BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
The shocks and springs are M3 ones, subframe appears to be in good shape as well.

30k miles into it now, nothing above stock M3 parts.
Usual servicing, fuel pump, water pump and a couple of cracked rear coils which is pretty common.
Just needs some tidying up - corrision on boot lid.
I have no idea of value really, it's not going to attract the normal E46 M3 buyer - I may get £5000 for it or someone may pay more!

I’d have thought you’d easily get £5k for it assuming it’s in good condition and non moon miles, I’d advertise it on Pistonheads - they may even be interested in featuring it in which case I’d say almost certainly you’d get at the very least £5k for it...

Associate
Noticed today when pulling into the drive with the windows down that my 135i is rattling it's bag off ridiculously now, more so as the revs drop. It's been noiser lately, but now it's just silly. Seems to be the infamous turbowturbo rattle of the N54 engine.
I've had a BMW Extended warranty since I bought the car 18 months ago, so fingers crossed BMW sort it.

Soldato
It does mean that. I have a receipt for BMW doing the plugs at 26k. At 34k in my ownership they tried to change them again, even after scanning my key.

CBS is not like inspection services where things like plugs are changed no matter what. The fact you said ‘major service’ shows you misunderstand CBS

No it doesn't. As for major service, it is perfectly reasonable to call the service which requires spark plugs, air filter and vehicle check a major service. BMW even call it that in some of their documentation.

All cars have a service schedule and the CBS simply tells you if that service needs to be done sooner than the 2 years / mileage limit.

CBS can't magically tell if your spark plugs are worn or your air filter needs changing. It is simply an algorithm that guesses how quickly your oil is deteriorating. That's it.

It doesn't. Spark plugs are changed every 2nd or 3rd oil service depending on the model.

Exactly. It's nothing more intelligent than that. It only tells you when an oil service is due. The rest you have to work out from that.

Associate
Noticed today when pulling into the drive with the windows down that my 135i is rattling it's bag off ridiculously now, more so as the revs drop. It's been noiser lately, but now it's just silly. Seems to be the infamous turbowturbo rattle of the N54 engine.
I've had a BMW Extended warranty since I bought the car 18 months ago, so fingers crossed BMW sort it.

If they do it will be like for like so will go again eventually.

Have a look at PMP cars on facebook. There in Nuneaton, not that far from you, if you in Stoke. They are brilliant on n54 engines, im taking mine there soon, for loads of work. They quoted me 850 for a walnut blast and to sort the wastegate rattle with upgrade kit from Vargas. Im also going to get the turbos rebuild while there off.

The rattle should be most obvious when starting the car from cold. How bad is it? If its not terrible, and not throwing any codes, doubt BMW will contemplate it.

Associate
If they do it will be like for like so will go again eventually.

Have a look at PMP cars on facebook. There in Nuneaton, not that far from you, if you in Stoke. They are brilliant on n54 engines, im taking mine there soon, for loads of work. They quoted me 850 for a walnut blast and to sort the wastegate rattle with upgrade kit from Vargas. Im also going to get the turbos rebuild while there off.

The rattle should be most obvious when starting the car from cold. How bad is it? If its not terrible, and not throwing any codes, doubt BMW will contemplate it.

It's got to the point where you can hear it warm/cold. No codes mind, doesn't seem like any codes get thrown due to under boosting until the turbos are pretty much dead.

If the turbos get replaced and last another 20k miles, that should see out the rest of my ownership in all honesty, hardly doing any miles nowadays. I will get it walnut blasted though, had a rough idle since I had the car, no codes, but spinning the wheel of misfortune it's either Injectors/Coils/Carbon build up. I've got 6 Delphi could being delivered from carparts4less, less than £100 which I though was worth a punt, so see how that goes!

Associate
It's got to the point where you can hear it warm/cold. No codes mind, doesn't seem like any codes get thrown due to under boosting until the turbos are pretty much dead.

If the turbos get replaced and last another 20k miles, that should see out the rest of my ownership in all honesty, hardly doing any miles nowadays. I will get it walnut blasted though, had a rough idle since I had the car, no codes, but spinning the wheel of misfortune it's either Injectors/Coils/Carbon build up. I've got 6 Delphi could being delivered from carparts4less, less than £100 which I though was worth a punt, so see how that goes!

If BMW sort it under warranty then yeah, obviously great, but if you are paying id be taking it PMP.

The Delphi coils are the meh one's. You want Eldor really.

Rough idle can be injectors, but then it could be other stuff heh. When i had a misfire i replaced all 6 plugs ands coils to Eldor and i haven't had a code since, that was over 2 years ago.

Soldato
Just watched the Carwow review on the M440i, the grill is made even worse by the radar sensor not being centred they have it on the passenger side grill would trip my OCD. I'm still surprised the grill design got into production.

Soldato
Got a quote for GAP insurance from BMW they're quoting a bit over £300 with the amount on the paperwork at 10k (car cost just under 13k) so going to have to have a look online as seems a little high.
They offered tyre insurance, i can't remember the cost but it was pretty expensive, like for like the tyres are about £180 each which i don't think is to much to start putting aside.
Went up the lakes on friday for something to do and give the car a drive out, it's just such a nice place to be and the power and smoothness is really good. Having been toying with the idea of a different car for years and not finding out that ticks the boxes i'm really happy with what i have.

With it being a nicer car i was thinking of getting a dash cam fitted so at least if i ever do have issues i've got it captured, looking at BMW's site they charge over £400 for the dual cameras which i'm not sure includes the fitting of it, i don't really want to spend quite so much on one but also don't want a cheapo one that is not that good and leaves wires all over the place. Do people have any suggestions? Would want one that records 24/7 ideally as we get kids ******* around in the street so i'd want to have the deterrent of them doing stupid **** and something to go their parents with as kids always deny stuff. I might end up getting the BMW one but will have to wait a bit to have the spare cash for it

nas

nas

Associate
I don't think this was posted yet...

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...XFyUtx6u6tZy_We1i89h8DQxA1Ez8vdY1-9pXVKFHhC6Q

N2CDRl5.jpg
o4dsejr.png
Best concept out of them IMHO, but still looks a bit weird... Is it the weirdly shaped bonnet? Idk
Why not just buy an 8 series? Which in my view has a more aesthetically pleasing front end, and what this change more closely resembles.

Of course there's a premium (8 over the 4), but it seems like a lot of aggro and a waste infact to have to pour money into what is quite an expensive car from factory, just because of a grill.

Caporegime
You know I'm speaking from a cosmetic standpoint, unsure why you'd selectively quote just to be pedantic.
He's right though. No one in the market for a 4 is also in the market for an 8. They are massively different propositions at massively different price points.

To say you'd buy one over the other purely on cosmetics misses the point entirely.

Soldato
I can't imagine there are many people who would rather have a 4 Series than an 8 Series, whether it had a crap grille or not :p It's just the small matter of the massive financial premium it commands by sitting at the top of the range, if you're talking M cards it's an extra £50k to move from M4C to M8C :p

Back
Top Bottom