• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I'm guessing you didn't read these 78 pages? We have yet to see why 10GB on a 3080 isn't enough for the next few years.

Who needs to READ the pages? When you can simply count them!

I hope you didn't read all these arguments? That sounds tedious and exhausting, it's way easier just to look at the highest page number and determine the validity of the arguments based on that. I believe the magic number is page 42, once a thread gets past 42 then it's settled, it definitely IS an issue.

:D

Permabanned

I hope you didn't read all these arguments? That sounds tedious and exhausting, it's way easier just to look at the highest page number and determine the validity of the arguments based on that. I believe the magic number is page 42, once a thread gets past 42 then it's settled, it definitely IS an issue.

42 :D

Soldato
not confirmed which models they line up with but yes: AMD has 10gb, 12gb and 16gb rdna2 cards coming

Well if that is true that changes everything!

If the 16GB is the 3090 equivalent the 12GB the 3080 and the 10GB the 3070 then a 3080 only having 10GB is more or less irrelevant.

But remember more vram doesn't mean more performance.

Look at how 'fantastic' the Radeon 7 is with it's whopping 16GB of vram.

Soldato
AMD seems to be targeting Nvidia's segments

10gb card to battle against Nvidia's 8gb 3070
12gb card against Nvidia's 10gb 3080
16gb - not sure what's going on there, no chance against 24gb for raw memory capacity. For now I'll assume AMD either did not know about the 3090 or received misleading leaks from Nvidia for its specs

Soldato
Look at how 'fantastic' the Radeon 7 is with it's whopping 16GB of vram.

The Radeon VII was a fantastic buy for those needing it's compute performance (for work), on top of playing games. It was also a good buy for anyone interested in selling their card for more than they paid for it.

I bought mine on launch for £630 from OCUK. I'll be making a profit when I sell it (go check sold Radeon VII prices on Ebay....).

FuryX, with it's whopping 4GB VRAM (I'm being sarcastic, for the slow amongst us) is an example of a GPU with less VRAM than required. That card aged terribly due to running out of VRAM in many games. Same will be true of the 3080 10GB.

Soldato
The Radeon VII was a fantastic buy for those needing it's compute performance (for work), on top of playing games. It was also a good buy for anyone interested in selling their card for more than they paid for it.

I bought mine on launch for £630 from OCUK. I'll be making a profit when I sell it (go check sold Radeon VII prices on Ebay....).

FuryX, with it's whopping 4GB VRAM (I'm being sarcastic, for the slow amongst us) is an example of a GPU with less VRAM than required. That card aged terribly due to running out of VRAM in many games. Same will be true of the 3080 10GB.

My only point was that the 16GB of vram didn't help the Radeon 7 in games at all. It didn't have enough raw power in comparison to say the 2080ti.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wow, so many pages in this thread and yet it has somehow devolved to people feeling the need to tell people how adding more VRAM does not in fact increase the computational horsepower of a GPU? Eek.
Rich coming from the guy who regularly insinuates and at times outright calls people mugs for buying a 3090.

Constantly belittling other members, using straw man tactic regularly and finally sticking members on ignore after getting intellectually outclassed by them. Very evolved behaviour that ;)

Associate
This thread is one of the most boring discussions I have seen.. there's been no new line of reasoning beyond the first few pages..

Get creative guys, argue on data structures and divergence.. and specify a theoretical scenario that could cause memory overflows in real world situations :D

intellectually outclassed

It's the video cards section ???!!!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This thread is one of the most boring discussions I have seen.. there's been no new line of reasoning beyond the first few pages..

It's the video cards section ???!!!
I know. The only reason I said that is because of the way he goes about acting and putting people down, but he does not like the taste of his own medicine :p

Besides, if you feel this way, why do you keep visiting the thread? What other reasoning are you expecting, as you say it is a GPU thread.

Soldato
Wow, so many pages in this thread and yet it has somehow devolved to people feeling the need to tell people how adding more VRAM does not in fact increase the computational horsepower of a GPU? Eek.

I think it's a fair statement. Because the way people talk about vram in this thread makes it sound like more vram automatically equals more performance. Which is doesn't.

Soldato

Are you a woman?

Associate
Well your username coupled with your odd, irrational little outbursts over a tedious discussion on a computer forum, I did wonder ;)....

That's not a particularly good faith representation. I've made fairly well informed arguments for the topic of this thread, by both my own experimentation and collecting evidence and presenting it clearly. It's not tedious for me, quite the opposite it's stimulating to learn new things, learn the nuance of a topic, and learn how to upgrade and configure software to get a more accurate picture of metrics for things like vRAM use. I've learned a whole bunch both from this thread, but also the research it has forced me to do.

If you find it tedious I suggest you find some self control and simply not read the thread, why are you reading something you find tedious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom