*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Need a quick thing confirming for me... Does all the Ubiquiti stuff require a subscription, or is it only items/services?
I keep coming across subscription costs, but it's unclear what it is/isn't needed for. I'm tempted to get one of their WAPs, but I don't want to have to pay a subscription to use it.

I think the Subscription is if using their cloud controller. Host yourself and no ongoing costs

I've a number of unifi equipment and the only costs I'm paying for are for the cloud controller via Broadband Buyer. Think its £3 per unit per year..

Associate
I think the Subscription is if using their cloud controller. Host yourself and no ongoing costs

I've a number of unifi equipment and the only costs I'm paying for are for the cloud controller via Broadband Buyer. Think its £3 per unit per year..
Great, thanks for the clarification. Am I right in thinking the cloud controller just allows you to manage your ubiquiti devices remotely?

Soldato

No, there is no subscription for using the Cloud controller. Why on earth would you give Broadband Buyer £3 per device to host a controller for you?

Soldato
Ah yes, but they don’t do ‘lock you in, rip you off’ unnecessary Cloud hosting so it’s probably OK to warn people not to buy that particular product.

True and very bizarre.

@mattyg @R.C.Anderson If you just want to "set and forget" the AP, just install the controller on a PC and setup the wireless network where required. But do remember the credentials and load it up periodically to keep it up to date.

Alternatively, a Raspberry Pi is probably the cheapest option for persistent running of the controller.
The Cloud Key Gen2 (UCK-G2) is about £165 and the Cloud Key Gen2+ (UCK-G2-PLUS) is £182 if you want to dabble with their UniFi Protect CCTV.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you don’t need to monitor the network constantly (it’s a home network, who actually does that?) then just set it up using the iOS/android app. No controller needed, job jobbed.

Soldato
Raspberry pi? UniFi Cloud Key? Run it on a local PC if you don’t need the stats or a Guest network?

@mattyg you might want to remove the competitor links. OCUK stock Ubiquiti.

Ah yes, but they don’t do ‘lock you in, rip you off’ unnecessary Cloud hosting so it’s probably OK to warn people not to buy that particular product.

True and very bizarre.

@mattyg @R.C.Anderson If you just want to "set and forget" the AP, just install the controller on a PC and setup the wireless network where required. But do remember the credentials and load it up periodically to keep it up to date.

Alternatively, a Raspberry Pi is probably the cheapest option for persistent running of the controller.
The Cloud Key Gen2 (UCK-G2) is about £165 and the Cloud Key Gen2+ (UCK-G2-PLUS) is £182 if you want to dabble with their UniFi Protect CCTV.

If you don’t need to monitor the network constantly (it’s a home network, who actually does that?) then just set it up using the iOS/android app. No controller needed, job jobbed.

Link removed

It a home network but I run my businesses from home and CCTV, Alarm etc.

It handy having the notifications if the power goes out etc. Would I still have that if I was hosting the controller?

Not to mention. Its got graphs n stuff

Soldato
The Cloud Key Gen2 and Gen2+ both have battery backup to keep your controller alive long enough to send a message and shut down neatly. The Gen1 doesn't but the usual workaround is to power it off a USB power bank or a USB on your UPS. The Ubiquiti 'mothership' checks in with each controller and will tell you it's lost contact if you tick that setting. For that you don't need to have the controller online all the time.

One VERY strong reason for not having your controller hosted with 'the competitor' is that if you lose access to the controller you've totally lost control of your network and they have your password and bear in mind that UBNT don't encrypt the passwords for the WLAN in the controller.

Soldato
The Cloud Key Gen2 and Gen2+ both have battery backup to keep your controller alive long enough to send a message and shut down neatly. The Gen1 doesn't but the usual workaround is to power it off a USB power bank or a USB on your UPS. The Ubiquiti 'mothership' checks in with each controller and will tell you it's lost contact if you tick that setting. For that you don't need to have the controller online all the time.

One VERY strong reason for not having your controller hosted with 'the competitor' is that if you lose access to the controller you've totally lost control of your network and they have your password and bear in mind that UBNT don't encrypt the passwords for the WLAN in the controller.

Thanks. I need to rip out and tidy up my cabinet. And Finally connect all the rooms with bare cables hanging out the walls. I'll add that to my list.

Associate
Thanks for the clarification all. So to setup/change settings etc, you can use a PC programme, without the cloud controller? If I host the cloud controller myself (It looks like there are unraid dockers I could use), do I need to purchase the cloud key, or is the hosted SW enough?

Soldato
Soldato
Wait. The recent updates haven't been that stellar from reading through various forum posts, so unless you're happy taking a chance, I'd sit back and see how others get on.
Fair enough. I have just added a third AP AC PRO to the setup and I copied the settings from another. Now, every time I try to do anything to it I get "There was an error saving the changes to UAP-AC-Pro:8fc3. Invalid API request."
Can't even give it an alias. Guess I will have to reset it -.-

Back
Top Bottom