What is white privilege?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
The current Government has failed to give an automatic peerage to the former archbishop of York as has been the custom for many years.

It is claimed that this is because there is "no room" in the House of Lords. Despite this shortage of space, Boris Johnson managed to squeeze in his brother, a former Brexit party MEP and the former editor of the Daily Telegraph.

None of the 36 people recently ennobled were from the black community. It seems that only 12 of the 794 peers sitting in the Lords are of black heritage.

By the strangest of circumstances, John Sentamu, the former archbishop of York just happens to be black.

Perhaps that is what is meant by White Privilege?

Sentamu was both tedious and unmeritorious in the pulpit, and hardly deserving of ermine, not that this does not apply to many of the mediocrities already enshrined in the Lords. The Conservatives give you some balance in not ennobling the dreadful Bercow, either, whose only claim to being a person of colour was his shocking tie rack.

Permabanned
Are you kettle?

Are you black? Or just a black crusader, (not the logo type on the Daily Express front page....;)) You seem to have made anti perceived racism a personal crusade in here, to the extent I have to wonder why you are so concerned and get so animated? I am genuinely befuddled as to why the younger generation seems to think ethnics in the UK need or want their ululations and support. Isn't it a bit like insisting to see a perfectly able elderly person across the road, a bit insulting to their own capabilities?

Caporegime
@Theophany

Was halfway through replying when Tony got another thread killed.

The actions of the IRA are not driven by religion. Their way and the atrocities committed are based on nationalism. It just happens that the Republic is a historically Catholic country and has had historic actions committed against it by the historically protestant UK. This meant that the lines of national support could easily be identified by someone's religious affiliation.

The KKK are not a religious organisation. They are nothing but racists. They targeted Catholics because they were typically Irish or Italian immigrants or at least descended from. They also went after Jews...

Permabanned
It's obviously proverbial, not literal. No-one else needed this explaining to them, just you.

It's "obviously proverbial" if you have a gross misunderstanding of the word proverbial, I suppose. But thanks for showing up in my alerts again champ.

@Theophany

Was halfway through replying when Tony got another thread killed.

The actions of the IRA are not driven by religion. Their way and the atrocities committed are based on nationalism. It just happens that the Republic is a historically Catholic country and has had historic actions committed against it by the historically protestant UK. This meant that the lines of national support could easily be identified by someone's religious affiliation.

The KKK are not a religious organisation. They are nothing but racists. They targeted Catholics because they were typically Irish or Italian immigrants or at least descended from.

The point I was getting at is that these organisations weaponise religion. The KKK isn't a religious group in the same way that Mormons are, sure, but they do what they do in the name of their God.

I'm completely au fait with the history of targeted aggression against Catholics in this country coming from an Italian immigrant background whose forebears fled Mussolini's lot. Some of the stories my grandparents told me were insane, but they are a fascinating insight into what it is like to be the victim of racial abuse. I've never been in that situation.

I don't actually think we disagree on a fundamental level when it comes to the actual issue. I just think that it's more difficult for us to look in the mirror and see that religion as a whole causes all manner of problems regardless of which one we're talking about. Hell, I even classify aggressive atheism as a religion.

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The current Government has failed to give an automatic peerage to the former archbishop of York as has been the custom for many years.

It is claimed that this is because there is "no room" in the House of Lords. Despite this shortage of space, Boris Johnson managed to squeeze in his brother, a former Brexit party MEP and the former editor of the Daily Telegraph.

None of the 36 people recently ennobled were from the black community. It seems that only 12 of the 794 peers sitting in the Lords are of black heritage.

By the strangest of circumstances, John Sentamu, the former archbishop of York just happens to be black.

It is more likely that John Sentamu's politics was the barrier rather than his race. Not that I am defending the current shower in any way.

Capodecina
Soldato
It is more likely that John Sentamu's politics was the barrier rather than his race. Not that I am defending the current shower in any way.
Certainly, the current Government appears to be determined to fill the House of Lords with Yes Men (and Yes Women). In fact, based on Boris Johnson's attempt to prorogue Parliament for five weeks last year and his current determination to rule by diktat rather than allowing debate in Parliament gives a clear indication of his disdain for democracy.

However, this doesn't alter the fact the there are remarkably few "Lords of Colour"; in fact only 12 of the 794 peers sitting in the Lords are of black heritage.

Associate
Certainly, the current Government appears to be determined to fill the House of Lords with Yes Men (and Yes Women). In fact, based on Boris Johnson's attempt to prorogue Parliament for five weeks last year and his current determination to rule by diktat rather than allowing debate in Parliament gives a clear indication of his disdain for democracy.

However, this doesn't alter the fact the there are remarkably few "Lords of Colour"; in fact only 12 of the 794 peers sitting in the Lords are of black heritage.
People will always look to find alternative reasons, when there is already circumstantial evidence (like the figures you cite) for the most obvious explanation.

Sad.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
People will always look to find alternative reasons, when there is already circumstantial evidence (like the figures you cite) for the most obvious explanation.

Sad.

I am not looking to find alternative reasons. I just think that it is much more likely that his vocal opposition to Brexit is the main reason rather than the colour of his skin. John Brecon didn’t get a place either and he isn’t black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom