MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
My board arrived on Monday. Now have everything I need for my new build, bar the CPU! Running a 6700k at the moment, so will have to flashback.

Kinda feel like I'm being cheap going for one of these boards but honestly couldn't see any major reason to get something more expensive.

Associate
My board arrived on Monday. Now have everything I need for my new build, bar the CPU! Running a 6700k at the moment, so will have to flashback.

Kinda feel like I'm being cheap going for one of these boards but honestly couldn't see any major reason to get something more expensive.

It's still over £200 just for the mobo, hardly cheap :)

Rom

Rom

Associate
Question...

Both M2 slots are pcie4 x4 I think. One via CPU one via PCH. Should i just use the CPU slot, or is there something to be said for trying to utilise the PCH and give CPU less. Although ultimately CPU is still going to be involved.

Soldato
Is there a way to disable the on board wifi other than in task manager, as I presume that doesn't do anything at a hardware level.
Or will the board lan auto disable it if it see the lan plugged in ?

Soldato
For those wanting to prepare for zen 3, the MSI website has a bios with agesa 1.0.8.1 and a beta bios with a newer agesa.
From what I understand the 1.0.8.1 should be enough to work with Zen 3. (if, like me, you prefer not to use a beta).
I believe a newer version is meant to be released on Nov 5.

I received my X570 from OcUK on Saturday, but haven't yet booted it up to see what bios shipped. (I remember some boards used to have the bios version on the box sticker but I can't see anyhing that looks like it on this).
I will update once I have fired her up.

Associate
Is there a way to disable the on board wifi other than in task manager, as I presume that doesn't do anything at a hardware level.
Or will the board lan auto disable it if it see the lan plugged in ?

Can confirm wifi will auto disable when lan cable plugged in.

I normally click the lan or wifi icon at the bottom right to enable/disable wifi.

Soldato
Hi Koeiwong, I believe that's a windows thing ?
I was wondering if there is a hardware level disable option somewhere.

(oops just saw I said task manager, I meant device manager).

Associate
For those wanting to prepare for zen 3, the MSI website has a bios with agesa 1.0.8.1 and a beta bios with a newer agesa.
From what I understand the 1.0.8.1 should be enough to work with Zen 3. (if, like me, you prefer not to use a beta).
I believe a newer version is meant to be released on Nov 5.

I received my X570 from OcUK on Saturday, but haven't yet booted it up to see what bios shipped. (I remember some boards used to have the bios version on the box sticker but I can't see anyhing that looks like it on this).
I will update once I have fired her up.

Hadn't realised the 1.1.0.0 version was Beta...hopefully it's stable enough as I've already updated via flashback. Suppose it would be easy enough to repeat...

Associate
Will these boards run the new zen 3 out the box or will the bios need updated, I guess so but can it be done without an old cpu to put in?

Soldato
Ok mine came with bios v1.0.
As I happened to have ordered a temporary 3200G, I installed that so could have a look around the bios settings and ensure the motherboard is working. The only thing I couldn't find was the infinity fabric speeds, maybe a different name or maybe not on the older 3200G chip ?

Anyways, a few minutes of nervous wait while bios got updated to 1.3, and we are ready to rock IF I can find a 5000 series on release :o
That will at least get me to a post with the Zen 3, and we will go through the bios update again when the official latest agesa version becomes available ! :rolleyes:

Soldato
@bris Depends, not on the bios mine shipped with, but mine could have been in overclockers store room a while :p
If you get newer stock you may have bios 1.3 already on
But you can flash bios without a cpu:

Back
Top Bottom