Fans & Controller for Custom Loop

Associate
Planning a new build, and I'm going with custom loop cooling which I'm new to.

Previous build was 8 years ago and my case came with fans and little bit of LED already installed. A lot has changed in the enthusiast arena since then, so I could use some advice on fans, fan controller, and RGB.

Will be using:
* 2 x 360mm radiators - so at least 6 x 120mm fans there
* 1 additional 120mm exhaust fan
* 2 additional 140mm intake fans (or possibly another 3 x 120mm).

So we're talking either 9 or 10 fans total.

For the radiator fans I should use good static pressure fans rather than airflow fans right? And good airflow fans for the non-radiator fans?

Ideally want quiet fans but without compromise to cooling efficiency.

I also like the idea of using RGB fans, but the cost adds up for these so I might get just 3 x 120 RGB fans, and the rest of the fans could be non-RGB, and I can just add some RGB LED strips into the case.

So any fan recommendations? I've read Be Quiet! are great for quiet operation but may sacrifice cooling efficiency unless RPM is turned up but then they lose their quietness.

Arctic P12 PWM also highly recommended but no RGB. Corsair RGB fans look decent too - but my motherboard is an Asus, is there a compatibility issue with using an Asus Aura mobo with Corsair iCue?

With up to 10 fans in the case, is a fan controller hub the best way to go to have full control over the fans? And does a controller hub allow you to connect and control 10 fans at once, or are additional splitters or chain cables required? Any controller recommendations?

For RGB control - I keep seeing RGB software like Asus Aura and Corsair iCue, but do these also involve the use of an RGB controller hub? Is there an all-in-one controller hub that allows full control of both fans and RGB (assuming I'm using RGB fans and non-RGB fans and also RGB LED strips)?

Extra info:
Case is a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (all the rage these days!)
Motherboard is an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Any advice much appreciated.

Associate
Fans go for the Arctic P12 PWM. It will make your 011D different by not having RGB fans.
Controller or fan hub? Hubs are cheaper and you can control the fans via the BIOS. Or you could get the Aquacomputer Octo controller which has is own software and 8 channels for fans. You can use splitters to run multiple fans on one channel.

Associate
OP
Fans go for the Arctic P12 PWM. It will make your 011D different by not having RGB fans.
Controller or fan hub? Hubs are cheaper and you can control the fans via the BIOS. Or you could get the Aquacomputer Octo controller which has is own software and 8 channels for fans. You can use splitters to run multiple fans on one channel.

Exactly the info I was looking for! The aquacomputer Octo looks like it does precisely what I need.

And also a very good point with not using RGB fans to make my O11D XL different to everyone else's. I only realised after I'd bought the case that everybody and their mother were also building in one!!

Thanks man, appreciate the info!

Associate
I'm also going for an O11D XL build with two 360 rads (haha, not an uncommon setup...).

My plan is to have both of the rads (top and bottom) as intake, so they're both pulling in cool air from outside the case, then 2-3 side exhausts.

I've gone a bit mad with the Aqua Computer stuff (ordered, not arrived yet) but you can keep it pretty simple and still get a lot of control over fan speed depending on temperatures etc.

Each header on the board can easily power several fans with splitters, so you could still have 9-10 fans using the cheaper 4-channel Quadro instead of the Octo. If you're going to be buying splitters either way, it might work out cheaper overall.

There are loads of ways you could set it up, but you don't need to control every fan individually so I'd go with something like:
  • Radiator 1, 3x fans -> 1xSplitty4 (Aqua Computer's 4-way splitter board)
  • Radiator 2, 3x fans -> 1xSplitty4
  • 2x intake fans -> cheap Y-splitter
  • 1x exhaust fan
  • Above 4 connections -> Quadro
Then you can separately control each radiator's fans as a group, the intake fans, and the exhaust, which is plenty of control and probably even overkill (you could hook up all the radiator fans to one channel for instance).

The quadro comes with a temperature sensor which you can place inside or outside the case, most people also recommend a water temperature sensor which you could connect to the Quadro/Octo, then I think there's a lot of ways you can play with it in their software, but I've not got as far as using that yet lol

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
I’ve got the same software and the octo fan/sensor/rgb board. 8 fan headers, 4 sensor and 2rgb circuits. It’s the most complete bit of software I’ve ever seen. I can controller the rad fans based on either the gpu, cpu, or coolant temps, all at the same time, though something called virtual sensors. Still lots to learn as there isn’t a English up to date manual, but well worth the effort for £59.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, I've been checking out the aquacomputer octo and I reckon it's a must buy. Definitely grabbing one asap.

I assume it can control D5 pumps as well? Pumps are also PWM as far as I know

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
It can control just about anything. A steal at £55, though I think there’s a software cost after year one.

Back
Top Bottom