Heads Up! - Paypal Changes.

Soldato
If you don't already have 2 Factor Authentication setup on your account you are now locked out until you do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good.

Frankly anyone who's had their account hacked without 2FA enabled, shouldn't even have any recourse for refunds etc.

Soldato
they only allow texts ? ....

...paypal

I don't currently use 2 factor to login to Amazon, but it would appear ebay/paypal are mandating this ?
will have to do some internet trawling later today, as do not have reliable phone connection

To meet new regulations, Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is being added into the PayPal login.

This means that when you login or pay with PayPal, you may be asked for a one-time code that we send via SMS to the phone number you have registered in your profile.

To keep using your PayPal account without interruption, please check that the phone number in your profile is correct.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5...g-Customer-Authentication/td-p/2011104/page/4
My (very limited and uneducated !) understanding is that the Directive and/or UK Legislation specifically addresses the problem of customers with no phone access by requiring that an alternative solution must also be provided. Anyone know for sure and, more to the point, know how to raise this Paypal stupidity and apparent non-compliance with the appropriate regulatory body ? Companies various just assuming "everyone has a mobile in use 24/7" and making these kind of changes need to be seriously challenged and forced to stop knowingly preventing some customers from accessing services just to make life easy for themselves.

I can also confirm that attempting to raise the issue and find a solution with Customer (lack of) Support is a complete waste of time having tried ages ago and again recently. Soon it will no doubt be totally impossible for me to even contact Customer (lack of) Support due to not being able to get around the "you must have a working mobile phone in order to access Paypal" problem.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I use PayPal with a 2FA code off the Authenticator app (I use the MS one as it's just better featured than Google's one. Texts are extra faff.... Get SMS, read SMS, delete SMS, go back to login prompt with code from SMS... Faff! Plus if your phone is in flight mode or GSM network is down, you won't get the text which is why app provided 2FA codes are just better as you don't need an active connection for it to work.

Soldato
Was a pain in the fluff getting the Amazon ones set up for work, seller and vendor are two separate accounts and needed unique email addresses, not too hard adding an extra inbox. They also wanted unique numbers per account, fortunately my personal Amazon account isn't 2FA yet so I've got a work one running on my personal phone until Amazon forces that change through.

Commissario
Texts are extra faff.... Get SMS, read SMS, delete SMS, go back to login prompt with code from SMS... Faff!
I hit the button in the Paypal app to get the sms, it turns up and the phone autofills it straight from the incoming sms. It's practically instant, far quicker than messing about with the authenticator app.

Plus if your phone is in flight mode or GSM network is down, you won't get the text which is why app provided 2FA codes are just better as you don't need an active connection for it to work.
If you don't have an active connection, how can you access your account? Just wondering :p ;)

Soldato
I hit the button in the Paypal app to get the sms
if you don't have gsm coverage, or wifi calling it's not an option

I use PayPal with a 2FA code off the Authenticator app (I use the MS one as it's just better featured than Google's one. Texts are extra faff.... Get SMS, read SMS, delete SMS, go back to login prompt with code from SMS... Faff! Plus if your phone is in flight mode or GSM network is down, you won't get the text which is why app provided 2FA codes are just better as you don't need an active connection for it to work.

ok I'll look that up, was planning to try authy
https://www.maketecheasier.com/google-authenticator-windows/

I'm learning, but seems you initially need to synchronise it with the paypal so may need one text to set it up ...

another article i'd read on paypal vulnerabilities
https://cybernews.com/security/we-found-6-critical-paypal-vulnerabilities-and-paypal-punished-us/

Back
Top Bottom