Spec me a high end build around a AMD Ryzen 5900x

Soldato
Hi guys I don’t tend to upgrade my pc for a while but when I do I like to get good parts for it to make sure it lasts.

I’m currently running a 2500k, 8gb ram, AMD r9 290x, Corsair RM850 (orange label), some Corsair AIO cooler.

I’ve been out the PC game build for a long time and would like to build the system around the new impending 5900x all I know is that it will more than likely be paired with the Big Navi or 3800rtx if I can get ahold of stock.

I need Specced:

ATX motherboard
Hard drives (People still use smaller SSD as main and mechanical for data?)
Ram
AIO Cooler
Power supply (does this need changed?)

I have a case in mind and I have upgraded my peripherals and monitor in anticipation I will also use the Thermaltake P5 case so plenty of flexibility.

I’ll be gaming @1080p competitive CS:GO and hooking up to my 4K TV for other stuff so I need best of both worlds hence high end GPU and CPU.

I’d prefer all RGB components if possible as quite frankly parts I’ve bought so far have had it anyways so prefer to just light it all up or light nothing up not in between.

Thanks

EDIT: I currently have to plug in and plug out to use headphones/speakers - if there could be a motherboard or solution to keep them both plugged in and switch that would be nice.

Man of Honour
I would sugest you start a fresh then you can sell your old build complete. While your old psu is going strong if it's 7 years plus get a new one.

Mechanical hard drive for storage, you want games and windows on a ssd. 1tb minimum as games are getting larger. You can always particion the drive just for w8ndows and programs.

High end but motherboards vary from £200 + x570 tomahawk is £210 and a decent budget board.

Wi-Fi needed ?

Soldato
OP
I would sugest you start a fresh then you can sell your old build complete. While your old psu is going strong if it's 7 years plus get a new one.

Mechanical hard drive for storage, you want games and windows on a ssd. 1tb minimum as games are getting larger. You can always particion the drive just for w8ndows and programs.

High end but motherboards vary from £200 + x570 tomahawk is £210 and a decent budget board.

Wi-Fi needed ?
I’ll probably just give away my old PC
Wifi would be a nice addition if I ever move the PC but where I currently have the PC I have wall routed Ethernet cables.

There is no budget as such as I don’t upgrade regularly I don’t mind paying a bit extra for stuff that may last - but at the same time rather not pay extra if I don’t have to ‘bang for buck’ kind of stuff.

Man of Honour
I have gone for 2 x 16 gb ram but you could go 4x 8gb to make it look nicer .

Cooler is out of stock s9 have a look which you like.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/air-cooling/coolers/cpu/all-in-one-watercooling?sSort=3

Rgb psu.

M2 this is a quality alternative Adata XPG SX8200 Pro M.2

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £836.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Soldato
The 32GB naysayers will say half of that RAM is fine. It ain't. I see 21GB used in Flight Sim 20.

That's quite a specific example though.

When I'm gaming, I run 2 FF instances (Netflix/OcUK), Discord, WA Desktop, MSI AB and CoreTemp. Typically this is normal for Apex, Division 2 and WoW. My RAM usage, on 16gb, is 15.5-15.9gb...I can def see 32gb being the happy medium.

Soldato
OP
Real world performance there's no difference m2 pcie4 v 3 only When you transferring large amounts of data to both fast drives does it helps.

Any opinion on the the other parts I sugested ?
All seem fine tbf not sure on the cooler though why that choice? Are all 3 fan AIO perform similar? Quite like the idea of the Kraken with the custom screen to see temps.

Any reason for that motherboard too seem to be a lot priced around the same as that one

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit. Sorry my bad m.2 pcie 4 is what I’m after
Remember that space you don't have/can't afford has zero speed.
And you'll need lots of space the way games are bloating up, if you play lots of games.
https://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-no-longer-fits-on-a-250gb-ssd/

Adata SX8200 Pro is very well priced full speed PCIe v3 drive.
But for CS:GO WD Blue SN550 would be certainly enough.

EDIT: I currently have to plug in and plug out to use headphones/speakers - if there could be a motherboard or solution to keep them both plugged in and switch that would be nice.
Sound cards usually have switching done with control software.

Soldato
OP
Budget is not really an issue but I get your point but I would have just got a gen4 1tb equivalent but if no real difference no problem.

Does the motherboard have two separate inputs to take speakers + headphones?

EDIT: sorry I may get the sx820 only marginally more

Man of Honour
Budget is not really an issue but I get your point but I would have just got a gen4 1tb equivalent but if no real difference no problem.

Does the motherboard have two separate inputs to take speakers + headphones?

EDIT: sorry I may get the sx820 only marginally more

You will need an audio switcher to have headphone and speakers plugged in together.

Soldato
OP
I have decided I don’t want RGB for the power supply would there be better alternatives? Like the corsairs with 10 year warranty and bigger fan? + cheaper.

Soldato
OP
I have ordered all the parts in anticipations they maybe low due to a rush in buys when CPU’s released. I went with the Phanteks 850w seems good at 12 years warranty.

Soldato
OP
All parts ordered minus cpu & gpu main parts still cost me around £1k haha looking forward to build will show when built on here thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom