What book are you reading...

Associate
Realised recently that despite having seen nearly all the adaptations that I have never read a Stephen King book. Started with The Institute which was a fun little Stranger Things style paranormal mystery story. Just finished Salem's Lot which was great.

What other King books are highly recommended? Preferably ones that haven't been adapted.
I've started Salem's Lot this week. About 100 pages in and I'm really enjoying the slow drip of something underlying going on.

Reading alongside Wheel of Time book 7 which is taking me ages to finish as I'm finding certain sections soooo dull.

Soldato
Yeah book 7 does drag, to be honest until Brandon Sanderson takes over it doesn't get that much better. Matt is particulalry badly treated story wise but when we do get a glimpse of the real him it is great. The series dropped off after Lord of Chaos until Sanderson but at least it was finshed and it a truly breathtaking saga.

Caporegime
It's long, I wouldn't say it's breathtaking. I'm glad I've read it but I'd never read it again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. It just loses it's way too much.

Talking about breathtaking saga though, started Dawnshard by Sanderson, the novella set before the new Stormlight Archives

Soldato
Fair challenge I probably should have said breathtaking in it's scope rather than it's quality as that was more what I was thinking. I'm glad I've read it but like you I might never read it again. If someone could distill it to about half it's length it would probably be remarkable.

Soldato
Ready Player Two - Ernest Cline

Disappointing, but mainly because I enjoyed the first one so much.
The world seems much smaller than the original book despite being much more accessible for the protagonist.
Didn't like the 'challenges'.
Interesting ending concept. 6/10

Soldato
Ready Player Two - Ernest Cline

Disappointing, but mainly because I enjoyed the first one so much.
The world seems much smaller than the original book despite being much more accessible for the protagonist.
Didn't like the 'challenges'.
Interesting ending concept. 6/10

Is Ready Player One book better than the movie. I know a silly question as books are generally better but I thought the movie was beyond awful and just a poor way to throw as many easter eggs in as possible for fan service rather than building a decent and engaging movie.

Soldato
Is Ready Player One book better than the movie. I know a silly question as books are generally better but I thought the movie was beyond awful and just a poor way to throw as many easter eggs in as possible for fan service rather than building a decent and engaging movie.

The book is vastly better. The film changed a lot due to not being able to get the rights to all the 80's iconic stuff that was in the book.

Soldato

I actually enjoyed the film but the book is much better.

Soldato
You generally have guided me well on books in this thread so will give it a go. I need something easy going after recent heavy sci fi.

If you were an 80's kid, the book is a fantastic rollercoaster story. It's a big kids adventure. I think the film just had a lot of trouble translating the virtual world in the book (that you could imagine) into something you could put onto the screen. Along with the lack of being able to use all the memberberries that the book had, the film just took the basic concepts and did something that wasn't the same story as the book.

Soldato
Following on from ‘80s childhood, I’m reading Shuggie Bain at the moment. It’s not my cup of tea at all. It’s well written but written well enough to win a prestigious literary prize? Hmm... My jury is still out on that. It’s not an easy read and doesn’t exactly gallop along.

Soldato
If you were an 80's kid, the book is a fantastic rollercoaster story. It's a big kids adventure. I think the film just had a lot of trouble translating the virtual world in the book (that you could imagine) into something you could put onto the screen. Along with the lack of being able to use all the memberberries that the book had, the film just took the basic concepts and did something that wasn't the same story as the book.

Born '79, 80's kid :) so should enjoy it.

Although I am a bit burnt out on 80's revival as it's massively commonplace atm.

Soldato
The World Walker by Iain Sainsbury.

What a load of Rubbish. It started off pretty good, but, went from bad to worse. I am really struggling to finish it. The plot and characters are so bland. There is no tension because the main character is so overpowered, so he is never in any real danger. And the author is obsessed with sex and breasts. After the intrigue of the first few chapters, the rest of the book reads like a teen boy's fantasy, magic powers, unlimited women and money. It becomes so dull.

Associate
A lot of people seem to hate Ready Player Two, like other's I loved the first one, read it when it came out, I was an 80's child and it hit with me. I loved it, read the whole thing in a day or two. Slightly worried I had Ready Player Two sat to read next and people are hating it. Had a few things spoiled in it already by others and I think I can see why fans of the first weren't happy with the second, going to stick with it.

Soldato
A lot of people seem to hate Ready Player Two, like other's I loved the first one, read it when it came out, I was an 80's child and it hit with me. I loved it, read the whole thing in a day or two. Slightly worried I had Ready Player Two sat to read next and people are hating it. Had a few things spoiled in it already by others and I think I can see why fans of the first weren't happy with the second, going to stick with it.

My opinion on RP2 is that it was only written because of the success of the first one. I can imagine the publishers insisted that Cline write a follow-up to capitalise on the success of the first. All the culture references seem to need explaining (widen the market to those who were not there at the time), the story is a repeat of the the first book, and the ending is particularly poor. One of the characters also puts Jodie Whittaker's Dr Who ahead of David Tennant's (unforgivable). There's a few other SJW tropes which date already, but it's pretty much the first book again, but without the charm.

The first book I felt was a love letter to the era, the second is for love of the money from writing a sequel to a hit book. It has no soul.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just started book two of Song of Ice and Fire. Cracking so far. I watched the series and honestly its a very good adaptation (until obviously it all goes a bit wrong). Very well written and really enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom