be the exact same ones crying and complaining about every little thing that didn't meet their expectations... So the more moderate amongst us who are trying to discuss the game and enjoy it will be constantly derailed and interrupted by their negativity (doesn't matter that much, but it is irritating)

A great, and very mature answer. If only a tenth of the participants on forums could be as honest about their motivations, the Internet would be a much more pleasant place!

Man of Honour
I have spare annual leave to take so just took the Thursday/Friday off as then I get a 4 day weekend to play.

I have 5 weeks of annual leave which must be taken before the end of the year, sooo....my AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk play time is pretty much sorted from mid November onward :D

Caporegime
Where is everyone buying this from? Cdkeys is looking favourite so far at £38.99

Edit: Seems you can get it DRM free from gog.com for £22.97 using a VPN set to Russia. Not tried it yet so can't confirm

Last edited:
Soldato
remember that time one of those sim city games said the same all citizens have their own routines! like normal people! amazing ai!

what it meant was

worker moves to home > worker goes to nearest available job > worker goes "home" to the nearest available house

we aren't ready for proper AI in video games where the actual people who live in it work, earn money, buy food etc pay rent, maybe get poor turn to crime or have motives similar to the player.

maybe in our life time if we live long enough.

games are still really shallow behind the scenes

Star Citizen is aiming at that - https://youtu.be/_8VFw1F-olQ?t=1597

Thing is, why bother to expand, do R&D and such when even stuff such as Fallout 76 is bought, no matter how bad it is? :D

Back
Top Bottom