*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Has anyone been in a position where they just don’t shift weight no matter what you do?
I’m 6’3, weigh currently around 17.7 stone. I haven’t eaten chocolate for over two months (I ate far to much of it)
I strictly walk 7k steps mon-fri and 10k a day on the weekend. Without fail.
I weigh myself every Friday morning and nothing shifts.
I need around 3000 cals to maintain my weight but on average eat around 2100 daily, probably a bit more on the weekend but equally burning 400 odd cals in exercise.
I’ve dabbled in having no breakfast to intermittently fast but it’s achieved nothing. I don’t change things regularly so a bit confused truth be told.
What gives?!

Are you sure you're recording everything and everything accurately? Weigh things from time to time to check, for example.

I would suggest you perhaps don't need 3,000 cals? I'm 6'3 and 15-5 and 3,000 cals plus about 1,000 cals of exercise a day is keeping me at my same weight.

If 7k steps is all your exercise, I would suggest you need to do a little more and higher intensity, like running, cycling, or even skipping for 30 minutes.

Don
Are you sure you're recording everything and everything accurately? Weigh things from time to time to check, for example.

I would suggest you perhaps don't need 3,000 cals? I'm 6'3 and 15-5 and 3,000 cals plus about 1,000 cals of exercise a day is keeping me at my same weight.

If 7k steps is all your exercise, I would suggest you need to do a little more and higher intensity, like running, cycling, or even skipping for 30 minutes.

No I’m not eating 3000 cals, that’s my maintain weight cals. Hence reducing them to 2000.

I play football twice a week and walk a lot more on the weekend. I think that’s substantial burnage? I’m not wanting a quick loss, just something that is a lifestyle change but results to show progress.

I record everything in MFP

Caporegime
Carbs isn’t calories. 130g carbs * 4 = 520kcals. 1g protein per kg body weight = 111g and then whatever amount of fat you like is the formula I use. But you have more muscle so you may need more protein. Maybe 1.5g per kg.

Soldato
I don't use steps so not sure how that ranks on activity level but if weight isn't coming off then either you have very low metabolism or there's more calories coming in than you're counting?

I'm an inch shorter and weighed around 19 stone start of this year if not more and down to few pounds over 16 stone now on around 2400 calories a day. That's with 3x5km runs and 6 days of around 15-20 minutes of bodyweight and kettlebell exercises a week with occasional long walk throw in.

Don't mean this in a patronising way but are tracking everything accurately? I've had some friends who didn't include sauces for example and things like sweet chilli sauce and mayo can add up very quickly. Same goes for oil when cooking, splash of oil for some can actually be 2 tablespoons which can be as much as 250 calories alone with Virgin olive oil.

Don
I don't use steps so not sure how that ranks on activity level but if weight isn't coming off then either you have very low metabolism or there's more calories coming in than you're counting?

I'm an inch shorter and weighed around 19 stone start of this year if not more and down to few pounds over 16 stone now on around 2400 calories a day. That's with 3x5km runs and 6 days of around 15-20 minutes of bodyweight and kettlebell exercises a week with occasional long walk throw in.

Don't mean this in a patronising way but are tracking everything accurately? I've had some friends who didn't include sauces for example and things like sweet chilli sauce and mayo can add up very quickly. Same goes for oil when cooking, splash of oil for some can actually be 2 tablespoons which can be as much as 250 calories alone with Virgin olive oil.

Not patronising at all. I often think my body is just broken :p I am pretty ruthless with cal counting, weighing everything. There is not a chance in hell I'm going near my maintain cals!

Soldato
OP
No I’m not eating 3000 cals, that’s my maintain weight cals. Hence reducing them to 2000.

No, I know, but you said your body needs 3,000 to maintain and you based your maths off that. I'm suggesting that's possibly rather high. As I said, I aim for 3,000 and burn about 1,000 a day and I'm maintaining with that (So I would maintain with 2,000 and little exercise). When I was losing weight, I aimed under 2,000 and cycled an hour 5 or 6 times a week.

I play football twice a week and walk a lot more on the weekend.

Personally, I would suggesting upping the exercise. I know in the past I would play football once and week and go to the gym two or three times a week and this was during the years I was gaining weight. (I didn't measure cals back then, which were likely very high) Do you have a decent heart rate monitor? It would be interesting to know, for example, your average heart rate while playing football, or walking. If I didn't have an average over 120 for an hour, I didn't think I was working hard enough.

