Network monitor

Associate
Hi

I'm looking for a simple programme that I can install on a PC that runs 24/7 to tell me how much data each device on my home network used, perhaps giving me a nice chart

I've searched the internet and downloaded solarwinds and logicmonitor but if I'm being honest they are way over my head!!!?

Any thoughts/advice?

Cheers

Gas :)

Soldato
AFAIK, to do that there needs to be software on every device or all of the traffic would need to go via the PC (or another device that's collecting the information).

If I wanted that information I'd expect to have to do it at the router/gateway.

Soldato
Untangle is a really easy way to do this. You’ll need a basic PC type platform to run it on. And you can use the free licence until you figure out if you need any of the paid features. For most home purposes the £35/year home licence is more than enough.

Soldato
Untangle is a really easy way to do this. You’ll need a basic PC type platform to run it on. And you can use the free licence until you figure out if you need any of the paid features. For most home purposes the £35/year home licence is more than enough.

From what I've read you have to run untangle as your router, or inline with your router. So the OP wanting to install simple software to run on a pc doesn't sound like a possible solution.

I was looking into this a couple of weeks ago, and it seems the only accurate way to track bandwidth at a device level on your network as at the router layer. There's lots of different software solutions out there from that point.

Soldato
Most decent routers have the ability to show client data usage, anything that can run DDWRT or similar, heck even ASUS. Same with pfsense, Untangle or most firewall distro’s or from memory a USG/Unifi controller.

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for all your feedback,. My router has no bandwidth monitoring and does not support DD-WRT (TP-link ArcherC6) I do though have 3 Unifi AP, I'll take a look at them.

Cheers

Gas

Back
Top Bottom