Leon FR or Audi A3

Soldato
Looking at the Leon 1.5 TSI EVO FR and the Audi A3 30 TFSI Sport 5dr (1.0 Turbo)
They are roughly the same price on a lease deal, looking to test drive the Leon at the weekend, Local Audi dealer doesn't have the 1 litre turbo A3 in stock :(

looks like the Leon FR has more kit than the Audi A3 Sport.. and wondering if the 1 litre turbo is a bit underpowered for an A3!

anyone here driven them?

cheers

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Leon will be more powerful and have more spec for the money. The A3 will have higher quality interior plastics.
Oh, and a 1-litre A3? That engine is just about doable in an A1, but I'd hate to have it in an A3.

Associate
Flipping heck 200 big ones a month will nearly get you into a Fst - ok put a few quid extra into it and definitely. I am sure i saw the last model go a low as 190 a month pcp which is insane VFM.

200 on a poverty spec boring Audi no thanks.

Soldato
OP
Flipping heck 200 big ones a month will nearly get you into a Fst - ok put a few quid extra into it and definitely. I am sure i saw the last model go a low as 190 a month pcp which is insane VFM.

200 on a poverty spec boring Audi no thanks.

Fiesta ST or Focus ST? you got a link?

Associate
https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars?f[0]... TO 250]&f[3]=trim:ST-3&f[4]=vehicle_type:car

If you do some digging and can pop maybe 50 quid a month more on your budget you might squeeze into a new or nearly new st2.

... .and my god there is a mahoooooosive difference between something awful like an A3 and prob the best decent priced hothatch on the market.

When i got my mx5 i was seeing quotes for nearly 400 from my local mazda dealer, i then found online quotes for 300 on PCP - when i went back and challenged the dealer they dropped the monthly to within a couple of quid of the online price so i bought it there and then on pcp - 304 quid a month for a brand new sport Nav (near top of the range) 2lt MX5 was a good deal imho and just shows what a haggle can do.

So push the boat out, there are deals out there.

Soldato
Having owned and driven the 1.4 version of the Leon you're looking at, they're rather decent. My only problem was the lesser sound dampening would certainly show on motorways and could become a nuisance on poor road surfaces. Other than that, you're getting something that's a decent drive, plenty space, good visibility, good equipment, comfortable, etc. You'll never be a B road warrior with the torsion beam rear, but by the time it's unstuck you're not doing legal speeds anyway. Engine is very smooth and quiet and once you're used to it, can easily achieve over 50 MPG pretty much wherever you go. Good amount of power too, unlike the blender engine in that Audi. Perfectly good all rounder.

oR BuY a FoCuS BeCaUsE oThEr CaRs aRe ****

Soldato
I don't think it's necessarily because other cars are crap, however paying £arbitraryamount for the bargain basement spec over a fairly well specced other marque seems idiotic.

Unless they've changed their trim names, the FR isn't the base spec. Certainly when I owned mine, there was only the titanium above it (which I had) and the only option it didn't have was heated seats. Without knowing the entirety of the finance deal, or the OPs needs, we can't say that for certain neither, hence why I've only commented on the car. For all I know, this could be a year long lease thing with no upfront. It won't be, but you get the idea.

Man of Honour
Unless they've changed their trim names, the FR isn't the base spec

They've changed the trim names. It's one up from the SE, which is the base spec. When the FR trim level first came out 15 years ago it was effectively a replacement for the non R Cupra but things have changed somewhat since then.

Associate
Unless they've changed their trim names, the FR isn't the base spec. Certainly when I owned mine, there was only the titanium above it (which I had) and the only option it didn't have was heated seats. Without knowing the entirety of the finance deal, or the OPs needs, we can't say that for certain neither, hence why I've only commented on the car. For all I know, this could be a year long lease thing with no upfront. It won't be, but you get the idea.

I was more referring to the 1L A3 than the FR since that would naturally be a better spec than the Audi.

Soldato
I was more referring to the 1L A3 than the FR since that would naturally be a better spec than the Audi.

Fair enough. In my head, I had completely removed that car from discussion :p

They've changed the trim names. It's one up from the SE, which is the base spec. When the FR trim level first came out 15 years ago it was effectively a replacement for the non R Cupra but things have changed somewhat since then.

I see. That explains the base spec complaints then! I knew they had tried to branch out by making Cupra it's own brand, but can't say I've kept up with any other changes that went on.

Man of Honour
I mean yea if it has to be one it's the Leon but be careful if it's a good lease deal, there has just been a new Leon released and the deals could be clearing out the old model.

Back
Top Bottom