Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
I think direct from the Sky Router may have less latency, do you know what (if any) the difference between ~800 and odd vs 1200mb connection speed would be and how this would manifest itself?

Are you using the Honor 3 for more than just the Quest?

The best one to connect to is the one with fastest Wifi. There is no difference really between the connection speeds as the Virtual desktop connection tops out at 150Mbs.

Soldato
If you were starting out from scratch, and had to buy a decent new router to run the quest 2, what kind of price are we looking at? Is it going to get us into G2 territory?

Soldato
Ok, supposing if you were trying to do wired on the cheap, would the headset and router and any other essentials, take you up to the cost of a G2?

Soldato
OP
Ok, supposing if you were trying to do wired on the cheap, would the headset and router and any other essentials, take you up to the cost of a G2?

Not sure how much a G2 is, bur
Quest 2 £299
Elite Headstrap £50

If required, Router £49

So still under £400...guessing that's a lot cheaper than the C2...

Soldato
OP
Are you using the Honor 3 for more than just the Quest?

The best one to connect to is the one with fastest Wifi. There is no difference really between the connection speeds as the Virtual desktop connection tops out at 150Mbs.

Nope, dedicated 5G on the Honor to just the Quest, same as the separate 5G on the Sky router (diff individual SSIDs)

Soldato
Not sure how much a G2 is, bur
Quest 2 £299
Elite Headstrap £50

If required, Router £49

So still under £400...guessing that's a lot cheaper than the C2...

I'm fine with the basic headstrap, haven't felt that uncomfortable with it. Elite may be better but I'd not say it's essential. I'm waiting to see a bigger range of 3rd party options and reviews.

You will need a cable though. Doesn't have to be the official one however. So another ~£20? You don't need a new router for wired. The router would be for wireless, in which case you don't need the cable ( and maybe not the new router depending on your circumstances).

Soldato

If you wanted to do it on the cheap, Buy the £299 Quest 2 and a £20 USB cable, like Unseul says, and you have PCVR gaming for half the price of the G2.

Even if you bought the Elite Strap with the Battery and the Official Oculus link cable, it still wouldn't cost as much as the Reverb G2.

Associate
Tried 5ghz Router with the Q2 via VD. Latency around 30-35ms with bitrate set to 85.

Although I was impressed with how it ran, it's defo not as smooth as something like a Rift S or an Index. I'm getting the occasional judder which makes me feel queesy, also the visuals aren't great at large distances, so no good for racing sims really.

I'm starting to think about potentially buying a G2 for PC games and keeping the Q2 for standalone / wireless stuff that I can bring anywhere.

Soldato
I'm starting to think about potentially buying a G2 for PC games and keeping the Q2 for standalone / wireless stuff that I can bring anywhere.

That's probably the best compromise. I'll keep using my Index for sims and seated experiences, but the Quest 2 has fully taken over for active games, roomscale and watching media. Though since using the Quest the Index SDE is suddenly visible where it was hardly noticable before!

Associate
That's probably the best compromise. I'll keep using my Index for sims and seated experiences, but the Quest 2 has fully taken over for active games, roomscale and watching media. Though since using the Quest the Index SDE is suddenly visible where it was hardly noticable before!

Would be great if Oculus ever came out with a display port cable so you could connect to the headset direct and not have to stream the content. Then it truely would be an all in one headset.

Soldato
OP
I'm fine with the basic headstrap, haven't felt that uncomfortable with it. Elite may be better but I'd not say it's essential. I'm waiting to see a bigger range of 3rd party options and reviews.

You will need a cable though. Doesn't have to be the official one however. So another ~£20? You don't need a new router for wired. The router would be for wireless, in which case you don't need the cable ( and maybe not the new router depending on your circumstances).

Completely agree, it is fine with the supplied headstrap. However, if anyone else uses the Quest 2 it's a pain to keep altering the fit, whereas the Elite strap is a doddle to change. Given it's mobile I'll be taking it to family and friends (virus permitting!) as it's good fun watching others, in a "normal" year it'd be a brilliant Xmas plaything for all the family.

Soldato
So anyone here actually running the Honor 3 for the quest?
My current router does a decent job but I get a few hitches as its downstairs to me and cant be brought up.

Stuck deciding between the Honor 3 or a TP-link AX10.

Soldato

Get the cheapest one. But don't replace your router downstairs.

I take it there is a cable running from the Router downstairs to your PC?

Get your new router, set it as an access point and connect the cable from the router downstairs into it. Then connect your PC to the new router with another cable.

Make sure the SSID of the 5ghz and 2.4ghz wireless networks on the new router are different.

Connect your Quest 2 to the new router using the 5Ghz SSID.

Enjoy your new low latency gaming :)

Soldato
OP
My current router does a decent job but I get a few hitches as its downstairs to me and cant be brought up.

Yep, I actually bought two for £80 from the Chinese Bay, one is dedicated for the Quest (5G) not had any problems but I think the Sky router (5G dedicated) is on par with it, connection isn't as good according to virtual desktop, 1200 vs 860, but latency is about the same 30ms in Beatsaber.

Both Honor 3's are in Bridge mode (I'm in a three story house, so stuck the other on the top floor - different SSID).

For £40 I'd have no complaints.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Associate
Little update on my set up. It seems my AX6000 bridging the Wifi from the downstairs Virgin router works, but it reduces the internet speed by half. My USB Netgear adapter in my PC however, when connecting to the Virgin router downstairs, can get max internet speeds. There's obviously some sort of issue on the router that's causing the constriction, but for now I'll just live with it, and if I need max speeds on my PC (for downloading big games) then I'll just disable the ethernet (connected to the AX6000) and enable my wifi (connected to the Virgin router downstairs). And then switch back when I want to use Virtual Desktop with the Quest 2.

Soldato

I purchased one direct form the honor store. Needed a new router as I was still running a n66u.
Router is great for the price.
Connects to the quest via WiFi6 and I get around 28ms latency when streaming games via VD so happy with that.

Soldato
OP
I purchased one direct form the honor store. Needed a new router as I was still running a n66u.
Router is great for the price.
Connects to the quest via WiFi6 and I get around 28ms latency when streaming games via VD so happy with that.

How is your set up wired, are you PC direct to the Honor 3?

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom