The Expanse

Soldato
@MissChief In season 2 there are examples where they murder people on the basis of where they are born. The Ganymede survivors for instance. There are numerous examples of piracy where everyone is murdered referred to. Season 4 is very much toned down from the book where the Belters are let off the hook for numerous murder and not in retaliation. The season 5 plot is based on 2 books where this is turned up to 11. The belters are downtrodden but that is insufficient justification in my book. Hence my comments. But that’s my feelings. I am interested how others feel about it as it unfolds. I don’t claim moral certainty on the matter just my own opinion.

Man of Honour
I need to get out more, I'm starting to find 'Bobbie' very attractive...

actress-frankie-adams-enjoying-a-good-relationship-with-her-boyfriend-find-out-more-about-her-relationship.gif

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Shame about Cas Anwar, I'd rather not see the character ruined although he is one of the weaker ones so maybe it doesn't matter.

Been thinking the books might be a good shout. Not been a big reader but I have actually enjoyed this series enough to want to get into the source material and get some more depth.

Associate
Nothing to add except this is awesome, and totally unexpected. Can't wait. I imagine they must have just squeezed the principal photography in before covid-19 really hit?

Soldato
Just watched the trailer hairs stood up on my arm.

And leave Bobby alone!!!!

This is the one of the very few modern TV/Movie's that is doing strong powerful woman right!!!!

Bobby, Drummer 4TW!!!

Associate
Yeah but Bobbies arc last season was pretty dire, that's what happens when the showrunners write original content not in the books I guess.
Well, the plot was loosely based on a novella short story. I guess they couldn't give a principle cast member nothing to do for a season! Also tied in with some Martian shenanigans to pay off later.

Soldato
I think the Expanse is great, one the best shows I've watched in years. Not perfect sure, bit hammy in parts, ok.
I think S4 was the weakest one. Though the OPA in space stuff was good.
Bobby is miscast. She doesn't have the physical presence for her character. But if you can get past that, I think she has carried her storyline well. She has great lines.

Soldato
Just watched the trailer hairs stood up on my arm.

And leave Bobby alone!!!!

This is the one of the very few modern TV/Movie's that is doing strong powerful woman right!!!!

Bobby, Drummer 4TW!!!
I always thought she was pretty tall, but according to wiki she's 5 foot 11. I wonder if it's just everybody else is short:p.

Soldato
Well, the plot was loosely based on a novella short story. I guess they couldn't give a principle cast member nothing to do for a season! Also tied in with some Martian shenanigans to pay off later.

Tbf, hadn't realised it was based on a novella. Regardless, it was pretty sloppily written and unengaging, I don't mind keeping her relevant in a season based on a book she barely appears, just have slightly higher expectations than what we saw.

Soldato
The stuff in S4 actually takes a few bits of Alex’s plot in book 5 if memory serves but builds a bit more of a self contained plot into it. Didn’t know that it came from a novella though only read the main sequence.

Generally though they’ve done a good job of moving plot elements to keep characters involved in fallow sections of the book.

Commissario
Tbf, hadn't realised it was based on a novella. Regardless, it was pretty sloppily written and unengaging, I don't mind keeping her relevant in a season based on a book she barely appears, just have slightly higher expectations than what we saw.
I expect it'll pay off in the new season...

The way they've been doing the TV series has been to mix and match certain parts of different books, so some things that paid off in a single volume of the book don't pay off in a single season because they've taken the decision for the TV (from what I can tell) to show things concurrently, from memory the books tend to concentrate more on specific people/locations at a time so in some cases you've got events in two books largely overlapping but only mentioned peripherally in either book if at all, then the novellas fill in some of the background detail/add more to what happened between books.

It's about the only sensible way to adapt books to a normal TV series, without mucking around with flashbacks, and one of the things that any showrunner/TV writer tends to have to look at doing if they're adapting a long series of interconnected novels, novellas and short stories into a coherent TV series.

I actually quite liked the Bobby on Mars arc from a technical/story telling POV as it potentially solves some issues they might otherwise have had in showing what was going on leading to upcoming events - think Babylon 5 where what seemed like minor events in season 1 or 2 become more important in later seasons, it also potentially fixes an issue they might have run into with the character in later series. Bobby in the TV series is from memory a combination of two characters from the books who have been merged and fleshed out, which can cause problems for continuity if you don't add something to join the character arcs.

Talking of the Expanse, I finally got round to reading a couple more of the shorts/novellas the other week and they made a difference in understanding what had happened between a couple of the books, and the background of certain events/characters (for example "Strange Dogs" which gives some useful/important information on the main planet in Book 8 and a couple of the characters).

And now I'm getting the urge to do an Expanse reread, this time doing everything in order as it's been ~5 years since i last read a couple of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Werewolf I have read the main books so I know where the Bobbie arc is going and the necessity for it.

I guess my gripe is more that it was poorly told, quite cliché with the scenario and even for anyone who hadn't read any of the books, fairly obvious the direction it was taking. Also her transformation from die hard patriot to criminal felt a bit rushed and lazy.

In a way, it's due to the excellent way the rest of the show has been written/produced that made the Bobbie stuff in S4 seem so unnatural and jarring.

BTW...kudos for dropping B5 into the discussion, that show was a masterclass of foreshadowing. ;)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its probably the best book in the series, which is important as the one before was a pointless turd.

Be like Amos..............

Back
Top Bottom