It's pretty simply really. Energy in and energy out. You need to change that some more if you're currently balanced.

Soldato
OP
I'm a little unsure at the moment, what to do. I'm finding myself hungry more than I usually have been, so have eaten a little more than I normally would, maybe between 3,200 and 3,600 a day. I have put on a couple more pounds (15st 7 this morning, up from 15st 4 or 5 I've been hovering at) but at the same time, I'm making more effort in the gym than I have for years. I've still got some DOMS from Chest & Triceps day on Thursday for example and it didn't used to be often I would have DOMS at all (I didn't used to split body groups, I just did a general overall workout to 'stay in shape'). My scales say my body fat % is still ~20.4%, so I guess I shouldn't be concerned. I suppose I just don't want to keep making excuses and before you know it, I'm way to heavy... It doesn't help, now the weather's turning, I wont be out cycling as much. I jog, but I can't maintain a prolonged run due to my knee being in a bad way.

Soldato
You know what's not conductive to weight loss? Making a big tray of flapjacks!

I joined the gym last week, just in time for them to close tomorrow! I found last time i went to the gym i was a similar weight to i am now, but felt i looked a lot better. I'm not going to be chasing huge weights, but adding some muscle and helping build my core for better endurance and less back pain are my main goals.

Soldato
OP
I joined the gym last week, just in time for them to close tomorrow!

Ha ha, I did see that in the running thread and thought it was some good timing ;) I think one thing to think about is what you want to achieve (you say build some muscle) and what you need to do to achieve that. I guess I point this out as you say you wont using huge weights, but bear in mind, you need to push pretty heavy weights to gain the muscle. I see some people in the gym who, I think, go way to easy on themselves and so they probably don't get all that much out of it...

I have put on a couple more pounds (15st 7 this morning, up from 15st 4 or 5 I've been hovering at)

I guess I worry about nothing, back to 15 - 4 this morning. It will be interesting with the gyms closing, if I lose that extra 3 or 4 lbs again.

Soldato
Yeah I get that.

At the moment I’ve only done pretty low weights. For example on the chest press I did 5 sets at 20/25/30/35/40.

Mainly to ensure I was focusing on form but also just to ease into things.
Once I feel more adjusted I’ll likely just use 20kg to warm up and then skip to 3 sets of 40kg and then build up from there.

Soldato
I have just got my first injury, 2.5 years ago I was 125kg I’m now down to 94kg and run 5miles 5 times a week, on Friday at the end of my run I got a sharp pain right at the top of my hamstring/bottom of my glute, how long to these thing take to clear up? I feel like I’m cheating myself and being lazy if I don’t exercise 5 days a week.

Soldato
I have just got my first injury, 2.5 years ago I was 125kg I’m now down to 94kg and run 5miles 5 times a week, on Friday at the end of my run I got a sharp pain right at the top of my hamstring/bottom of my glute, how long to these thing take to clear up? I feel like I’m cheating myself and being lazy if I don’t exercise 5 days a week.

how long is a piece of string...

Depends on the injury type/severity etc. (grade 1/2/3/4 tears etc) - Could be literally anything

Do you do any stretches' / maintenance etc outside of your runs?

Consider seeing a physio if it persists.

Soldato
how long is a piece of string...

Depends on the injury type/severity etc. (grade 1/2/3/4 tears etc) - Could be literally anything

Do you do any stretches' / maintenance etc outside of your runs?

Consider seeing a physio if it persists.
Nope never stretch, even during 16 years in the army I never stretched before exercising, I should probably start TBH:p:p:pit wasn’t a bad pull just a bit sore when walking or twisting, definitely too bad to run I’m hoping of o take a week off it should have healed enough to start again

Soldato
Nope never stretch, even during 16 years in the army I never stretched before exercising, I should probably start TBH:p:p:pit wasn’t a bad pull just a bit sore when walking or twisting, definitely too bad to run I’m hoping of o take a week off it should have healed enough to start again

Strongly suggest starting to look at some stretches/rehab exercises - the older we all get, the harder it is to recover from small injuries/niggles etc.

try looking for a few exercises etc to do whilst not running, also a good physio will help massively with recovery. I know when I tore my Vastus Medialis, he diagnosed it, gave me exercises to recover and also did some ultrasound etc. Sped things up no end.

I go to see a physio once every 3/4 months or so just for the once over and get a sport massage. I do a lot of crossfit but I also sit at a desk 8-10 hours a day so a little TLC is well worth while.

Back
Top Bottom