Any advice on a new house alarm?

Permabanned
i just use 2 big dog's .. that will eat you if you decide to break in .. works like a charm ..and there very comfy to lie on ..
and give you loads of licks and kisses if you know them ..you could possibly disable one of them ..
but not 2 .. ask the neighbour he wanted to get a ball back ..but left it after they decided to try and climb the fence ..

Soldato
I've seen the floodlight camera and wondered about having it looking at the back door and garden so it serves as a security light too - when you say you can manually trigger the siren it that it or can you set it so the siren goes off when the light comes on and the camera activates?

Check out the Dahua TiOC camera. Security light, sound and light alarm and full-colour night vision camera. Available as a 2MP, 5MP or 8MP sensor.

https://youtu.be/Mr_o8x5pxN4

Soldato
I've seen the floodlight camera and wondered about having it looking at the back door and garden so it serves as a security light too - when you say you can manually trigger the siren it that it or can you set it so the siren goes off when the light comes on and the camera activates?
You can set the sirens on external ring camera sirens to go off if your alarm is set to armed and someone sets off a sensor (window/door, motion sensor etc.). I must admit I like my Ring alarm a lot, although it's been far less useful in recent months as I'm home most of the time now. I've got a floodlight camera for the drive, one in the garden and another spotlight camera for the side of the house. I think these all going off at once would wake the whole village. :D

Associate

In the app you have to press the button, there isn't a link for the siren. Ring does connect to IFTTT though, so maybe there is a customisation out there for it

Associate
You can set the sirens on external ring camera sirens to go off if your alarm is set to armed and someone sets off a sensor (window/door, motion sensor etc.).

How do you do that in the app? I can see the setting to switch the floodlight on when the alarm goes off, but can't see the siren on the floodlight to link

Soldato
OP
Right, I'm back on this as the house move is getting closer and closer!

I've had a good look at the Ring system and the only thing that is putting me of is the lack of an external deterrent and siren!

The other options seem to be Simplisafe or the Yale Smart system - although I'm not too keen on the monthly cost for the Simplisafe option!

Has anyone tried the Yale Smart kit? Seems to be a nice middle ground with decent remote control and a lovely yellow box to plonk on the front of the house!

Soldato
I do have to wonder though why not get the ring and the external lit up sign. And if needed a dummy box. A couple of external ring or other cameras will put off a thief more than any alarm box.

Soldato
I set off the panic alarm on the house we recently bought, which is part of the burglar alarm system. "I wonder what this unlabelled red button on the wall does?".. Cue frantic searching through the paperwork to find the alarm details. At least we had a prompt introduction with our new neighbours, the racket brought them all out of their houses!

Soldato
The other options seem to be Simplisafe or the Yale Smart system - although I'm not too keen on the monthly cost for the Simplisafe option!

I decided to suck up the cost for the Simplisafe monitoring. You actually get a professional monitoring company unlike with the Ring. Does Ring also have a mobile connection in the event of a wifi/power outage?

Also Simplisafe is miles ahead of Ring in terms of additional components. Last year when i looked at Ring they only had contact and motion sensors, Simplisafe has those along with glass break sensors, water leak sensor, smoke/fire sensors, and freeze sensors, along with a panic button and key fobs.

You can also get additional sirens, which although aren't completely waterproof, you could stick them under the eaves and they'd be protected from rain.

Soldato
I decided to suck up the cost for the Simplisafe monitoring. You actually get a professional monitoring company unlike with the Ring. Does Ring also have a mobile connection in the event of a wifi/power outage?

Battery and mobile backup with ring. It is self monitored compared to simplysafe though so if that is important its the right choice. Cost wise it reflects that thought as ring is only £8 quid for monitoring and unlimited camera backups for 30days (monitoring is an automated call to 3 numbers). Sensors wise again your correct ring need to up the game here although if you have Echo speakers you can configure Alexa guard and it has glass break detection and also listens for your smoke alarm going off and relays it as an alert. US only just now but you can easily set it up in the UK. We do always seem like an afterthought in the UK. I like the look of the simplysafe system just did not like the costs.

Caporegime
i don't see the point in an unmonitored system tbh. Anything else is just a glorified door bell. A skilled intruder can just destroy whatever little device is beeping angrily at them.

If you live in urban or populated area i can guarantee 99.9% of people will just hear it and not remotely get involved or even care. None of my business attitude.

We have a wireless system, basic door alarms, 2 smoke alarms, motion detection. It feels like the quality of a childs toy but.... It is connected to a 24/7 monitoring team and a security team is dispatched instantly.

I've triggered the smoke alarms twice now by cooking (burning) food and both times they have rang within seconds asking me if everything is ok and i need assistance. IF they cant speak to one of the designated emergency numbers the guard is on its way.

Its quite embarrassing explaining your pancakes triggered the alarm you can recall the guards.

Soldato
OP
i don't see the point in an unmonitored system tbh. Anything else is just a glorified door bell. A skilled intruder can just destroy whatever little device is beeping angrily at them.

If you live in urban or populated area i can guarantee 99.9% of people will just hear it and not remotely get involved or even care. None of my business attitude.

We have a wireless system, basic door alarms, 2 smoke alarms, motion detection. It feels like the quality of a childs toy but.... It is connected to a 24/7 monitoring team and a security team is dispatched instantly.

I've triggered the smoke alarms twice now by cooking (burning) food and both times they have rang within seconds asking me if everything is ok and i need assistance. IF they cant speak to one of the designated emergency numbers the guard is on its way.

Its quite embarrassing explaining your pancakes triggered the alarm you can recall the guards.

I suppose it's a matter of weighing cost vs potential benefit - when you say a trigger dispatches a "security team instantly" I can only imagine you pay a significant sum every month for some sort of private security because lets face it, even with a police response, they are highly unlikely to get there before anyone has legged it! (although I like the idea of an A-Team like combat unit stationed nearby who all jump into Humvee's and Chinook's to respond! :D)

I definitely want some element of self-monitoring via cameras etc purely because my biggest concern is someone breaking in while I am home with the family - but that aside it would be nice to have some external support I guess - it's just a matter of whether the likes of Simplisafe at the ongoing cost of £240 a year is worth it over either the free Ring system or the £8 p/m "semi-monitored" system!

I quite like the look of the Yale Smart system but wondering if I'd be better with the Ring system with a couple of the external cameras that have the floodlight add-on!

Associate
Just grab a 10 piece ring alarm kit for under £330 from costco and use the spare change from the 500 to get an external twin ring camera setup. All done for under 500 with alarm monitoring and 30 day clip storage all for one price of £8quid a month. One easy to use and install system with no wires 2 year batteries on sensors and easy app and upgradable in parts if needed. fitted several of these for family and friends great kit.

I got this from Amazon on Prime Day for £289 I think, seems a decent bit of kit!

Soldato
OP
Has anyone got any experience of the eufyCam system at all?

I've been trawling through various videos on YouTube and came across quite a few positive reviews of this system and they seem to be pretty competitively priced! It's not a full on alarm system by the looks of things but they do have self-monitored cameras and even "self-contained" door and window sensors (although I'm not sure of these because the sound seems to emit from the bit on the door itself and so not a lot stopping an intruder just grabbing it and smashing it!?!?)

The camera's look very nice in terms or quality though!

Soldato
I've gone for the Dahua tioc camera as WJA96 suggested (5MP). I am really happy with it. I am planning to install a second one out the front of my house soon.

I've turned my outside light off to show how well it lights up the back of the house (it's pitch black without it on):

ztRgaMfh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom